ADVERTISEMENT

Question for a ref or knowledgeable fan

Hofman

Nov 8, 2001
I have been stumped on a call from the JCA/Crete call for weeks and can't get an answer from my friends. Glad I have this board!

Situation: Crete needs a first down and they are on their own 30. ( yard lines are only approximates and not critical. Crete runner makes the corner and turns up field with a JCA linebacker chasing about 2-3 yards behind. JCA corner starts charging up and the Crete runner keenly aware of what he needs steps over the marker on the 40 and goes full steam into a mass of his teammates. The JCA linebacker slows down but also gets swallowed up by Crete bench players. JCA cornerback is irrelevant. All of a sudden a flag flies and all assume a late hit by the JCA linebacker. That was not the case. Referees confer a while and signal a personal foul against Crete. He takes the ball out to the forty, signals 1st down, walks off 15 yards and then sets it down on the 25. But then instead of first and 25 he sets it as 1st and ten.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened? Why was it not 1st and 25? THANKS!!

Doesn’t sound to me that they stepped it off properly. Since it was a dead ball foul, the end of the run is the spot to mark off the foul. They step off 15 from the end of the run and it’s first and 10. I think they got the spot right. But it should’ve been 1st and 10 following the foul.

Doesn’t sound to me that they stepped it off properly. Since it was a dead ball foul, the end of the run is the spot to mark off the foul. They step off 15 from the end of the run and it’s first and 10. I think they got the spot right. But it should’ve been 1st and 10 following the foul.
Ok Lake but it was 1st and ten from the 15. I thought it would be 1st and 25. Obviously I am wrong I just can't figure out why. I am not dumb but could you try to explain again in a different way. Thank you.

It sounds like this was a dead ball foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. From your description, I will assume a Crete player(s) on the sideline did something to the JCA player, and the ref threw the flag.

I’m also assuming the 1st and 10 vs 1st and 25 has something to do with it being a dead ball foul.

Reactions: Hofman
Apparently, he gets the first down. Then a dead ball foul occurred. Thus, he reached the line to gain (1st and 10 as all new series start) and the 15 yard penalty is walked back.

The Deadball foul was before the before the ball was spotted "ready for play" is why it was 1st and 10. Dead ball foul after the ball is spotted for play is where you could have a first and more than 10. OR obviously if a first down live ball foul is accepted by the defense where you replay the down behind the initial spot is the other. The other more crazy scenario is if a deadball foul after regulation carries over into overtime, it would be 1st n goal from the 25.

Reactions: Hofman and ignazio
This is similar to a penalty on a kickoff return. After the play is over, the ref walks off the penalty yards and it’s first and ten.

If the foul occurred after the line to gain was obtained but before the chains were set for the next series, then it's first and ten. If the chains were set and a foul occurred the it would be first and 25 .

If the foul occurred after the line to gain was obtained but before the chains were set for the next series, then it's first and ten. If the chains were set and a foul occurred the it would be first and 25 .
^^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT