ADVERTISEMENT

PR vs ESL

TigerforFlyers

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2018
I’ve seen a few comments on this matchup (even hypothetically) on a couple other threads, but I don’t believe that it has it’s own thread for the actual matchup. So, here:

Just honest opinions and not personal attacks/attitudes, please.

I think last week showed that PR is truly a one man show like even more than when they beat Naz with the Samson kid and I don’t think that bodes well for them. However I said it earlier that ESL has to figure out the option and that’s something for some reason they can’t seem to figure out. Yes I know they played them in 19 and won but I don’t think they necessarily figured out the option as much as they just had more athletes that were THAT much better than everyone else on the field and that may be the case this year too. If I had to pick a winner I’d say ESL but would say it with the confidence of a 5th grader at a school dance.

Seen PR in person once this year, extremely impressed by their execution on offense.

I don't see a repeat of an "upset" like last year though. That's based off of no thorough analyzation of game film, deep dive into schemes, or any of the other hoops posters jump through to justify their opinions. Last year my gut feeling was CG. This year my gut feeling is ESL.

No doubt PR is either the best or 2nd best team in Class 6A this year, we'll find out Saturday.

Cary-Grove was pushed to the limit last year to come away with a one-point win. The East St. Louis defense has improved since last year, and the Prairie Ridge defense this year is not nearly as good as the Cary-Grove defense last year. Prairie Ridge may hang around for the first quarter, perhaps even the entire first half; but in the second half I see East St. Louis pulling away for a comfortable three-touchdown margin of victory. The 43-21 score from 2019 more or less gets repeated. Even last year the Flyers' defense played the option much better in the second half. It takes a while to become accustomed to it.

I would say ESL no doubt, except for that CG game last year! Hope it's a good game, I sure think the others on SAturday will be. Can't wait.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
I would say ESL no doubt, except for that CG game last year! Hope it's a good game, I sure think the others on SAturday will be. Can't wait.
After three cold weekends of football, I’m looking forward to a much milder day in Champaign! I hope the rain holds until really late Saturday night so that weather won’t factor into any of the outcomes.

Prairie Ridge all year played no one and they finally did and had 200 yards of offense .
ESTL will stop the QB like St.Ignatius did and have the others beat them .
Big mismatch size and speed wise on both sides of the ball for ESTL .
ESTL will score on every possession.
Biggest blow out this weekend .
48-14 could be higher if ESTL coach doesn't let off the gas .
Cary Grove was a different team last year I would not compare the two.

That’s stupid option. You’re taught to fly to the football. the option requires a lot of patience to properly defend. The veer, triple option, whatever the hell you wanna call it. The only time my team was every behind was against an option team, Aleman, in the finals. The only time we ever gave up a 50-yard touchdown Was that game.

That’s stupid option. You’re taught to fly to the football. the option requires a lot of patience to properly defend. The veer, triple option, whatever the hell you wanna call it. The only time my team was every behind was against an option team, Aleman, in the finals. The only time we ever gave up a 50-yard touchdown Was that game.

Watching my team play PR this year, ball gets snapped and we got 1 guy bringing down the FB, 2 on the RB, the Wingback being chased and brought down by another, and my dumbbutt is wondering why there hasn't been a whistle yet, until I looked at the opposite sideline 30 yds upfield as Vasey streaked down the sideline completely untouched.

ESL will be able to blow up the LOS and disrupt the option a lot more I imagine.

Prairie Ridge all year played no one and they finally did and had 200 yards of offense .
Here we go again with the PR played no one. Are you a grown up or high schooler? The game against Iggy was on slick grass. Of course the yardage was going to be down. I agree ESL will most likely dominate this game but please stop diminishing PR’s season. It takes a journey to get to the finals and they made it.

Who wants to tell him?

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Here we go again with the PR played no one. Are you a grown up or high schooler? The game against Iggy was on slick grass. Of course the yardage was going to be down. I agree ESL will most likely dominate this game but please stop diminishing PR’s season. It takes a journey to get to the finals and they made it.
PR is good and deserve to have the opportunity to play the game. Some people just dont respect the reality of the game.

I think the first half will be close PR will throw everything they have at ESL onside kicks, and a lot of play action they will catch the ESL looking to stop Tyler and the wing will sprint down field open. Very important for db’s not to get caught looking in the backfield. Expect the unexpected PR has nothing to lose.

I'm think this will be a close game. Wouldn't be shocked if it's not, but I agree that PR will have a game plan to use Tyler's strength but also get other guys in good spots to expose Flyer matchups.

Turnovers, turnover, turnovers. If Flyers can force a couple, then I could see this stretching to a 2+ possession lead quickly. PR doesn't have to play perfect, but they need to chew clock and finish drives early to sway momentum/confidence

I think the difference will be ESLs size on the line. The best way to blow up any run game is to take away the middle. Would be interesting to see if they rotated in some of the big boys on the oline to NT to really disrupt some reads

That made me chuckle. The thought of that brings back tender memories of fragility.
Make no mistake that wasn't a Happy Little Accident. That was exactly what I was going for call me Bob Ross but I enjoy painting pictures with my words. Whether it be a happy little tree here or a bumbling 5th grader there, I am all about the details.

PR did not make it to state by accident. The program has a history of being in this moment. We can’t overlook the fact that the QB has over 3,000 yards rushing on the year. That’s more more than some teams have combined with passing and running. They run a system that we always have a hard time stopping. In 2019, I believe we were down in the first half. Last week, we were down at halftime. The biggest take from the Flyers this year, besides the defense, was the second half adjustments on offense and defense, that took place in the semifinals. When you have the ability to adjust mid game, take advantage to holes in the defense, and your kids are discipline enough to execute it, that’s a recipe for success. I look forward to a great game on Saturday.

I'm think this will be a close game. Wouldn't be shocked if it's not, but I agree that PR will have a game plan to use Tyler's strength but also get other guys in good spots to expose Flyer matchups.

Turnovers, turnover, turnovers. If Flyers can force a couple, then I could see this stretching to a 2+ possession lead quickly. PR doesn't have to play perfect, but they need to chew clock and finish drives early to sway momentum/confidence
PR will throw it all at us. That’s always the difference. The throttle will be wide open.

Why was the ESL Lemont game close? Serious question.
Semifinals is the short answer. Lemon has a good team this year. They came out and ran it right down our throat on the first two plays of the game. Also, we fumbled on our first possession. 14-0 early. Huge momentum push to start.
Personally I feel like we had a conservative offensive approach to start. Ran a couple pitch plays, etc. just didn’t start with the energy we needed for a semifinal game.

Lemont didn’t score again until late in the 3rd I believe. By that time, we figured out our offense.

All in all, it was a good game.

Semifinals is the short answer. Lemon has a good team this year. They came out and ran it right down our throat on the first two plays of the game. Also, we fumbled on our first possession. 14-0 early. Huge momentum push to start.
Personally I feel like we had a conservative offensive approach to start. Ran a couple pitch plays, etc. just didn’t start with the energy we needed for a semifinal game.

Lemont didn’t score again until late in the 3rd I believe. By that time, we figured out our offense.

All in all, it was a good game.
I definitely think East Side came out flat, and often times that will get you beat this deep in the playoffs. Thankfully, we found the adjustments we needed to make. I pray that doesn’t happen this week, because PR definitely knows how to let the air out of the ball (Control The Clock).

Lemont studied the game from last year and focused on ESL the entire year knowing that the potential matchup would come. The energy was extremely high from the start. Lemont winning the coin toss kick things off as they were able to force ESL into the wind in their first drive. On 3rd down, ESL had a screen play set up that would have gained 50 yards or more however, the wind took the pass and forced a punt into the wind. Momentum was on Lemont side and they took huge advantage of it. Before you could settle in your seats, the score was a 14-0. After that ESL went to work. Lemont refused to give up and fought to the last second. Their seniors were determined to get to state. Lemont senior group only varsity losses were to ESL. I think 1-32 both years would have been interesting.

Last edited:
I would compare this to the Mizzou-Georgia game earlier in the year; when Mizzou almost pulled off the upset. When you grow accustomed to winning Big, you naturally take things for granted. Making it through quarterfinals with a combined score of 156-0, it’s difficult to maintain intensity. Crete had beat undefeated Simeon 37-12 in the second week and we beat them 45-0 the following week. We all know that getting a bit too comfortable is a sure recipe for losing, but they are really still kids (14-17 yrs. Old) learning themselves. Lemont came out on fire, much like Mizzou did. In addition, Lemont was a good team. Just my opinion.

Size and speed? Praire ridge and Cary-Grove are coached to play low, they’re big on that. Cary and PR have always been small. Other Schools in the FVC have typically had bigger players than both PR and CG, How has that worked out for them? I think coaching will be a huge factor in the PR vs ESL game. Hopefully it’s a good game and not a one sided game.

Size and speed? Praire ridge and Cary-Grove are coached to play low, they’re big on that. Cary and PR have always been small. Other Schools in the FVC have typically had bigger players than both PR and CG, How has that worked out for them? I think coaching will be a huge factor in the PR vs ESL game. Hopefully it’s a good game and not a one sided game.
So when ESL won in ‘19 was that coaching? Did that game come down to coaching? Just want to make sure I follow “coaching will be a huge factor”.

You really should have played the lottery that weekend. Spot-on prediction. I only take exception to your first line.

Last edited:
Reactions: jha618
Did it come down to coaching in your opinion?

Make no mistake that wasn't a Happy Little Accident. That was exactly what I was going for call me Bob Ross but I enjoy painting pictures with my words. Whether it be a happy little tree here or a bumbling 5th grader there, I am all about the details.
@tuccs, given the results of the game, did your level of confidence increase at least just a little bit? Maybe akin to a high school jock at his senior year’s homecoming surrounded by 5 or more co-eds hanging on to his every word? Lol. All in fun……

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
The ESTL coaches were much better this year against the option .
Last year he favored Burden this year he just
did what the team can do best run and play defense.
If he coached like this last year they win that Cary Grove game by 4 tds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT