ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff qualification and class determination reminder

gw86

Oct 26, 2015
It seems like this time of year there’s always new posters (and even some that have been around) that don’t know or understand how qualifiers and classes are determined. Here’s the official process:

For those trying to project ahead of Saturday’s release, make sure you read through that first. As someone who pre-family days had a little more time and would try and “predict” ahead of time, a tip is to use the “Playoff Clinchers and Hopefuls” page instead of the “Playoff Outlook” page. Get to your projected 256 qualifiers first, then divide them into the classes.

Are the enrollments actual enrollments? How can there be half numbers? What happened to "football enrollment"?

Reactions: Golden Warrior
Are the enrollments actual enrollments? How can there be half numbers? What happened to "football enrollment"?
IHSA is now using 2-year moving averages for enrollment.

If I'm not mistaken - this means this year's enrollments are based on the '19-'20 & '20-'21 school year enrollment numbers for each school. (Then add on multipliers as appliable for non-boundaried schools, boys-only, etc.).

• Haha
Reactions: 4Afan
IHSA is now using 2-year moving averages for enrollment.

If I'm not mistaken - this means this year's enrollments are based on the '19-'20 & '20-'21 school year enrollment numbers for each school. (Then add on multipliers as appliable for non-boundaried schools, boys-only, etc.).
Was throwing out sill questions that always get asked. Sorry, it's tough to convey sarcasm in print.

Reactions: USD24
You guys missed my favorite of how a team can be ranked in one class all year and then the fans are beside themselves when they’re in a different class once pairings come out.

I will say, it can get a bit confusing trying to explain to someone why a Saturday week 9 game between a 1-7 and 2-6 cps schools can throw a projection off because that one playoff point impacts the cut line or seeds.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
seeding is ok & I like the projections ok.Most of the time the projections take the mystery out of who might be playing who & kinda takes the fun away.I miss the non seeded wednesday games

All the low seeded teams are praying they get paired against a CPS team in the first round

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT