ADVERTISEMENT

Q: Most Underrated IHSA Football Programs Year in and Year out

Six Flags
You're kidding right? They have been consistently ranked in the top 5-10 for the last three or four years. They get tons of respect, they just have yet to win the big game. If anything, they are overrated. Warren has never won more than two playoff games in a year, and are 5-7 in the playoffs in the last 10 years.

Reactions: sporthog9er
I think Rochester to a certain point because they have I think 8 state titles and maybe the best HC in the state but they don't get much Chicagoland publicity.

Also Cary Grove?
I would say more unknown than underrated. They dont get chicagoland publicity because the school is located 200+ miles from Chicago. Alabama doesnt get much coverage in the Tribune either, but I wouldnt call their football team underrated.

I would say more unknown than underrated. They dont get chicagoland publicity because the school is located 200+ miles from Chicago. Alabama doesnt get much coverage in the Tribune either, but I wouldnt call their football team underrated.
Are we going to act like in 2019 the bulk of this board didn't treat them as afterthought as they split the 5A title between JCA, Montini and St Rita? They were way underrated by dummies using the stupid they never have beaten a CCL team so they can't be that good logic.

You're kidding right? They have been consistently ranked in the top 5-10 for the last three or four years. They get tons of respect, they just have yet to win the big game. If anything, they are overrated. Warren has never won more than two playoff games in a year, and are 5-7 in the playoffs in the last 10 years.
Listen man, they have two P5 RBs this year and at least five P5s on defense. They are getting huge off of funnel cakes and when the park closes, their linemen have to drag the coasters once around the American Eagle track. Timed - if the standard is not met, they go again.

If they are not ranked #1, then they are underrated.

I think Rochester to a certain point because they have I think 8 state titles and maybe the best HC in the state but they don't get much Chicagoland publicity.

Also Cary Grove?
I think CG gets its props. They’re 6A and play in an average conference with the exception of PR and pinch my nose, Huntley. They are consistently undersized and I don’t know how they continue to reload. Perhaps on paper they seem underrated but as a former Trojan that played in the dark years, I don’t complain about ratings. And I don’t have Beth Long stoking my ire anymore.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think CG gets its props. They’re 6A and play in an average conference with the exception of PR and pinch my nose, Huntley. They are consistently undersized and I don’t know how they continue to reload. Perhaps on paper they seem underrated but as a former Trojan that played in the dark years, I don’t complain about ratings. And I don’t have Beth Long stoking my ire anymore.
CG has a system. They don’t sway too far from it. Their youth program runs it from 8u all the way through high school. They also have very tough kids, some really good athletes, and they are very disciplined. I would out prairie ridge in that category as well, same as lake Zurich, but it appears the cupboard is starting to grow thin at LZ.

I forgot the state of Illinois is so large that social media can't handle the coverage.

“Never won more than two playoff games in a year?” My oh my 2019 is so long ago.

the last three seasons they are 7-3 but keep doing that new math.

Reactions: Bowie50
“Never won more than two playoff games in a year?” My oh my 2019 is so long ago.

the last three seasons they are 7-3 but keep doing that new math.
my bad, ihsa doesn’t have 2019 results on its website. That being said, they are not underrated. They get tons of respect from the media and this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Nope to being underrated? their time coming? or both?
Both. The Oswego’s and Plainfield’s never do anything in the playoffs. Most come in 9-0 and lose in the 2nd round. There are schools around me that celebrate just making the playoffs. That’s no way to build a winning culture. Look at Warren and their relatively, new success (sustained for the past 4-5 years) - I bet just making the playoffs isn’t good enough for any individual in that program. That’s why they will win one soon and schools like Conant, Schaumburg, won’t. Just making the playoffs is not good enough. Good is the opposite of perfect.

Last edited:
I think, for the most part, they have been accurately ranked (based on their final performance). They've had some talented teams the past 4 years, ran into some buzz-saws (LWE/Loyola) and then that 2OT loss at Bolingbrook in 19. Last year I thought was going to be the year to break through. As for the future, I have a lot of questions and most of those start up front.

I think, for the most part, they have been accurately ranked (based on their final performance). They've had some talented teams the past 4 years, ran into some buzz-saws (LWE/Loyola) and then that 2OT loss at Bolingbrook in 19. Last year I thought was going to be the year to break through. As for the future, I have a lot of questions and most of those start up front.
My intent is not to offend you. I hope you don’t take it that way. My point is, I don’t believe they are underrated.

Both. The Oswego’s and Plainfield’s never do anything in the playoffs. Most come in 9-0 and lose in the 2nd round. There are schools around me that celebrate just making the playoffs. That’s no way to build a winning culture. Look at Warren and their relatively, new success (sustained for the past 4-5 years) - I bet just making the playoffs isn’t good enough for any individual in that program. That’s why they will win one soon and schools like Conant, Schaumburg, won’t. Just making the playoffs is not good enough. Good is the opposite of perfect.
I don't think a Plainfield team has gone undefeated in this conference ever. The year Oswego lost to LWE (2017) was the quarters (after beating GW to get there). 2018, they got the unfortunate draw of Loyola at Loyola, where Oswego beat themselves more so than anything.

I agree they just recently got good, always a 500 team with 4,000 kids. Underachieved for many yrs.

I don't think a Plainfield team has gone undefeated in this conference ever. The year Oswego lost to LWE (2017) was the quarters (after beating GW to get there). 2018, they got the unfortunate draw of Loyola at Loyola, where Oswego beat themselves more so than anything.
Plainfield South went 10-1 in 06-07 losing to Morgan Park in the second round

Plainfield South went 10-1 in 06-07 losing to Morgan Park in the second round
Ah, yes, that was the year after Dergo? I remember covering the PS/Morris game the previous season at PS. Dergo scored both TD's and Morris won 14-10. Since then though OHS has made it past the 2nd round a few times.

Underrated...underappreciated. There are a lot of conference #2 schools that fit into this category. In smaller school conferences, lots of the #2s are unknown outside their area. In the ICE, believe it or not despite the grief I like giving them it is Peotone. They are consistent, always in the playoff hunt. They will never get the accolades of Coal City or Wilmington, but are the #3 in consistency and underappreciated. Manteno, on the other hand, is often overrated...everyone thinks of their high powered spread but forgets about their often slow starts to seasons and their problems defending the power run dominant teams.

Other conferences? Big Northern underrated is usually 3A Oregon, after 4A Stillman Valley & GK and 3A Byron. Kishwaukee underrated...Marengo, after Richmond Burton & Johnsburg the last few years.

What about Marmion? They seem to always have big linemen. They are a tough team to beat. I believe they are the only IL school with 3 players playing in the NFL. And they are all brothers.

I don't think these brothers were even recruited coming out of high school. Edgy did not even hardly mention them and recently he did give a reason for this.

What about Marmion? They seem to always have big linemen. They are a tough team to beat. I believe they are the only IL school with 3 players playing in the NFL. And they are all brothers.

I don't think these brothers were even recruited coming out of high school. Edgy did not even hardly mention them and recently he did give a reason for this.
Underrated or just a mediocre program? In the last 10 full seasons, the Cadets are 55-50 and 3-6 in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT