ADVERTISEMENT

Q: Top on campus IHSA Football Stadium?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Just saw a tweet today from Sterling promoting the upcoming IHSA season in just 8 weeks...and that got me thinking. So who has some of the best on campus football stadiums?

Sterling no question for me is a Top 5 entry......others?

Love the layout of sports in general at Edwardsville.....Rock Island? Technically not on campus????? Same with Wilmington technically?

Newbies? Mount Carmel no doubt is already a Top 5 in my opinion and will be a prototype for others to follow I'm sure. SHG also did an amazing job with it's on campus stadium and facilities.

You? Post em here.

Clyde-Jordan-Stadium-6.jpg

All.... I found the "House of Pain" as they call it very nice. A short few minutes once you exit off of 255. Easy in and out. AND of course if you end up parking next door in tailgate heaven among all of those big tents one can have a very good time before the game starts. Ratsy

I’ve always like St Charles East and Naperville Central.

Gonna have to go with the homer pick here, Morris. Not necessarily the best facility (that title belongs to Sterling for the foreseeable future), but to me this is HS football. The school just past one end zone, train tracks just beyond the other end zone, and the smell of pork chops in the air on a FRIDAY night when HS games should be played can't be beat.

While the new scoreboard and turf are absolutely beautiful, I'm old school and miss the natural grass and crown in the field that was so pronounced that if you were on one sideline you could only see people on the other sideline from the waist up.

Last edited:
Gonna have to go with the homer pick here, Morris. Not necessarily the best facility (that title belongs to Sterling for the foreseeable future), but to me this is HS football. The school just past one end zone, train tracks just beyond the other end zone, and the smell of pork chops in the air on a FRIDAY night when HS games should be played can't be beat.

While the new scoreboard and turf are absolutely beautiful, I'm old school and miss the natural grass and crown in the field that was so pronounced that if you were on one sideline you could only people on the other sideline from the waist up.
Morris did it well but still have one more biggie left to do......new lights!

Reactions: 4Afan
Morris did it well but still have one more biggie left to do......new lights!
Can't argue with that. I just hope that if they go with LED lights they don't start doing stupid light shows that you see colleges doing. That just looks incredibly cheesy to me.

Can't argue with that. I just hope that if they go with LED lights they don't start doing stupid light shows that you see colleges doing. That just looks incredibly cheesy to me.
Wilmington did that recently and I’m not sure I like it. Love the lights. Still on the fence about the special effects after scores.

Reactions: 4Afan
I'll take both setups in Quincy over all of em... 😁

That said, the nicest setup I've seen at the high school level to date is SHG. Chatham Glenwood is top 25 for sure.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Glenbard West's Duchon Field. Great setting, next door to Lake Ellyn and surrounded by picturesque homes. Green grass, no lights - Duchon is the ultimate throwback stadium. That's what makes #1 in my mind.

Duchon meets all the criteria BUT…. Do you actually want a place for the visiting team to sit? That is somewhat important one would think in this evaluation.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Glenbard West's Duchon Field. Great setting, next door to Lake Ellyn and surrounded by picturesque homes. Green grass, no lights - Duchon is the ultimate throwback stadium. That's what makes #1 in my mind.
I love that set-up at GW

Reactions: Jenny27
Has anyone actually attended a game at East Aurora? The stadium is fantastic looking but I’ve never actually been in it for a game.

Duchon meets all the criteria BUT…. Do you actually want a place for the visiting team to sit? That is somewhat important one would think in this evaluation.
Good point about the visiting seating. They do need to add more seats on that side. And there's room for it I'm sure.

Didn't Morris change to LED's ? Not the spaceship looking but the round ones?

While outdated in terms of amenities, I've always enjoyed Marian Central. Tucked in the corner of the property, amongst the trees, natural grass, stands on top of the action.

Reactions: colin2229
They have LEDs this year per 4Afan. He’s looking forward to the light show.
No LEDs in Morris yet. They did the turf and scoreboard a couple years ago, but as Edgy mentioned the lights are in dire need of replacement.

For me, Glenbard west it tops by a pretty wide margin.

Others I really like

- Morris
- Waubonsie
- Coal City
- Mundelein (though parking is a disaster)
Agree it’s hard to imagine there’s much better. The beauty of the area is offset by having to park across the tracks where a 900 car up-west line train passes through every 2 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT