ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the current Top 10 HS football programs in Illinois

Wow this is TOUGH to limit to 10. I'm going to leave a bunch of teams out and folks are going to get angry,.. but the key phrase is CURRENT? ie in the last 4-5 years is what that means to me (sorry that drops out WWS and some big storied programs). Also - I don't know much about most smaller schools (1A-5A)

In No particular order...
* Montini
* Loyola
*Glenbard West
* Sacred Heart Griffin
* Maine South
* Stevenson
* Prairie Ridge (last couple years + LY title gets them in for me)
* Rochester
*HF
* Waubonsie (ok most folks wont have them on their list - but 11 straight years making the playoffs in 8A being one of the smaller 8A schools (2500 kids) with a couple runs to Quarters and one to Semi's - and hell - this is my list ;)

Edit - Dang... a case should be made for ESL - the strike year shouldn't count against them..

Last edited:
Gonna have to make a homer case for Palatine.

This decade:
2010 = 7-5 - 8A Quarterfinals
2011 = 9-2
2012 = 10-2 - 8A Quartfinals
2013 = 4-5
2014 = 8-3
2015 = 10-3 - 8A Semifinalist
2016 = 12-1 - 8A Semifinalist .. and let's be honest, with a healthy Oles this teams winds up 14-0 and wins 8A last year. They made it to the semis and were 7 pts down to eventual state champs with 6 minutes left in game before it unraveled; all with Oles getting injured in the second possession of the first playoff game.

The way I read this is: Top 10 programs you would not want to face if you needed your team to beat in order to save your life.

Everyone's criteria will be different I'm sure. Some will be in the moment some will be more history based and some will be a cross between the two.

10 off the top of my head...

Loyola
Montini
East St. Louis
Glenbard West
Rochester
Homewood-Flossmoor
Maine South
Sacred Heart-Griffin
Mt.Camel
Stevenson

I keep seeing HF on people's list, and respectfully disagree. All the teams on this list should have a State Championship. HF hasn't won the big one since 1994. Can't be a top 10 program with 0 state titles in over 20 years.

This decade:
2011 = 9-2
2013 = 4-5
2014 = 8-3
2016 = 12-1 - 8A Semifinalist .. and let's be honest, with a healthy Oles this teams winds up 14-0 and wins 8A last year. They made it to the semis and were 7 pts down to eventual state champs with 6 minutes left in game before it unraveled; all with Oles getting injured in the second possession of the first playoff game.
Pretty bold statement....

Reactions: McCaravan
As I post this, nobody has mentioned any program smaller than Rochester. Do the small schools with sustained success not count as top programs? I'm thinking of schools like IC, Forreston, and Maroa-Forsyth.

Also, nobody has mentioned Naz or Phillips so far. Interesting.

Reactions: Bowie50
As I post this, nobody has mentioned any program smaller than Rochester. Do the small schools with sustained success not count as top programs? I'm thinking of schools like IC, Forreston, and Maroa-Forsyth.

As far as Naz and Phillips, I think they need more sustained success to qualify as a top 10 program. If they continue their success at a high level for the next 3-5 years, then I would include them.

This decade:
2011 = 9-2
2013 = 4-5
2014 = 8-3

Many moons ago when I was a young whippersnapper on the Edgy board I said something about what could have been for MS in 2003-2005 if we did this or that.
To which someone replied "If my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle". Very fitting for this statement you make.

Rochester,Eastside,MS,PR,LA,GBW,Montini,

Reactions: LAguy and Bowie50
Best PROGRAMS right meow, not best teams, as in over the next few seasons I expect excellence.

Loyola
MS
ESL
PR
GW
C-G
Nazareth
MC
Rochester

Best PROGRAMS right meow, not best teams, as in over the next few seasons I expect excellence.

Loyola
MS
ESL
PR
GW
C-G
Nazareth
MC
Rochester

LOYOLA
PRARIE RIDGE
MAINE SOUTH
GLENBARD WEST
ESL
ROCHESTER
STEVENSON
MT CARMEL
BATAVIA
CARY GROVE

Reactions: atrain97
My picks would be :

Loyola - Consistently at the top of 8A
Prairie Ridge - At least with Samson Evans at QB
Montini - Not bad for what is basically a 4A school
Maine South - Always in the running for 8a title
Rochester - Small school but powerhouse
Sacred Heart Griffin - Always competitive, another success factor school
Mount Carmel - Never count out the Caravan or Lenti
Glenbard West - Hitters are always in the mix for a title
ESL - Another consistent team, admired for requesting class move up!

My list based on recent history, meaning last five years. No particular order.

My Carmel
Naz
East St Louis
Cary Grove
Rochester
Loyola
Sacred Heart Griffin
Phillips
IC
Herscher

My Carmel
Naz
East St Louis
Cary Grove
Rochester
Loyola
Sacred Heart Griffin
Phillips
IC
Herscher

Herscher? They do not belong in this conversation. Over the last 5 years Herscher is 39-15 with a quarterfinal appearance. If you take away last years 11-1 season, they are a very pedestrian 28-14. A nice record, but nowhere near deserving of top 10 program status.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

You are spot on with Forreston. Easily the biggest lock for next years returning state champs to repeat.

Herscher? They do not belong in this conversation. Over the last 5 years Herscher is 39-15 with a quarterfinal appearance. If you take away last years 11-1 season, they are a very pedestrian 28-14. A nice record, but nowhere near deserving of top 10 program status.
Agree

Post your own list... quit yapping about the flaws of others

Wow! I can't believe nobody saw the Herscher inclusion as a joke. Come on, people.

Post your own list... quit yapping about the flaws of others

No particular order...

LA
MS
GBW
ESL
MC
Montini
Rochester
Naz
Forreston
SHG

I do want to add, though, that top program does not necessarily equate to titles, although every school listed above has at least one in the last four years. When I think top program, I think more in terms of coaching and consistent high levels of success than I do titles. I can think of several programs that haven't won a title at all or in many years that I would say are also top programs. Those would be:

Marist
LWE
HF
Althoff
Barrington
Palatine
HF
Unity
St Joe-Ogden

No particular order...

LA
MS
GBW
ESL
MC
Montini
Rochester
Naz
Forreston
SHG

I do want to add, though, that top program does not necessarily equate to titles, although every school listed above has at least one in the last four years. When I think top program, I think more in terms of coaching and consistent high levels of success than I do titles. I can think of several programs that haven't won a title at all or in many years that I would say are also top programs. Those would be:

Marist
LWE
HF
Althoff
Barrington
Palatine
HF
Unity
St Joe-Ogden
Thank you

Just FYI, in Weeks 1 and 2 next season, the Griffins host Crete-Monee then travel to Maine South. Interesting!

Hate doing this, but gotta give props to Maine South for scheduling..First 4 next year looks like @Glenbard West, Lincoln Way East, Fremd and @Palatine in order. Definitely not scheduling creampuffs.

Reactions: Gene K.
Hate doing this, but gotta give props to Maine South for scheduling..First 4 next year looks like @Glenbard West, Lincoln Way East, Fremd and @Palatine in order. Definitely not scheduling creampuffs.
Always had a great non-con schedule. But this might be biting off a little to much.

My Carmel
Naz
East St Louis
Cary Grove
Rochester
Loyola
Sacred Heart Griffin
Phillips
IC
Herscher

Naz, Phillips and IC. No Montini with 3 titles in the last 5 years? This is why these polls never make sense to me.

With all due respect to the reigning king (and inverse namesake)...

LA
MC
GW
Montini
SHG
MS
ESL
Althoff
LWE
Rochester

My definition excludes schools where a great class or two works their way through a school. Programs are impressive when they avoid rebuilding years. Multiple titles help.

Reactions: flyerforlife
With all due respect to the reigning king (and inverse namesake)...

LA
MC
GW
Montini
SHG
MS
ESL
Althoff
LWE
Rochester

My definition excludes schools where a great class or two works their way through a school. Programs are impressive when they avoid rebuilding years. Multiple titles help.

I like this list

Reactions: capnbillhitters
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT