ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason ICE chatter

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Small school fans.....here is the preseason ICE discussion. With the release of the master schedule it's a little easier to get a feel for how things may shake out. The bad news is as myself and my contacts at other schools are becoming further removed from the football programs, so my information is becoming less and less each year. Feel free to add anything you have!

Braidwood - I look for RC to take a significant dip this year. It's inevitable, right? They were an extremely talented team that lost a lot of that talent. I think the recent success was enough to get gather some interest in playing football and keep them in the program, however I don't think the talent is there. The Comets won't be the perennial push-over that they were a few years ago, however I don't see the success of the last two seasons in the cards. I look for them to be a playoff contender and maybe even pick up a first round win against a cupcake. If they didn't make the playoffs and missed out with a 4-5 record it wouldn't be the news story of the century either. For this year I say they will be in the upper portion of that middle group in the ICE. Their non-con slate improves a little bit as they will have a tough opponent in Johnsburg. Not a world beater by any means, however it won't be a gimme like RC has had in their recent OOC games. If they can beat Johnsburg week 2 I think that will be a good indicator for the season. If they lose to Johnsburg the season isn't over, it just means they have to tighten it up in all their remaining games. I see them anywhere between 7-2 and 4-5. I'll still let them ride last year's momentum and predict them at 6-3.

Coal City - Should be a two team race between CC and Wilmo. Love the fact that they are still playing Morris and it's a renewed rivalry. Also love the fact that they aren't scared of playing a tough OOC game. Canton should be an easy win. I don't anticipate CC struggling with the rest of the conference outside of Wilmo. The middle of their schedule is brutal though with Lisle, Peotone, RC, and Wilmo all in a row. It could be possible they overlook any of those teams preparing for Wilmo. I see them 8-1 to 6-3. I'll go with 7-2.

Herscher- A team I have no intel on. I imagine they will still be at the bottom of the ICE. They lost some close ones last year and they got blown out in a few. Charleston could be a shot at a win and I think that could be be a gauge on the rest of the season. If they can beat them, then maybe they can slide past some of the ICE teams that are down. I like that they are playing Bishop Mac, however it would be cooler if Herscher had a shot at being god this year. Either way it's a cool area game and I wish Mac would try to play them or Manteno more often. I see Herscher toward the bottom of the ICE and I am clueless on their record. Could be 0-9 or could be 3-6. I'll say 1-8 just because the ICE has never seen a team with 0 wins (even back to the days with Westmont in the I-8, I went back quite a bit and still didn't see a winless record).

Lisle- Another team with no real intel. The Benedictine factor is real and they catch CC, RC, and Seneca at home. Their toughest string is going to be Seneca, Wilmo and CC in the first 4 weeks. Their OOC schedule is relatively easy with a win from Harvard. Seneca had an awesome year last year before running into Byron, but their schedule isn't the toughest. Seneca will b a great gauge for Lisle. I like seeing the old I-8 matchup. too. Lisle is always in the middle pack for me and it seems like they are always a 5-4 caliber team. I will predict them to do the same this year. 5-4

Manteno- I remember the days when Manteno was a damn fine team. They had some really talented groups. It seems as though they are not quite there again. I like their OOC schedule being totally old school I-8 and picking up Sandwich and Plano. It could be possible for them to be 4-0 (Sandwich is a gimme) to start the season. I think it'll be more like 3-1 but still not a bad start for a program that needs some positive momentum. The bad news is their schedule is backloaded so even if they go 4-5 I don't see a gimme on the backhalf of their schedule. I think they could go 1-8 all the way to 4-5. My gut tells me that 3-6 is the right number.

Peotone- Another middle of the pack team. Their OOC is basically 2 glorified scrimmages (Rantoul and Sandwich) , but it will be good to get that extra time before they play RC, Wilmo, and CC the next 3 weeks. After that it is time to coast into the playoffs again. 6-3 to 4-5 is the range here but I like Peotone to be 5-4 with a guaranteed berth to the postseason.

Streator- The OOC schedule could be two wins (east peoria and Ottawa). It should be at least 1 for sure. I'm not sure what else happens for some of the lower level teams in the ICE, but Streator is right there with them. For a larger school they need to figure out how to get the athletes out and how to maximize their potential. I don't know much about them but I don't expect much either. 0-9 to 4-5 is the range here. I'll go 2-7.

Wilmington - I can hear the Harleys in the woods now. Expect the Cats to be back on top of the ICE. Their OOC is fairly easy (Seneca and Aurora Christian). Seneca could be a little tough, but like I said their schedule last year was pretty easy. I hear Wilmo is deep at every position. I like them to finish undefeated and think their fate in the playoffs is totally up to them. My only concern is that they aren't battle tested come playoff time, however their last two games are pretty easy and gives them time to rest up.I don't know what the correct school of thought is on this. I'm sure everybody has differing opinions. 9-0.

ICE standings with record

Wilmo 9-0
CC 7-2
RC 6-3
Peotone 6-3
Lisle 5-4
Manteno 3-6
Streator 2-7
Herscher 1-8

Small school fans.....here is the preseason ICE discussion. With the release of the master schedule it's a little easier to get a feel for how things may shake out. The bad news is as myself and my contacts at other schools are becoming further removed from the football programs, so my information is becoming less and less each year. Feel free to add anything you have!

Braidwood - I look for RC to take a significant dip this year. It's inevitable, right? They were an extremely talented team that lost a lot of that talent. I think the recent success was enough to get gather some interest in playing football and keep them in the program, however I don't think the talent is there. The Comets won't be the perennial push-over that they were a few years ago, however I don't see the success of the last two seasons in the cards. I look for them to be a playoff contender and maybe even pick up a first round win against a cupcake. If they didn't make the playoffs and missed out with a 4-5 record it wouldn't be the news story of the century either. For this year I say they will be in the upper portion of that middle group in the ICE. Their non-con slate improves a little bit as they will have a tough opponent in Johnsburg. Not a world beater by any means, however it won't be a gimme like RC has had in their recent OOC games. If they can beat Johnsburg week 2 I think that will be a good indicator for the season. If they lose to Johnsburg the season isn't over, it just means they have to tighten it up in all their remaining games. I see them anywhere between 7-2 and 4-5. I'll still let them ride last year's momentum and predict them at 6-3.

Coal City - Should be a two team race between CC and Wilmo. Love the fact that they are still playing Morris and it's a renewed rivalry. Also love the fact that they aren't scared of playing a tough OOC game. Canton should be an easy win. I don't anticipate CC struggling with the rest of the conference outside of Wilmo. The middle of their schedule is brutal though with Lisle, Peotone, RC, and Wilmo all in a row. It could be possible they overlook any of those teams preparing for Wilmo. I see them 8-1 to 6-3. I'll go with 7-2.

Herscher- A team I have no intel on. I imagine they will still be at the bottom of the ICE. They lost some close ones last year and they got blown out in a few. Charleston could be a shot at a win and I think that could be be a gauge on the rest of the season. If they can beat them, then maybe they can slide past some of the ICE teams that are down. I like that they are playing Bishop Mac, however it would be cooler if Herscher had a shot at being god this year. Either way it's a cool area game and I wish Mac would try to play them or Manteno more often. I see Herscher toward the bottom of the ICE and I am clueless on their record. Could be 0-9 or could be 3-6. I'll say 1-8 just because the ICE has never seen a team with 0 wins (even back to the days with Westmont in the I-8, I went back quite a bit and still didn't see a winless record).

Lisle- Another team with no real intel. The Benedictine factor is real and they catch CC, RC, and Seneca at home. Their toughest string is going to be Seneca, Wilmo and CC in the first 4 weeks. Their OOC schedule is relatively easy with a win from Harvard. Seneca had an awesome year last year before running into Byron, but their schedule isn't the toughest. Seneca will b a great gauge for Lisle. I like seeing the old I-8 matchup. too. Lisle is always in the middle pack for me and it seems like they are always a 5-4 caliber team. I will predict them to do the same this year. 5-4

Manteno- I remember the days when Manteno was a damn fine team. They had some really talented groups. It seems as though they are not quite there again. I like their OOC schedule being totally old school I-8 and picking up Sandwich and Plano. It could be possible for them to be 4-0 (Sandwich is a gimme) to start the season. I think it'll be more like 3-1 but still not a bad start for a program that needs some positive momentum. The bad news is their schedule is backloaded so even if they go 4-5 I don't see a gimme on the backhalf of their schedule. I think they could go 1-8 all the way to 4-5. My gut tells me that 3-6 is the right number.

Peotone- Another middle of the pack team. Their OOC is basically 2 glorified scrimmages (Rantoul and Sandwich) , but it will be good to get that extra time before they play RC, Wilmo, and CC the next 3 weeks. After that it is time to coast into the playoffs again. 6-3 to 4-5 is the range here but I like Peotone to be 5-4 with a guaranteed berth to the postseason.

Streator- The OOC schedule could be two wins (east peoria and Ottawa). It should be at least 1 for sure. I'm not sure what else happens for some of the lower level teams in the ICE, but Streator is right there with them. For a larger school they need to figure out how to get the athletes out and how to maximize their potential. I don't know much about them but I don't expect much either. 0-9 to 4-5 is the range here. I'll go 2-7.

Wilmington - I can hear the Harleys in the woods now. Expect the Cats to be back on top of the ICE. Their OOC is fairly easy (Seneca and Aurora Christian). Seneca could be a little tough, but like I said their schedule last year was pretty easy. I hear Wilmo is deep at every position. I like them to finish undefeated and think their fate in the playoffs is totally up to them. My only concern is that they aren't battle tested come playoff time, however their last two games are pretty easy and gives them time to rest up.I don't know what the correct school of thought is on this. I'm sure everybody has differing opinions. 9-0.

ICE standings with record

Wilmo 9-0
CC 7-2
RC 6-3
Peotone 6-3
Lisle 5-4
Manteno 3-6
Streator 2-7
Herscher 1-8
Herscher will be young and will rely on a lot of sophomores, but the new turf will be cool.. but the 2016-2019 run seems so long ago..

I’m looking forward to that week 1 Wilmo @ Seneca game.
I believe Seneca returns their QB among others… that kid was a baller. Best play fakes I think I’ve ever seen. Saw them in both their playoff games last year.

If Wilmo can wear them out and just overpower them like Byron eventually did, the Cats will be fine.

Have heard the Herscher turf will be running tight due to production at the factory, they hope to have it in by week 1.. football was supposed to be done by July 1.. baseball and softball fields have been pushed back to October completion..

They are also starting a new football building this fall, entrance way, locker rooms, restrooms, concession stand and coaches offices.. with new bleachers next summer..

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor_d
Love the ICE threads, helps keep me informed because many schools in the Champaign, Decatur, Bloomington triangle get matched up with in the playoffs.

Wilmington returns a lot of players from last year based on their roster from last year. I am sure they are hungry after that loss to TV last year.

Coal City I am always clueless about. They always seem to start slow but by the end of the season they win enough games to get in the playoffs. I would assume its pretty much the same story for the Coalers this year.

Reed-Custer should be solid but lose something like 20 starters. Will be interesting to see if their recent success will propel the program to middle of the pack.

Peotone is always solid. Right on the cusp of being great but seem to lack the depth to win against superior opponents but are becoming a perennial playoff team.

Lisle has a new coach who I read was the OC at Lockport when they won state in 2021 so the guy knows his stuff. But Parpet got a lot out of a little in the past few years for the Lions. They have a shot at the playoffs.

Streator has the athletes but are they going out for football? Return some good athletes and coach is very optimistic about turning the program around but athletes only get you so far. They lack line play but if they get that figured out they could cause some problems for the ICE.

Herscher and Manteno are in the same spot with having a few down years and trying to right the ship. Both should win 1 or 2 non con games but within they ICE it sounds like they will struggle.

As for non con matchups, don't sleep on Sandwich. They play in a very tough conference and their JV last year did very well given the circumstances.

Rantoul is terrible and has a new coach from way out west (NM or Arizona) so Peotone should win that one.

Seneca should be very good as well. Return most of the line and backs and the QB is a threat to score at any moment. Should be a fun old 90s rivalry game with Wilmington.

Some chatter that Wilmo has a transfer in from Minooka at RB. Never hurts.
Seneca is good and after seeing how much they return from last year, I’d dare say that might be Wilmo’s toughest game of the regular season.

I really don't see anyone challenging Wilmington. They are loaded and coming off a not so Wildcat season. With an aging coaching staff eyeing retirement, I see them back with a vengeance with lots of running clocks followed by a very deep run in playoffs. Would not be surprised to see them in Normal on November 24th.

Wilmington 9-0
RC 7-2
CC 6-3
Peotone 5-4
Lisle 5-4
Streator 4-5
Manteno 2-7
Herscher 0-9

Wilmington 9-0
Coal City 7-2
Reed-Custer 5-4
Lisle 5-4
Peotone 5-4
Streator 3-6
Manteno 2-7
Herscher 1-8

Some chatter that Wilmo has a transfer in from Minooka at RB. Never hurts.
Seneca is good and after seeing how much they return from last year, I’d dare say that might be Wilmo’s toughest game of the regular season.
Any idea who the kid is? I agree Seneca will be the toughest game WHS has until at least Quarters.

Any idea who the kid is? I agree Seneca will be the toughest game WHS has until at least Quarters.
No, I’m not in the loop. I just saw the transfer mentioned from a different source. I do know that they had a decent amount of returning kids and what seemed like a really strong incoming junior class. I think they could make a real nice playoff run, especially if they go 2A.

Wilmington 9-0
Coal City 7-2
Reed-Custer 5-4
Lisle 5-4
Peotone 5-4
Streator 3-6
Manteno 2-7
Herscher 1-8
Just. curious, who do you see RC losing to? Both non-con and then Wilmo and CC? Or are you just thinking it will be a mix up of the 3 teams you have at 5-4?

I think it gets really hard to predict once you are outside of Wilmo and CC. I do like Wilmos shot of going deep and I am hearing the JR class is just as good. Only time will tell here shortly.

I’m a little less optimistic than some of you guys on the Comets this year. They lost everyone and I mean everyone. I think it’s back to the usual Braidwood that we are used to seeing. Wilmo is the cream of the crop this year. CC will be tough and physical, going to hope to not get dog walked by Morris again week 1. Tone will be better. Picking Manteno to improve also. After that 4-7 can go a lot of different ways
Wilmo 9-0
CC 7-2
Tone 7-2
Lisle 6-3
Manteno 4-5
Braidwood 3-6
Herscher 3-6
Streator 1-8

I’m a little less optimistic than some of you guys on the Comets this year. They lost everyone and I mean everyone. I think it’s back to the usual Braidwood that we are used to seeing. Wilmo is the cream of the crop this year. CC will be tough and physical, going to hope to not get dog walked by Morris again week 1. Tone will be better. Picking Manteno to improve also. After that 4-7 can go a lot of different ways
Wilmo 9-0
CC 7-2
Tone 7-2
Lisle 6-3
Manteno 4-5
Braidwood 3-6
Herscher 3-6
Streator 1-8

I am giving RC benefit of the doubt. I would love to see them return to the bottom of the ICE (and don't get me wrong I truly do think it's pretty likely), but until it happens I will let them ride their momentum of the the last two years. Who do you see them beating?

Just. curious, who do you see RC losing to? Both non-con and then Wilmo and CC? Or are you just thinking it will be a mix up of the 3 teams you have at 5-4?
I see Wilmo, then CC, then a mish mash in the middle

On second thought, I think Tone will win both non conference games and I’ll put them at 6-3 with a mild upset loss to one of the other middle pack squads.

R-C will certainly regress, but they kept their staff from what I gather and that counts for something. It will be tough replacing all those kids. That was a tremendous class, and a slight bit of coaching inexperience along with some general misfortune kept them from getting to the semis back to back. If they kept kids involved and can have strong line play on both sides again, they will be ok.

Last edited:
I am giving RC benefit of the doubt. I would love to see them return to the bottom of the ICE (and don't get me wrong I truly do think it's pretty likely), but until it happens I will let them ride their momentum of the the last two years. Who do you see them beating?
Losing to Wilmo, CC, Peotone, Johnsburg, Lisle and Manteno

There’s a reason their HC was looking to move to a different school this season.

The middle tier teams (RC, Lisle, Tone, possibly Manteno), are really going to have to fight and claw their way to a playoff berth. I think those teams will be fighting it out with each other and a win or loss in any given week could be nail in the coffin for their season. CC is another one. Although I think they are a lock for playoffs, they will need every win possible because I see them with 2 losses for sure. 7-2 to 6-3 is a huge difference especially in 4A.

I think Herscher will be better than people think, but still not a playoff team.. will rely on sophomores a lot, including QB and 3 olinemen..

Seneca or CC only likely. Of course Lisle or Tone have been occasionally tough for the Cats over the years.
Based on Soucies predictions, he clearly has Seneca beating them. CC losing to Morris and Wilmo and Peotone losing to CC and Wilmo. For the life of me, can’t figure out a team like Peotone. Play the tough teams tough but still lose and then always lose one that makes you scratch your head. Love coach Tolle and what he does there. My kids loved playing for him but the 5-4 trend is frustrating and he’ll say that himself.

I have the conference as follows:

Wilmo 9-0
Cc 7-2
Peotone 7-2 (i think/hope)
Manteno 5-4 (Manteno has to get week 1 vs sandwich)
RC 4-5
Herscher 3-6
Streator 2-7
Lisle 1-8

Based on Soucies predictions, he clearly has Seneca beating them. CC losing to Morris and Wilmo and Peotone losing to CC and Wilmo. For the life of me, can’t figure out a team like Peotone. Play the tough teams tough but still lose and then always lose one that makes you scratch your head. Love coach Tolle and what he does there. My kids loved playing for him but the 5-4 trend is frustrating and he’ll say that himself.

I have the conference as follows:

Wilmo 9-0
Cc 7-2
RC 4-5
Herscher 3-6
Streator 2-7
Lisle 1-8
Agree with your assessment of Peotone. Good coach. Tough team usually, but just not quite enough to get over the hump.

I’d be very very surprised if Lisle ends up 1-8. They are usually same boat as Peotone in my estimation.

I still think the Cats go undefeated. I also think CC will play them tougher than Seneca. When was the last time Wilmington lost week one? Bottom line, I'll take the Wilmington coaching staff having an entire off-season to prepare for this one.

I still think the Cats go undefeated. I also think CC will play them tougher than Seneca. When was the last time Wilmington lost week one? Bottom line, I'll take the Wilmington coaching staff having an entire off-season to prepare for this one.
I tend to agree but Seneca is very good. I watched both their playoff games last year. Byron simply overpowered them, and hopefully Wilmo will do the same.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Wilmo 9-0
Cc 7-2
RC 4-5
Herscher 3-6
Streator 2-7
Lisle 1-8
I could see any of the above happening except the Lisle prediction. They are usually in the middle of the conference and their week 1 match up is a joke. I don't see them getting blanked in the ICE.

Reactions: siu47
They just started putting the turf in today at Herscher, going to be close to get it done for Sept 1 game with Mac

No idea how good Herscher will be, but their numbers are back up.. 39 on varsity and over 70 in the program ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT