ADVERTISEMENT

Provi vs. St. Francis

pjjp

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Haven't seen much posted on this match up. I've seen Provi three times this year. They are a very well rounded, fundamentally sound team. They are diverse on offense. Can run and pass. Defensively, they are very good against the run and somewhat susceptible to the pass. And their special teams play is outstanding. How does St. Francis match up? I know the Spartans have some high end talent. From what I've read, they've been their own worst enemy at times. Provi will not beat themselves. St. Francis will need to cut down on the penalties and self-inflicted wounds to win. Thoughts?

St. Francis does have talent and they are at home. I suspect St. Francis will have some long plays but not too many. I think the Celtics move the ball and score in most of their possesions. I'm thinking 35-21 Providence.

Provi plays in the CCL. Who has St Francis played? Didn't St Francis run away from playing in the CCL?
Sad Cry GIF by Team Coco
“I’m a Montini guy and all the talent that used to come to Montini now goes to St. Francis so I’m mad that I won’t see a semifinal game for the rest of the decade and I come on St. Francis threads to complain about it”

-For the record, McMillen didn’t run away from s***. That was the old guard, and he made sure they got back to playing a CCL schedule. A ton of young talent on varsity, an incredibly strong JV team this year and a bunch of momentum with the local youth programs.

St. Francis does have talent and they are at home. I suspect St. Francis will have some long plays but not too many. I think the Celtics move the ball and score in most of their possesions. I'm thinking 35-21 Providence.
Jobare,

If your giving me St Francis +14 where can I get some action! No disrespect to Providence in anyway but 14 in a semifinal game I’d be stupid not to take it against a McMillen coached team.

-For the record, McMillen didn’t run away from s***. That was the old guard, and he made sure they got back to playing a CCL schedule. A ton of young talent on varsity, an incredibly strong JV team this year and a bunch of momentum with the local youth programs.
This Provi game could be a statement game announcing St. Francis’ arrival under McMillen as a program.

Haven't seen much posted on this match up. I've seen Provi three times this year. They are a very well rounded, fundamentally sound team. They are diverse on offense. Can run and pass. Defensively, they are very good against the run and somewhat susceptible to the pass. And their special teams play is outstanding. How does St. Francis match up? I know the Spartans have some high end talent. From what I've read, they've been their own worst enemy at times. Provi will not beat themselves. St. Francis will need to cut down on the penalties and self-inflicted wounds to win. Thoughts?
Having watched a few of Provi’s games and being an SF guy, here’s my take:

SF matches up better against Provi as opposed to JCA / Richmond for all the reasons you mentioned…SF is not going to try and simply line up and run it against them. They’ll spread it out and have a talented and dynamic offense with a good QB.

SF will *have* to pass protect. Against IC they gave up 7 sacks I think (a few of them coverage sacks to be fair), and that won’t fly this weekend. In my opinion, for SF to have a chance they’ll have to use the pass to 1.) set up the run and 2.) get the ball to their playmakers in space. SF has a lot of size and talent on their o-line so they won’t have the problem of being physically overmatched.

Also penalties…even last weekend against Rochelle they had a 60+ yard catch and run called back. They’ll have to play cleanly.

Provi is probably a 7 point favorite and should be. SF will need to play their A-game against a team with more depth, more size, and a dynamic offense and defense that has been tested and grown against some of the best competition in the state. But SF themselves is a big, physical team with very talented wide receivers (having Willis - a kid who has been all conference his freshman and sophomore years - back after thinking he was out for the year is a huge boost) and one of the best QBs in the state getting it to them.

I stick with my statement I had before the playoffs…SF has a higher ceiling than any other team in the north bracket this year, but also can have the lowest floor of any of the contenders if they get sloppy.

Based on schedule played you have to take PC. Sparta had quite a few games that weren’t competitive at the opening kickoff.

Based on talent SF probably has the edge.

Coaching? I don’t know the Celtic HC. I do know Mac’s chops and he’s top notch.

What does it all mean? That’s why they play the game.

27-24
n8ia1d1.gif

Based on schedule played you have to take PC. Sparta had quite a few games that weren’t competitive at the opening kickoff.

Based on talent SF probably has the edge.

Coaching? I don’t know the Celtic HC. I do know Mac’s chops and he’s top notch.

What does it all mean? That’s why they play the game.

27-24
n8ia1d1.gif
Future Hive GIF

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
How about Providence's arrival under Plantz?
I think given their history, number of championships and general program pedigree as a blue blood, it’s more of a “they’re back after a quick blip”. Tough to arrive at a party you’re already attending, but just took a bathroom break at.

Reactions: pjjp
From an outsiders perspective it seems Provi has greatly improved over the season. I’m worried about this game as an SF fan.
Agree - very glad this game is being played in Wheaton. Beating Provi is tough enough, beating them on their own turf is probably more than any 4A team can manage this year.

Agree - very glad this game is being played in Wheaton. Beating Provi is tough enough, beating them on their own turf is probably more than any 4A team can manage this year.
And they have to look at that god-awful Smurf turf. I still can’t get over that decision. Just terrible.

I think given their history, number of championships and general program pedigree as a blue blood, it’s more of a “they’re back after a quick blip”. Tough to arrive at a party you’re already attending, but just took a bathroom break at.
Good analogy. I would compare it more to passing out in the bathroom for an extended time, coming to a moment of complete clarity (2014) and re-emerging to sing a beautiful Celtic folk song, and then running back to the bathroom and passing out again.

Regardless of how long their break from the party was, all that matters is that they are back partying. So much so that I don’t know whether SHG or PC is the odds on favorite to win 4a as of now.

SF can win, but i think it requires their A game and providence to play a C game.

How about Providence's arrival under Plantz?
Doesn't it feel as if that's already happened? I go back to the first JCA game. I expected a comfortable JCA win. The Hilltoppers were fortunate to win that game after being down two TD's at the end of the 3rd quarter. I walked out of there that night thinking: A. The Celtics were back. B. The new coach was very good. The playoffs have just confirmed that.

Good analogy. I would compare it more to passing out in the bathroom for an extended time, coming to a moment of complete clarity (2014) and re-emerging to sing a beautiful Celtic folk song, and then running back to the bathroom and passing out again.

Regardless of how long their break from the party was, all that matters is that they are back partying. So much so that I don’t know whether SHG or PC is the odds on favorite to win 4a as of now.

SF can win, but i think it requires their A game and providence to play a C game.
Agree with the above, except I do think SF is better than needing their A game to beat Provi’s C game. I think that implies Providence being a road favorite of 20+ pts.

SF’s A game…with a Power 5 QB, a Power 5 OL, an FBS WR, an FCS running back, an FCS OL, an FCS DE and a group of talented sophomore receivers is tough for a 4A team to beat, and they’d certainly need to play a better than average game to do so. The only time I’ve seen something resembling SF’s A game this year is the first half against Marengo, a Marengo team that was tied with, and subsequently held their own for 3+ quarters against Richmond-Burton was down 56-0 to SF in the middle of Q2.

Not to get caught on semantics, and Providence is the favorite and rightfully so, but I would say if Provi plays their C game, SF needs to play a B+ type game to beat them. If SF plays their A game, Provi will need to play better than a C game to beat a senior-led SF team on their home turf…and I absolutely expect better than Providence C game in a playoff semifinal contest.

I just read that Plantz is only the 3rd coach in Providence *history*…that is patently insane. Talk about longevity.

I just read that Plantz is only the 3rd coach in Providence *history*…that is patently insane. Talk about longevity.
Why they stuck with the last guy for so long is beyond me. Just keeping the seat warm I suppose. In the meantime, the losses piled up and as a result the recruiting went way down. JCA loved every minute of it.

Thank you Spankwagon. I was under the impression the playoffs were a 7v7 tournament, but thanks to your insight, I have been disabused of that notion. Thank you for your service.
Your welcome. My point is if it was 7v7 St Francis by 30. Since its not Providence by 10.

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
Spankwagon,

I’d love some of that action on St Francis +10. I was trying to get the other poster on his +14 but no response yet.
Betting on high school sports is illegal. If betting suddenly became legal I'd book it.

Betting on high school sports is illegal. If betting suddenly became legal I'd book it.
Jobare, it’s not a bet for personal gain. Whitmann and I used to make some bets and the winner had to pay the losers favorite charity the bet. Tried that with another guy, it didn’t work out as well.

Jobare, it’s not a bet for personal gain. Whitmann and I used to make some bets and the winner had to pay the losers favorite charity the bet. Tried that with another guy, it didn’t work out as well.
If this is what I think it is I just laughed pretty hard…never did sign a check over to Naz did he? The welch heard round the world

Mac is a great recruiter but is he a great X/O coach? Adjustments in playoff games are a key to winning games. Let's see if he can do this. It should be a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT