ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the current Top 10 HS football programs in Illinois

“Nerds eye” view – based on playoff performance – Last 5 Years

Points assigned as follows: Championship=6, Finals Appearance=5, Semis=4, Quarters=3, 2nd Round=2, and Qualify=1

Rank School Points

1 Rochester 27
2 Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) 24
2 Lombard (Montini) 24
2 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West) 24
5 Maroa (M.-Forsyth) 22
5 Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 22
7 Cary (C.-Grove) 19
8 Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 18
8 Forreston 18
8 Sterling (Newman Central Catholic) 18
8 Chicago (Phillips) 18
8 Belleville (Althoff) 18
13 Lena (L.-Winslow) 17
13 Tolono (Unity) 17
15 LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) 16
15 Park Ridge (Maine South) 16
15 Downs (Tri-Valley) 16
15 Frankfort (Lincoln-Way East) 16
15 Toulon (Stark County) 16
20 East St. Louis (Sr.) 15
20 Wilmington 15
20 Lincolnshire (Stevenson) 15
20 Crete (C.-Monee) 15
20 St. Joseph (S.J.-Ogden) 15
20 Geneseo 15
20 Lake Forest (H.S.) 15
20 Carrollton 15

These 27 schools "average" a QF appearance every year - pretty solid.

How can Crete Monee not be in the Top 10 programs? They have been one of the top recruiting stops in the state since 2010. They have lost 2 games in the conference since 2007. 10 straight conference championships, 2012 State Champs, 2015 State Runner-up and countless Freshmen All-Americans in College. Looks like in the next year or two they will have 5 NFL players. Thornton is the only other team to do that if i recall. The state of Illinois is putting out some great football as of late. I am a huge fan of Samson Evans. I think he is going to be a great one!

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
How can Crete Monee not be in the Top 10 programs? They have been one of the top recruiting stops in the state since 2010. They have lost 2 games in the conference since 2007. 10 straight conference championships, 2012 State Champs, 2015 State Runner-up and countless Freshmen All-Americans in College. Looks like in the next year or two they will have 5 NFL players. Thornton is the only other team to do that if i recall. The state of Illinois is putting out some great football as of late. I am a huge fan of Samson Evans. I think he is going to be a great one!
Put them in your Top 10.....

I wish this meant something--sadly it doesnt

Freshman All Americans? What does an individual player's college performance have to do with their HS program?

Who was an AA? And which AA teams are we to consider? There are quite a few.

Last edited:
Epic,

I'm betting you can count those "countless All-Americans" on less than two hands, maybe less than one.

Freshman All Americans? What does an individual player's college performance have to do with their HS program?

Who was an AA? And which AA teams are we to consider? Their are quite a few.

You can start the count with Laquan Treadwell.
From there I recall a LB who was highly rated.
Others??

Is Treadwell the most productive college player in the last 5 years?
Pocic?

Corey Davis I would guess finished his career as FBS career receiving yards leader and is projected as a first round draft pick. If it wasn't for grades he would gone to a bigger school then Western Michigan.

My Top 10

Loyola
SHG
GW
Rochester
Prairie Ridge
ESL
L-W East
Montini
Crete Monee
B.Ricemail

In no specific order

He wasn't even a Freshman AA, Treadwell was. I still don't get what that has to do with the HS program's rankings tho.

I used to post a listing of the top programs (overall and each decade) on a website I had years ago. While the website is gone, I do keep up with the rankings. Like an earlier post, I used 6 points for each state championship, 5 points for making the final game, 4 points for semi-finals, 3 for the quarterfinals, 2 for the second round and 1 point for the first playoff game.

Not a "who would beat who" but just top programs of any size for how well they did in the playoffs over the years.

RANKINGS (TEAM) 2010-2016

Rk
Pts Team 1RST 2ND
132 Rochester 6
118 Lombard (Montini) 4 2
89 Maroa (M.-Forsyth) 1 3
Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 1 3
84 Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) 2 1
81 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West) 2
73 Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 2 1
Sterling (Newman Central Catholic) 2
69 Crystal Lake (Prairie Ridge) 2
66 Lena (L.-Winslow) 2

All time I had:

Rk Pts Team 1RST 2ND
441 Joliet (Catholic) 13 4
426 Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 12 5
345 New Lenox (Providence) 10 3
341 East St. Louis (Sr.) 8 3
304 Geneseo (Darnall) 4 6
304 Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) 5 5
285 Wheaton (W. Warrenville South) 7 4
264 Morris 3 7
259 Carthage (Illini West) 6 5
258 Metamora 3 7

Last edited:
Cary Grove's resume last 13 years

PLAYOFF QUALIFIER: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

STATE QUARTERFINALISTS: 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2016

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2007

UNDEFEATED CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014

SEMIFINALIST: 2015

STATE FINALIST: 2004, 2012, 2014

STATE CHAMPION: 2009

I used to post a listing of the top programs (overall and each decade) on a website I had years ago. While the website is gone, I do keep up with the rankings. Like an earlier post, I used 6 points for each state championship, 5 points for making the final game, 4 points for semi-finals, 3 for the quarterfinals, 2 for the second round and 1 point for the first playoff game.

Not a "who would beat who" but just top programs of any size for how well they did in the playoffs over the years.

RANKINGS (TEAM) 2010-2016

Rk
Pts Team 1RST 2ND
132 Rochester 6
118 Lombard (Montini) 4 2
89 Maroa (M.-Forsyth) 1 3
Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 1 3
84 Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) 2 1
81 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West) 2
73 Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 2 1
Sterling (Newman Central Catholic) 2
69 Crystal Lake (Prairie Ridge) 2
66 Lena (L.-Winslow) 2

All time I had:

Rk Pts Team 1RST 2ND
441 Joliet (Catholic) 13 4
426 Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 12 5
345 New Lenox (Providence) 10 3
341 East St. Louis (Sr.) 8 3
304 Geneseo (Darnall) 4 6
304 Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) 5 5
285 Wheaton (W. Warrenville South) 7 4
264 Morris 3 7
259 Carthage (Illini West) 6 5
258 Metamora 3 7

Mt Carmel and SHG are the only two school that appear on both lists...interesting.

Mount Carmel
SGH
Loyola
Glenbard West
Cary Grove
Montini
East St Louis
Prairie Ridge
Sterling Newman
Maine South

Reactions: Gene K.
Apparently public school fans aren't able to post and talk about the team they support....

Public school fans are allowed to vociferously promote their program here. The privates just tend to go at it a bit more. Change that.

Supporting your school is different than whining that no one supports your program on the board. Everyone wants other posters to respect their program and secretly hopes others will rain down glory on their program. Problem is that for the most part, no one is going to get the ball rolling unless someone starts the parade. And after starting the parade, you have to also establish cred that you won't run and hide when your team takes a beating. Integrity is key. Starting any comment with "I know no respects x because this board only cares about privates" will get you hazed every time. No one has time to soothe your (not you specifically) feeling of entitlement. Make your case and be ready to honestly defend your position. That's it. @crusader_of_90 keeps everyone abreast with the goings on down South and never starts by saying "no one respects/talks about southern teams." He just does it.

I have never dissed LWE because those guys always seem to show up and deliver. LWE might have been considered a "disappointment" last year fairly or unfairly. On paper, they returned a bunch of studs and inherited others in the consolidation. Bringing all those kids together and getting everyone on the same LWE playbook may have required a reset year. I would imagine LWE will bring the pain this year. Someone needs to start the ball rolling by telling the LWE (our your favorite school) story for 2018. Lay it out there. Check your (everyone) sensitivities at the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Public school fans are allowed to vociferously promote their program here. The privates just tend to go at it a bit more. Change that.

Supporting your school is different than whining that no one supports your program on the board. Everyone wants other posters to respect their program and secretly hopes others will rain down glory on their program. Problem is that for the most part, no one is going to get the ball rolling unless someone starts the parade. And after starting the parade, you have to also establish cred that you won't run and hide when your team takes a beating. Integrity is key. Starting any comment with "I know no respects x because this board only cares about privates" will get you hazed every time. No one has time to soothe your (no you specifically) feeling of entitlement. Make your case and be ready to honestly defend your position. That's it. @crusader_of_90 keeps everyone abreast with the goings on down South and never starts by saying "no one respects/talks about southern teams." He just does it.

I have never dissed LWE because those guys always seem to show up and deliver. LWE might have been considered a "disappointment" last year fairly or unfairly. On paper, they returned a bunch of studs and inherited others in the consolidation. Bringing all those kids together and getting everyone on the same LWE playbook may have required a reset year. I would imagine LWE will bring the pain this year. Someone needs to start the ball rolling by telling the LWE (our your favorite school) story for 2018. Lay it out there. Check your (everyone) sensitivities at the door.

Agreed. People can only talk about what they know. You have to earn respect on this board as well as in life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT