De La Salle vs St Joes
Marmion vs Leo
St Laurence vs DePaul Prep
St Rita with a Bye

De La Salle vs St Joes
Marmion vs Leo
St Laurence vs DePaul Prep
St Rita with a Bye

Clearly, a new low for the Prep Bowl. One team with a 5-4 record. Four teams with records of 3-6. St. Joes with one win. De Paul with zero wins. Someone in this thread mentioned a "parody account". This is parody football. The way some people on this board cling to this silliness, claiming it is a 'tradition" is absurd. This event became irrelevant in 1974. It is now 2018. Enough already.

Clearly, a new low for the Prep Bowl. One team with a 5-4 record. Four teams with records of 3-6. St. Joes with one win. De Paul with zero wins. Someone in this thread mentioned a "parody account". This is parody football. The way some people on this board cling to this silliness, claiming it is a 'tradition" is absurd. This event became irrelevant in 1974. It is now 2018. Enough already.
If it bothers you just ignore it. It's the super bowl for the C.P.S.

Don't get yourself in a dither. St Joseph and DePaul will be out after the first round, unless somebody forfeits.

Unless things have changed from past years, CCL teams who lose in the 1st and 2nd round of the IHSA playoffs are eligible for the Prep Bowl playoffs.

Voice: Most of these guys who throw stones at the Prep Bowl don't identify the school they support. He's just another putz.

He is a Naz fan but his point is legitimate, De La Salle earned a spot by having a winning record but the other teams are terrible and should not be playing in the post season.

The luster has really come off the Prep Bowl the last few years with the demise of CPS football and the game moving to Gatley. Next year they are going to add a bunch of Suburban Catholic schools, how does that figure in with the “tradition” so many old school CCL guys talk about? If anything it will take away from the game even more by eliminating teams like St Rita and De La Salle and replacing them with Benet and Carmel, is that good thing? Are people from the Suburbs dying to drive to Gatley on the Friday morning after thanksgiving to watch football?

And before anyone gives me some anti Catholic school crap my kids go to Catholic school and I’m fine with the prep bowl being played but it is becoming a joke in its current set up.

Reactions: Cat Box
I really don't understand why people complain about the Prep Bowl. If you dont like it, dont pay attention. Obviously it's important to certain people and certain schools, Why does that bother you? Just move on if you have no interest.

After the schedule some of these teams have to endure playing 3 or 4 games they have no chance of winning each year I feel that a lot of these teams deserve to play in the prep bowl. It is a good experience and why get all negative about kids getting to play more football.

If we are talking about teams that are deserving of post season....some of the teams in the playoffs have such a joke schedule that they look like a one of the top 256 teams in the state but they are just pretenders because they get to play cupcakes all season. If we were in Ohio there are a number of 5-4, 6-3, and 7-2 teams that would not sniff the playoffs because of weak schedule. There would be teams with 4-5 records that played a gauntlet that would make it under their system which I think is one of the best playoff systems in the nation for HS football. Until we reward teams for going out and playing the best instead of hiding behind joke schedules and pathetic conferences we will never truly have a good playoff system

I really don't understand why people complain about the Prep Bowl. If you dont like it, dont pay attention. Obviously it's important to certain people and certain schools, Why does that bother you? Just move on if you have no interest.

It is darn near impossible to pay attention. The CCL and/or CPS should at least have a place to follow the games and see the brackets. You generate more interest with more exposure. IMO Keep the Prep Bowl and put a little effort into promoting it.

Everyone hates CPS. Everyone hates Catholic Schools. The Prep Bowl is the perfect storm for all of this rage

I think that the prep bowl is perfect for my Vikings this year. We were a VERY young squad. They can use all of the reps they can get. I am kind of seeing this as an extension of the coming offseason. There is no way to get reps of this quality in the spring or summer, getting looks at kids from different levels. These games will make you a better program down the road.

It is darn near impossible to pay attention. The CCL and/or CPS should at least have a place to follow the games and see the brackets. You generate more interest with more exposure. IMO Keep the Prep Bowl and put a little effort into promoting it.
Speaking of this, has anyone seen a bracket yet? I know it can change with an early IHSA exit, but a preliminary bracket?

I don’t have a problem with it. I do have an issue with the CCL people that think it’s a big deal to win it. CPS is a different story as they’ve been trying to catch up to CCL schools forever and in most cases are dealt an unfair hand. I almost always would rather see a CPS win it. It’s a definite advantage for the schools participating as it gives them extra practice time, especially for the young guys, in that sense it’s very smart. Hopefully it doesn’t delay the start of b-ball or wrestling for some kids tho.

With all that said I’m fine with it existing and continuing but this bracket is a joke right now. Don’t pimp a postseason tournament to me with the likes of St Joe’s and DePaul lol.

I don’t have a problem with it. I do have an issue with the CCL people that think it’s a big deal to win it. CPS is a different story as they’ve been trying to catch up to CCL schools forever and in most cases are dealt an unfair hand. I almost always would rather see a CPS win it. It’s a definite advantage for the schools participating as it gives them extra practice time, especially for the young guys, in that sense it’s very smart. Hopefully it doesn’t delay the start of b-ball or wrestling for some kids tho.

With all that said I’m fine with it existing and continuing but this bracket is a joke right now. Don’t pimp a postseason tournament to me with the likes of St Joe’s and DePaul lol.

Although I have not heard of anyone doing it, every school can practice football up until the state championship game.

Although I have not heard of anyone doing it, every school can practice football up until the state championship game.
You’re correct, I always thought it’d be interesting if someone did. Hard to galvanize the troops if there isn’t a game to prepare for. Parents these days will be upset they have to pick their kid up etc.

For those who cannot wait until Friday to see a game, St Laurence hosts Gordon Tech (aka DePaul Prep) on Thursday at 6pm (they host a soccer sectional final on Friday, thus the Thursday game). So it is St L on Thursday, LWE on Friday and Marist on Saturday - the weekend is shaping up nicely!

I think that the prep bowl is perfect for my Vikings this year. We were a VERY young squad. They can use all of the reps they can get. I am kind of seeing this as an extension of the coming offseason. There is no way to get reps of this quality in the spring or summer, getting looks at kids from different levels. These games will make you a better program down the road.
You guys are 2 plays away from going to the playoffs.You guys are first class.I loved being up to see you play this year

BTW I don't think there are any CPS Prep Bowl Playoff games this week.Afer 98% of their teams get knocked out in round 1 there will be many games next week

You guys are 2 plays away from going to the playoffs.You guys are first class.I loved being up to see you play this year
True, but if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle. We are what our record says we are. I appreciate your sentiments towards the Vikings. We had a punchers chance this year at 5 wins, but we swung and missed. We'll be in the real tourney next year, but, for now, bring on the Rams.

[QUOTE="ClownBaby, post: 176431, member: 650
Next year they are going to add a bunch of Suburban Catholic schools, how does that figure in with the “tradition” so many old school CCL guys talk about? If anything it will take away from the game even more by eliminating teams like St Rita and De La Salle and replacing them with Benet and Carmel, is that good thing

[/QUOTE]
For 4 of 6yrs the Catholic representation came from the “suburban schools” who are merging in. Carmel was actually one of the teams that won it, as was Marian And the game was going pretty strong back then. Maybe with more teams and competition it will help the enthusiasm a little. Marist vs rice to play Phillips in a final, what is bad about that?

I’m thinking it’s probably pretty bad for the aspirations of Marist, Rice and Phillips...

Love the Prep Bowl.I wish the CCL had this in place years ago.They did invite Joliet & Marian Catholic out of the Illini 8 for 1 time.Would have loved to see that in place all the time.SFDS,Weber,Larry,mendel & others had some good teams that didn't even get in the Prep Bowl Playoffs.

He is a Naz fan but his point is legitimate, De La Salle earned a spot by having a winning record but the other teams are terrible and should not be playing in the post season.

The luster has really come off the Prep Bowl the last few years with the demise of CPS football and the game moving to Gatley. Next year they are going to add a bunch of Suburban Catholic schools, how does that figure in with the “tradition” so many old school CCL guys talk about? If anything it will take away from the game even more by eliminating teams like St Rita and De La Salle and replacing them with Benet and Carmel, is that good thing? Are people from the Suburbs dying to drive to Gatley on the Friday morning after thanksgiving to watch football?

And before anyone gives me some anti Catholic school crap my kids go to Catholic school and I’m fine with the prep bowl being played but it is becoming a joke in its current set up.
No, but a certain suburb catholic school thinks their gonna die driving to Gately. Lmao. Can’t stop my self. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT