ADVERTISEMENT

Q: Most Underrated IHSA Football Programs Year in and Year out

Underrated or just a mediocre program? In the last 10 full seasons, the Cadets are 55-50 and 3-6 in the playoffs.

True but they did produce more current active players in the NFL than any other team in IL that I know of.

Reactions: USD24
Warren Township is under rated ... not because they have not won a title or never ranked. I say they are under rated because they are way north ... most people do not know where they are located ... they get in the conversation after Loyola (after Lake Cook road), Stevenson, Lake Zurich, etc. Most people on the site talk about schools in the city, west, or southwest suburban teams. Warren has big time talent almost every year but get looked over in some cases. I started home of six flags so people had a marker where the school was located and it kind stuck. Anyway they are loaded again and not going away. I invite anyone out north if they want to see some physical football. It's not throw the ball over the place ... its line up and see who has been in the weight room. Plus the food & shopping is nice... lol. Looking forward to FALL Football. God bless everyone 🙏🏾🎢

Warren Township is under rated ... not because they have not won a title or never ranked. I say they are under rated because they are way north ... most people do not know where they are located ... they get in the conversation after Loyola (after Lake Cook road), Stevenson, Lake Zurich, etc. Most people on the site talk about schools in the city, west, or southwest suburban teams. Warren has big time talent almost every year but get looked over in some cases. I started home of six flags so people had a marker where the school was located and it kind stuck. Anyway they are loaded again and not going away. I invite anyone out north if they want to see some physical football. It's not throw the ball over the place ... its line up and see who has been in the weight room. Plus the food & shopping is nice... lol. Looking forward to FALL Football. God bless everyone 🙏🏾🎢
“Most people don’t know where they are located.” Impossible! 😉

Reactions: USD24
Underrated...underappreciated. There are a lot of conference #2 schools that fit into this category. In smaller school conferences, lots of the #2s are unknown outside their area. In the ICE, believe it or not despite the grief I like giving them it is Peotone. They are consistent, always in the playoff hunt. They will never get the accolades of Coal City or Wilmington, but are the #3 in consistency and underappreciated. Manteno, on the other hand, is often overrated...everyone thinks of their high powered spread but forgets about their often slow starts to seasons and their problems defending the power run dominant teams.

Other conferences? Big Northern underrated is usually 3A Oregon, after 4A Stillman Valley & GK and 3A Byron. Kishwaukee underrated...Marengo, after Richmond Burton & Johnsburg the last few years.
Since 2010, games won

Herscher 63
Manteno 62
Peotone 49

Sycamore
Sterling
Waubosnie Valley (not last 2 years)
SHG - Don't hear much about them in the chicagoland area

What about Marmion? They seem to always have big linemen. They are a tough team to beat. I believe they are the only IL school with 3 players playing in the NFL. And they are all brothers.

I don't think these brothers were even recruited coming out of high school. Edgy did not even hardly mention them and recently he did give a reason for this.
Simply put they ended up being walk ons (minus the youngest one) and didn't draw a ton of offers or attention...and academically planned to attend Michigan before football was ever considered. And you also need/want to answer my phone calls etc otherwise I can't write stories on kids etc. Not an excuse just some of the facts behind the whole story is all.

I’m not a Warren basher but as I said in another post here Warren was very average team for a long time. This past 5 yrs is a really good run for them.

Sterling
Waubosnie Valley (not last 2 years)
SHG - Don't hear much about them in the chicagoland area
SHG is not underrated. Of course you don’t hear about them in the chicago area, they are located 200 miles from Chicago. Im sure you don’t hear much about LWE and MC in the Springfield media.

SHG is not underrated. Of course you don’t hear about them in the chicago area, they are located 200 miles from Chicago. Im sure you don’t hear much about LWE and MC in the Springfield media.
That's my point - don't hear about them and I should. We hear about ESL and Edwardsville, they are even further than SHG.

That's my point - don't hear about them and I should. We hear about ESL and Edwardsville, they are even further than SHG.
where do u hear about ESL and Edwardsville? Not the Chicago media. On this board SHG is talked about far more than Edwardsville.

Reactions: Gene K.
where do u hear about ESL and Edwardsville? Not the Chicago media. On this board SHG is talked about far more than Edwardsville.
Players - Coaches - and a few refs I know sometimes talk about ESL and Edwardsville. Next time we have a conversation about both of these schools I will call you and you can join the conversation.

ESL is all over social media with the big plays and outstanding players they have. I have a friend from college who's son will start as a Sophomore on Varsity (Maybe).. Anyway have a good day.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Willowbrook is underrated IMO. The Warriors have been on a nice run lately, getting to at least the quarterfinals the past three seasons. And doing so without a lot of D1 talent.

They have one or two Assistant Coaches from Driscoll. Used to see the previous Willowbrook HC at some Saturday Driscoll games.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
What about Marmion? They seem to always have big linemen. They are a tough team to beat. I believe they are the only IL school with 3 players playing in the NFL. And they are all brothers.

I don't think these brothers were even recruited coming out of high school. Edgy did not even hardly mention them and recently he did give a reason for this.
I think Marmion is one of the most under achieving Programs in the state. They have everything needed to be an absolute power house and they are always average at best.

An elite private school in a great area to pull kids from every 30mile direction.

I think Marmion is one of the most under achieving Programs in the state. They have everything needed to be an absolute power house and they are always average at best.

An elite private school in a great area to pull kids from every 30mile direction.
High Academics + Military + All Boys = Not a lot of football players.

Marmion is not a school that attracts a lot of athletes due to these factors

Another vote for Sycamore.

I dont believe that conference has non-conference games and that can be a big problem because you get a lot of respect scheduling tough non-con games.

For instance if Sycamore played at Naz during a regular season game and beat them like I think they possibly can do, then everyone thinks of Sycamore on a different level.

Sycamore does play smash mouth football in the trenches just like the old CCL Blue.

Since 2010, games won

Herscher 63
Manteno 62
Peotone 49

Herscher is the maddeningly inconsistent ICE school. Since 2010, the Tigers have gone 8-2, 3-6, 4-5, 2-7, 8-3, 6-4, 11-1, 10-2, 8-5, 3-6, 2-3. 5 losing records, 2 quarters, one semi...2 years in the small division after missing the playoffs 3 straight years...

Damn straight! Can you imagine what an elite private school like Loyola could do athletically if it could pull kids from 30 miles in each direction like Marmion? Instead, Loyola can only go 4 miles straight east before it hits Lake Michigan. Loyola gets far less than a full 30 mile radius to draw kids from, and therefore shouldn't Loyola deserve a divisor instead of a multiplier?

Reactions: RockSoup
Damn straight! Can you imagine what an elite private school like Loyola could do athletically if it could pull kids from 30 miles in each direction like Marmion? Instead, Loyola can only go 4 miles straight east before it hits Lake Michigan. Loyola gets far less than a full 30 mile radius to draw kids from, and therefore shouldn't Loyola deserve a divisor instead of a multiplier?

You can still draw kids 26 miles into Lake Michigan if they are on a boat.

I would guess, even with the lake, Loyola has a larger population within 30 miles than Marmion.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Like I said before, there is a specific type of kid that goes to Marmion. It is not for everyone and I would bet Marmion has one of the bigger transfer rates freshman year than most catholic schools due to the type of environment that Marmion has. As with the service academies, It take s unique kid to go to Marmion

Like I said before, there is a specific type of kid that goes to Marmion. It is not for everyone and I would bet Marmion has one of the bigger transfer rates freshman year than most catholic schools due to the type of environment that Marmion has. As with the service academies, It take s unique kid to go to Marmion
Marmion is not the military academy that it used to be. In fact “military” is not used in the name. Not since the early 2000s. It’s much more of an all boys catholic school than military school. It used to draw from across the country and even internationally. That’s changed as well. I don’t even think they offer boarding any more. Much different than a service academy.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
Marmion is not the military academy that it used to be. In fact “military” is not used in the name. Not since the early 2000s. It’s much more of an all boys catholic school than military school. It used to draw from across the country and even internationally. That’s changed as well. I don’t even think they offer boarding any more. Much different than a service academy.
80% of the student body is in the military program. Other 20% is in what is called LEAD program which is a leadership program

High Academics + Military + All Boys = Not a lot of football players.

Marmion is not a school that attracts a lot of athletes due to these factors
Disagree. They get great kids, great
Families, tons of $$$. There have been tons of good athletes that have gone there.

Furthermore, I think the make up of the school should attract Kids/parents. A high academic school where high discipline is demanded should attract parents to send their kids there.

If they had a good Football program, parents from all over would send their kids there. Would be a great opportunity for the kid.

Disagree. They get great kids, great
Families, tons of $$$. There have been tons of good athletes that have gone there.

Furthermore, I think the make up of the school should attract Kids/parents. A high academic school where high discipline is demanded should attract parents to send their kids there.

If they had a good Football program, parents from all over would send their kids there. Would be a great opportunity for the kid.
Agree on all counts but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there are loads of very good public school programs/schools near them. Both St. Charles, Batavia, west aurora, Naperville’s, neuqua, etc. It’s not like it’s barren of good football. Tough to recruit when there are so many high quality academic and football schools surrounding them.

Agree on all counts but it’s hard to ignore the fact that there are loads of very good public school programs/schools near them. Both St. Charles, Batavia, west aurora, Naperville’s, neuqua, etc. It’s not like it’s barren of good football. Tough to recruit when there are so many high quality academic and football schools surrounding them.
If they were better it’d be no problem. So much talent around.

Montini and St Francis are surrounded by great programs. It’s a good thing. If your good- the kids will come.

If they were better it’d be no problem. So much talent around.

Montini and St Francis are surrounded by great programs. It’s a good thing. If your good- the kids will come.
They get a decent amount of Oswego kids that contribute to the program, as does Aurora Christian.

Reactions: colin2229
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT