ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 2 preview

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Solid week for the ICE. Sounds like I missed a great game in Seneca. The results were about as expected in the other games, but not sure exactly how much was learned about some of the ICE squads.
6-2 in my picks so far. ICE schools 4-4 so far.

Reed-Custer (1-0) @ Johnsburg (1-0) - Not sure. that week 1 told us much about either team. A loss for RC last week would have told us they aren't very good, but a big win still doesn't mean they are good. Johnsburg didn't exactly have a tough week 1 matchup either. I think if Johnsburg has any type of a squad they can pull this out though. I don't think that this one will be one sided though. It seems like RC can still score. I will say Johnsburg in a comfortable win, but if they don't come to play it could be a long night for them. RC traveling doesn't help them any either. Johnsburg 35 - RC 24

Canton (0-1) @ Coal City (0-1) - Coal City is looking to bounce back after a trouncing. Canton typically hasn't been a great team and they got trounced week 1 too. I think the Coalers are a good team and Canton isn't. The green and gold gets things going this week and doesn't have to look ahead to week 3 so Loughran will use his time to have the Coalers prepared. CC 42 - Canton 14

Bishop Mac (0-1) @ Herscher (0-1) - Mac lost a tough one against Leo. I think Herscher is overmatched here. Mac will have the athletes to score as they please against a young Tiger team.

Seneca (1-0) @ Lisle (1-0) - From my reports Seneca is looking really really tough. Lisle beat an awful Harvard team, but the score wasn't as impressive as I anticipated. I think they are overmatched this week in an old school I-8 conference rekindling. Look for Seneca to win big here. Seneca 49 - Lisle 10

Plano (1-0) @ Manteno (0-1) - Another old school I-8 matchup. I really expected more out of Manteno week 1 and Plano beat Ottawa by a couple scores. Manteno is going to be in for a long season and it looks as though their only chances for wins may be the next two weeks. I think Manteno wants this one bad and needs it for any outside shot of playoff aspirations (are any 4 win teams making it in, I truly don't know where the numbers will be at this year), but I just don't believe in them this year. Plano controls this game. Plano 32 Manteno 12

Peotone (1-0) @ Sandwich (1-0) - Not sure about Sandwich, I know their JV was undefeated, but that doesn't always equate to varsity success. I have always been a 'Tone fan and they are always a tough opponent. I think Peotone has the experience here but it may not be easy for them. If they win here they should be undefeated going into the Wilmo game. Give me the devils. 'Tone 28 Sandwich 7

Streator (1-0) @ Ottawa (0-1) - Streator scored big against EP, but that has been the trend the last few years. Ottawa lost to Plano which isn't horrible by any means. I think Streator repeats their historic trends and fails to perform the rest of the season. They do have a backloaded schedule though and this could be a win they need to build momentum. Ottawa wins in an ugly game. Ottawa 45 - Streator 42

Aurora Christian (1-0) @ Wilmington (0-1) - GOTW!!! I swear it's not because I'm a homer. This just looks to be a sneaky tough game for Wilmington. AC destroyed Marquette who typically is a good team. Wilmington needs this one and a Reents practice is no fun after a loss. Hopefully this game doesn't take too much of a toll on Wilmington though because they have a tough few games coming up. The town will come out to support the Cats and the rumbling Harleys will be heard for miles. Double wing kinks get worked out and Cats control the clock. Wilmo 24 AC 10

There you have it. Dispute, debate, and discuss below!

Reed-Custer (1-0) @ Johnsburg (1-0) - GOTW!!! The Comets load the bus and take the show on the road to a proven program with confidence 💪. RC starts fast and hangs on. RC 34 Johnsburg 27

Canton (0-1) @ Coal City (0-1) - With these gas prices, it's lose-lose for Canton ⛽. The Little Giants get some shut eye on the long ride back. CC 38 Canton 6

Bishop Mac (0-1) @ Herscher (0-1) - I'd rather have oral surgery than attend this game 🔪. Mac 13-12.

Seneca (1-0) @ Lisle (1-0) - The Lions get a strong dose of what Wilmington had to swallow 💊. Seneca 48 Lisle 14

Plano (1-0) @ Manteno (0-1) - Yawwnnnn 🥱 Reapers running clock by the end of 3Q.

Peotone (1-0) @ Sandwich (1-0) - Sandy coming off a big win, but the Blue Devils are not Manteno ✔️. Peotone 34 Sandwich 13

Streator (1-0) @ Ottawa (0-1) - Streator scored a ton week one, but comes back to earth offensively and survives a close one 🆘 Streator 27 Ottawa 26

Aurora Christian (1-0) @ Wilmington (0-1) - Reents rights the ship and gets the Cats back on track 🐾. Pun intended. Wilmington 35 AC 27

RC @ Johnsburg- I’ll take the Comets until they prove me wrong. Johnsburg is a solid team but the Comets are playing with confidence.

Canton @ Coal City- Coalers get back on track against a cupcake opponent. Coalers Big!

Mac @ Herscher- I believe Herscher is in trouble right now. Not that Mac is great but they will have the best player on the field and I think he wins the game himself.

Seneca @ Lisle- Seneca by 40….in the first half. Lisle is not ready for what’s coming at them.

Plano @ Manteno- Plano has the athletes to match Manteno’s best strength this season. Plano wins this game and I think they may run away with it.

Peotone @ Sandwich- This is the toughest game for me to call. Not a homer pick but the Blue Devils are quicker and more athletic than we have been in a while. I like the Blue Devils to edge this one out late.

Streator @ Ottawa- Streator has to win this game for me to start to believe in them. I am going with Ottawa here. I hope they prove me wrong but until the Bulldogs beat a decent team I can’t pick them.

AC @ Wilmington- Not many people can come into Wilmington and take down the Cats. Tough task to get done. With some recent news out of the Wilmington area I will be picking AC. Wilmington is deep and a very good team but last weeks loss is going to be taking its toll on the Cats for multiple weeks. AC wins a close one.

Johnsburg over RC

Peotone over Sandwich

CC over Canton

Mac over Herscher

Seneca over Lisle

Ottawa over Streator

Wilmington over over AC

Plano over Manteno

RC @ Johnsburg- I’ll take the Comets until they prove me wrong. Johnsburg is a solid team but the Comets are playing with confidence.

Canton @ Coal City- Coalers get back on track against a cupcake opponent. Coalers Big!

Mac @ Herscher- I believe Herscher is in trouble right now. Not that Mac is great but they will have the best player on the field and I think he wins the game himself.

Seneca @ Lisle- Seneca by 40….in the first half. Lisle is not ready for what’s coming at them.

Plano @ Manteno- Plano has the athletes to match Manteno’s best strength this season. Plano wins this game and I think they may run away with it.

Peotone @ Sandwich- This is the toughest game for me to call. Not a homer pick but the Blue Devils are quicker and more athletic than we have been in a while. I like the Blue Devils to edge this one out late.

Streator @ Ottawa- Streator has to win this game for me to start to believe in them. I am going with Ottawa here. I hope they prove me wrong but until the Bulldogs beat a decent team I can’t pick them.

AC @ Wilmington- Not many people can come into Wilmington and take down the Cats. Tough task to get done. With some recent news out of the Wilmington area I will be picking AC. Wilmington is deep and a very good team but last weeks loss is going to be taking its toll on the Cats for multiple weeks. AC wins a close one.
What's the news out of Wilmington?

I like Plano to smash Manteno.

CC should dispatch Canton without much trouble.

I think Streator will beat Ottawa in a shootout.

Herscher is not gonna be able to stop the Mac RB.

I’ll reluctantly take Johnsburg over R-C but I think it will be tight.

Peotone will ground and pound Sandwich and pull away by a few scores.

Lisle will score some points, but won’t stop that Seneca offense.

Wilmo is gonna really have their hands full with AC. If the Cats can’t sustain long scoring drives, they are gonna be in for a struggle. I heard AC has some athletic kids and I expect them to put up some points.

Can’t throw that out there and not tell the class what’s going on? What happened in Reentsville…I mean Wilmington

Reed-Custer (1-0) @ Johnsburg (1-0) - Braidwood comes back down to earth this week. Johnsburg is always a quality team and will handle the Comets in this one. Skyhawks 42 Comets 13

Canton (0-1) @ Coal City (0-1) - Coalers will get a nice bounce back win in this get right game. Lot of work to do but I see the Coalers getting better every week. Coalers 31 Little Giants 6

Bishop Mac (0-1) @ Herscher (0-1) - Really want to pick Herscher here but I don't see them winning here. I don't think Mac is that good but good enough in this game Irish 20 Tigers 8

Seneca (1-0) @ Lisle (1-0) - Ok I am sold on Seneca being very good. I think Lisle is a bit of a mystery but definitely cannot hang with Seneca. Irish 49 Lions 13

Plano (1-0) @ Manteno (0-1) - I want to think Manteno is going to take the next step this year but after last week I am in doubt. But I will take the upset win here Panthers 27 Reapers 21

Streator (1-0) @ Ottawa (0-1) - I feel like I will fall in the trap that Streator is good like I do every year so I guess I will jump in. Bulldogs 34 Pirates 21

Peotone (1-0) @ Sandwich (1-0) - Tone with s big win last week and Sandwich might be better than some people think. Thursday night game and the Indians are playing on a short week with the win over Manteno Saturday. Kind of a got to have it game for both teams. Lots of ground and pound for both but I like Tone in this one. Should be a fun game. Blue Devils 34 Indians 18

Aurora Christian (1-0) @ Wilmington (0-1) - GOTW - Man I thought this was a for sure win for the Cats but now I have some doubts. Loss on the road at Seneca now back home against a very good 1A team. AC dismantled a normally very good Marquette team last week. I am quite sure it was not an easy week of practice in Reentsvillle this week. I give Wilmo the edge being at home here. Cats 40 Eagles 35

Last edited:
Reed-Custer @ Johnsburg - got to go with Johnsburg on this one. They are usually a pretty solid program and after a few bad seasons have righted the ship. RC had an inferior opponent last week and we will learn more about how good they are this week. Johnsburg 34 Reed-Custer 20

Canton @ Coal City - this one probably won't be much of a game. CC will rely on the ground and pound and that is a major weakness for the Canton D. Canton has the ability to be physical and keep it close. Coal City 28 Canton 6

Mac @ Herscher - Herscher got beat badly by a much improved Charleston squad but even the Trojans are not at tht level of Mac. Their RB will have a heyday, possiblity record breaking if Herscher can't find a way to slow him down. Mac 45 Herscher 6

Seneca @ Lisle - Seneca showed how good they can be last week and Lisle's new HC got a tune up against Harvard. Lisle will fond a way to score some points but it won't be enough Seneca 42 Lisle 16.

Plano @ Manteno - this would have been a great matchup in 2012 but now not so much. Plano is decent and Manteno has some things to figure out but I will give them the edge for being at home. Not a lot of defense in this game. Manteno 45 Plano 44

Streator @ Ottawa - Streator's QB had a day last week but against a very inferior opponent. Ottawa has improved as of late and I think they squeek this one out. Ottawa 27 Streator 21

Peotone @ Sandwich - Sandwich pulled away from Manteno and this is probably the best matchup with early playoff implications. Sandwich needs the win more than Peotone and will give the Devils all they can handle but the ground and pound style of Peotone wins. Peotone. 32 Sandwich 18

Aurora Christian @ Wilmington - Wilmington coming off of a tough week one loss and AC coming of a huge win over Marquette. A game of opposites, spread vs. Double wing, public vs. private, surburb vs. Rural. Wilmington 35 Aurora Christian 24

Sandwich beats up on Manteno and Peotone in back to back weeks. I bet they wish they were in the ICE Conference. They just put a beating on a Blue Devil team that by most people were picked to finish behind Wilmington and maybe Coal City. Not a good look for the conference. Maybe conference is down? Maybe Peotone just had a bad game? Maybe Peotone isn’t very good? I’m at a loss. Sandwich who didn’t have a Varsity program last season just went 2-0 vs the ICE. I don’t care how good the JV was last year. That shouldn’t have happened.

Reactions: Gene K.
Sandwich beats up on Manteno and Peotone in back to back weeks. I bet they wish they were in the ICE Conference. They just put a beating on a Blue Devil team that by most people were picked to finish behind Wilmington and maybe Coal City. Not a good look for the conference. Maybe conference is down? Maybe Peotone just had a bad game? Maybe Peotone isn’t very good? I’m at a loss. Sandwich who didn’t have a Varsity program last season just went 2-0 vs the ICE. I don’t care how good the JV was last year. That shouldn’t have happened.
I figured manteno is bad.....maybe Sandwich is good too.....I do think if Peotone is down that the conference as a whole is down.....they are typically tough...without them it's just Wilmo and CC

I figured manteno is bad.....maybe Sandwich is good too.....I do think if Peotone is down that the conference as a whole is down.....they are typically tough...without them it's just Wilmo and CC
You forgot the Comets 💫 Wilmington, Coal City and Reed-Custer 💪

I’m sure that Sandwich is a little bit better than most people here considered, but this loss by Peotone clearly shows some things about the depth of the ICE. Feel free to make that into a clever pun.

Why shouldn't it happen? I am sure the coaches and players at Sandwich were embarrassed and used that as motivation to work hard in the offseason and improve the Win/Loss record and grow numbers in the program.

In small conferences, people always use the JV record to indicate how good the varsity team will be based on the Sophs and I do not see this any different for Sandwich. They had a good JV season last year and obviously, they improved. Or maybe Manteno and Peotone didn't take their opponent seriously but seeing they won both games by double digits, I would say Sandwich is not a bad football team. The question is do they have any other wins on their schedule?

AC shot themselves in the foot early, and vintage Wilmo from there. Nice bounce back win.
Edit: Wilmo wins 31-7. AC scored in last minute against the 2nd/3rd string.

Last edited:
Ottawa just to Streator to the woodshed by a tune of 41-zip. Ottawa is not terrible but not great either. I don’t see Streator beating anyone in conference play other than Hershey and Manteno.
On a side note I’m friends with some Sandwich folk and from the sounds of it they have their ship pointed in the right direction with their youth program and and the feeders so how they’ve faired thus far hasn’t really surprised me.

Wilmo 31-7 over AC
Ottawa smoked Streator 41-0
CC smoked Canton also 41-0
R-C lost 40-37 to Johnsburg
Plano shutout Manteno 29-0
Mac edged Herscher 14-7
Seneca 40-7 over Lisle

Wilmo 31-7 over AC
Ottawa smoked Streator 41-0
CC smoked Canton also 41-0
R-C lost 40-37 to Johnsburg
Plano shutout Manteno 29-0
Mac edged Herscher 14-7
Seneca 40-7 over Lisle
Wilmo back on track
CC had a get right game against a bad team
Streator, Lisle and Manteno are just bad
Herscher almost gets the win, I know Mac isn’t what they used to be but it would of been good for the Herscher program to get that W
Braidwood makes it interesting but gets beat
Really surprised that Tone lost by that big of a margin at Sandwich. They need to put that in the rear view and move on

Reactions: doctor_d
Streator suckers me every year it seems. I guess I’m not surprised they lost, but I am surprised they got blanked.

Maybe Sandwich is really good, and I expect Peotone will be ok. As long as they came out relatively healthy, it might turn out to be a good thing.

Nice to see the Coalers get back on track. Got some old high school buddies that have kids on the team.

Reed-Custer seems to still be able to put up some points. I will continue to give them a puncher’s chance at a playoff spot.

Wilmo righted the ship even without QB1 and RB2. They were motivated, and AC made mistakes early and dug too deep of a hole. AC had some nice young talent. Lots of sophomores.

Streator suckers me every year it seems. I guess I’m not surprised they lost, but I am surprised they got blanked.

Maybe Sandwich is really good, and I expect Peotone will be ok. As long as they came out relatively healthy, it might turn out to be a good thing.

Nice to see the Coalers get back on track. Got some old high school buddies that have kids on the team.

Reed-Custer seems to still be able to put up some points. I will continue to give them a puncher’s chance at a playoff spot.

Wilmo righted the ship even without QB1 and RB2. They were motivated, and AC made mistakes early and dug too deep of a hole. AC had some nice young talent. Lots of sophomores.
Where were the QB and RB?

Losing to Sandy really hurts as the Blue Devils have their backs against the wall the next 3 weeks.
@ RC , host Wilmington , @ CC. If they can win one of those and STAY HEALTHY, they have a great shot at running the table into the playoffs.

The mystery that is Streator football continues. 70+ points week one , ZERO week two :eek:

I know Herscher has been the whipping boy here the last couple years, but they are coming back. And some guys were dumb enough to mention them playing 8 man by now.. but they have 82 kids in the program, in the middle of spending $5.5 million on the football facility.. they start 5 sophs on offense including QB and RB.. they will be a playoff team next year

I know Herscher has been the whipping boy here the last couple years, but they are coming back. And some guys were dumb enough to mention them playing 8 man by now.. but they have 82 kids in the program, in the middle of spending $5.5 million on the football facility.. they start 5 sophs on offense including QB and RB.. they will be a playoff team next year
I definitely never mentioned 8 man, but their program did take an unexpected and precipitous fall. Glad to hear things are looking up.
Must have had a good game plan last night to slow down Wright and hold them to 14. I was thinking he would get loose a few times.

With both RC and Peotone losing, it makes next weeks game possibly the most important game in the ICE this season. Even with losses, both have a chance to get into the playoffs but a win would make it much easier.

I see Wilmington and Coal City as locks for making the playoffs.

Reed-Custer and Peotone have great shots to get in.

Lisle has an outside shot if they can get past Manteno, Herscher, Streator and pull an upset over RC or Peotone.

The ICE is in a good spot and people can say its a down year but when losses came from Seneca (top tier 2A team this season), Morris (5A powerhouse), Johnsburg (solid program), Mac (usually solid), and Sandwich (possibly a 6 win team), I give props for teams going out and finding quality opponents for non-cons.

Last night I was at SJO vs. Unity and SJO pulled a somewhat surprising upset of Tolono Unity. It was a phenomenal game on both sides of the ball.

ICE was 6-10 non-conference.

A loss to Morris is a given.

Two losses to Seneca… I think time will prove that the Irish are very formidable.

Two losses to Sandwich… would have sounded really bad preseason. Will have to wait and see how they end up and how they compete against teams like R-B, Rochelle and Johnsburg.

The way it looks as of now is that Lisle, Peotone, and RC all need to win at least one of their games against each other in order to get to 5 wins. My guess is Lisle will have the toughest time doing that.

I have mentioned this in an unrelated ICE post and maybe once here before too, but will 4 wins be enough to get anyone in this year. Last year we had one team in with 4. I'm not sure about the numbers this year if any teams (or more than 1) teams get in with 4 wins or not.

My guess is none of our ICE teams would get in with 4 anyway because all three of those teams I previously listed played a cupcake week 1 and will not get many playoff points from Herscher, Streator, or Manteno. I think the most any of those teams potentially provide is 3 (Streator) or 2 from Manteno and Herscher.

I see Wilmo and CC as playoff locks, and I see Peotone and RC sliding in with 5 wins. If some crazy stuff happens and some of the bottom teams pull an upset here or there then it surely could be possible that only Wilmo and CC make it in. I don't see that happening though. Still a lot of season left and teams will start to find their groove.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT