ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Crazy Scenario

OPRF Illini 96

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
It just hit me today. Currently in the Catholic League Green, Mount Carmel is 3-0, and De La Salle and Fenwick are 2-1. Saturday, Mount Carmel hosts Fenwick. Of course, if the Caravan wins, they are the Green champs, and the conference champ gains an automatic berth.

BUT...

If Fenwick pulls an upset (unlikely but stranger things have happened), I think there is a scenario in which the Friars can still gain a state playoff berth despite having what would be a 4-5 record. If they beat MC and DLS loses to St. Laurence, based on the head-to-head tiebreaker, Fenwick would be Green champs.

FWIW, the IHSA site has Fenwick still eligible for a playoff berth. Personally, I don't see the Friars winning at MC, but just so you know, they have not been eliminated from playoff consideration yet.

It just hit me today. Currently in the Catholic League Green, Mount Carmel is 3-0, and De La Salle and Fenwick are 2-1. Saturday, Mount Carmel hosts Fenwick. Of course, if the Caravan wins, they are the Green champs, and the conference champ gains an automatic berth.

BUT...

If Fenwick pulls an upset (unlikely but stranger things have happened), I think there is a scenario in which the Friars can still gain a state playoff berth despite having what would be a 4-5 record. If they beat MC and DLS loses to St. Laurence, based on the head-to-head tiebreaker, Fenwick would be Green champs.

FWIW, the IHSA site has Fenwick still eligible for a playoff berth. Personally, I don't see the Friars winning at MC, but just so you know, they have not been eliminated from playoff consideration yet.
I thought the conference had to have 6 members in order to have an automatic qualifier? if so, then they wouldn't get in. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: ignazio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT