ADVERTISEMENT

Possibly for a Spring football season

IgorStL

Nov 6, 2017
Is there any way a conference (CCL/ESCC) could say screw it, and practice on the original IHSA schedule, and play across the border somewhere? Hell, these seniors would kill for a 6 game schedule. Liability is the main issue, but other states pulled it off while still going against their state health department. Are there any insurance guys on here? AD's from other states? Once insurance is in place, I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to rent a facility in Indiana. Friday nights/Saturday afternoons aren't that busy in the Spring.

Is there any way a conference (CCL/ESCC) could say screw it, and practice on the original IHSA schedule, and play across the border somewhere? Hell, these seniors would kill for a 6 game schedule. Liability is the main issue, but other states pulled it off while still going against their state health department. Are there any insurance guys on here? AD's from other states? Once insurance is in place, I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to rent a facility in Indiana. Friday nights/Saturday afternoons aren't that busy in the Spring.

That’s a good question? I can’t see any reason a school couldn’t. If they scheduled it an away game I don’t think the state could do anything about it. Maybe force quarantine? In any case it does raise a good question.

Reactions: IgorStL
the second one of those teams leave and do that I bet they would NEVER be let back in. Kind of stinks for this years kids but you kind of then are sacrificing the future.

There is a part of this that is actually fascinating to me because, not having any association with teen-agers in several years, I confess to not knowing the answer.
Here's what was written: "These seniors would kill for a 6-game schedule."
The question is this: Many football fans on this board have made it very clear that they are in favor of crowning state champions. I have seen discussions of a five-game regular season, followed by five weeks of regular playoffs for the top half and a consolation Game 4 for the teams that scuffled during the five-game season.
I have also looked at what Wisconsin did, in which it limited playoffs to I believe three rounds, I think. I know that state champions were not crowned. In fact, I remember reading that a lot of playoff games were not held because of virus issues, but that's not the point here.
The question is: If the IHSA says, football teams have a 10-week season ... 2.5 weeks of practice, followed by seven regular season games then a high school "bowl game" if you will, would the kids want to play this spring ... especially the non-college prospects who also play other sports? I have no clue. I don't know.
I just get a sense of reading stuff from you fans that the state tournament is a vital component to having a season. That's the impression I have gotten from reading this stuff for the past 10 months.
But then, the past few days, we have a suggestion that a six-game regular season with no playoffs is something the kids would eagerly accept at this point.
And, of course, there's the "club" football suggestion in which there would be X number of regular games but obviously no state tournament.
So, is the state-playoff system now out of everyone's heart and mind? If it is, that's fine. It just seems as though, for several months here, the suggestion was that a spring season of 6-7 games and 2 rounds of playoffs was nothing the kids would be interested in.
There's another thing that would come into play with a six-game regular season and no playoffs. Let's say the season games run in April and May ... just picking two months out of a hat.
With no need to win X number of games to make the playoffs, and another complete season starting with camp days in June, how much playing time will current juniors earn at the expense of seniors, if there are no state playoffs. I don't know.
In a six-game regular season and no postseason, how many coaches will want to go 6-0, and how many will be trying to develop a team to go 9-0 a few months later?
Anyway, final thought on a conference deciding to a play high school football conference season this spring. That idea is a lot of things, but a recruiting tool is not one of them.
If the kids are at school already, the school has their tuition money for this year. And if you play against the IHSA mandate this spring, what guarantee is there that you will be allowed to play in the IHSA next year? And then, you've LOST your recruiting edge by being an elite-level program that's always play in mid-to-late November.

They had the oppurtunity with basketball and backed down to JB when IHSA wanted to go forward.

Reactions: IgorStL
They had the oppurtunity with basketball and backed down to JB when IHSA wanted to go forward.
True, but they were being led to believe that they could still play this year. That chart shows that they never had any intention of letting football, basketball, and wrestling play. We're out of options. And yes, the state tournament would be nice. That dream is dead. Conference champs is the best we can get. And the boys would absolutely love a shot at it.
Do you really think the IHSA would tell the CCL to leave? Lol.

True, but they were being led to believe that they could still play this year. That chart shows that they never had any intention of letting football, basketball, and wrestling play. We're out of options. And yes, the state tournament would be nice. That dream is dead. Conference champs is the best we can get. And the boys would absolutely love a shot at it.
Do you really think the IHSA would tell the CCL to leave? Lol.

No. I am waiting for them to ignore JB.Haven't seen it yet.

I had mentioned playing in other states last year especially teams close to the border.

WHat this boils down to simply is insurance. “Getting insurance” in another state to play a sport that your state, for whatever reason, deems unsafe, is a great challenge. I’m sure the programs here in Illinois could get it, but would those riders carry into Wisconsin or Indiana or even Iowa.

then the point about standing up to JB. It’s all talk for now until actual action is required. What I saw the other day was just another case of moving the goal posts back.

I haven’t been confident since they pulled the plug in July and am not today. Don’t see him letting it happen as he will let the clock expire.

1 proposal that was floated out the other day had wrestling, football, basketball and LaCrosse all at the same time. That’s how utterly senseless this whole process has been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT