ADVERTISEMENT

Phase 2 delayed FYI

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Andersen said still waiting on approval from IDPH. Will stay on phase 1 into next week while state moves to phase 4. No timetable yet.

Andersen said still waiting on approval from IDPH. Will stay on phase 1 into next week while state moves to phase 4. No timetable yet.
Honestly did anyone really think we would be allowed to do anything at minimum until August? From what I see right now we’re ahead of where I think most people expect us to be. Yes a lot can still happen but we’re still making positive progress forward that’s all we can ask for. And the smartest thing the IHSA did was get their plan out ahead of the state Board of Health Otherwise we’d all be waiting around and blaming them when it’s the state agency’s delay.

I agree with Edgy. I think they are planning to play, or at least trying to. I was pretty surprised at the hospital stats when I looked at them this week and if we stay on trend while opening up more in July, will help the decision makers. There is no way they can come out and say it is a go at this time, too many variables. What if there is a big spike or change here in Illinois? Then they have to back track and cancel everything after giving the go ahead. If they were going to cancel the seasons and knew that already then they just need to drop the bomb and come out with, which I doubt is the case because they are allowing youth sports to startIng next week. Just me trying to read between the lines but, we have plans for either scenario just in case

didn't the IDPH sign off on Pritzker's Phase 4 guidelines? one would think they did. so then why wouldn't they also sign off on IHSA's Stage 2 plans? they are basically the same thing.

Reactions: IgorStL
didn't the IDPH sign off on Pritzker's Phase 4 guidelines? one would think they did. so then why wouldn't they also sign off on IHSA's Stage 2 plans? they are basically the same thing.
Because this is Illinois. The IHSA Phase 1 rules sat on their desk for two weeks before they looked at them. Why would these be any different?

Two questions for everyone. Whats you opinion? If the state is at one phase and Chicago is at a lower phase could the Chicago teams just play on the road let say weeks one and two out of Chicago. Question two Could Illinois teams play out of state? I see SR has an out of state opponent week 1 at home. Could they just play them on the road? Anyone else have a week one game with an out of state team?

Two questions for everyone. Whats you opinion? If the state is at one phase and Chicago is at a lower phase could the Chicago teams just play on the road let say weeks one and two out of Chicago. Question two Could Illinois teams play out of state? I see SR has an out of state opponent week 1 at home. Could they just play them on the road? Anyone else have a week one game with an out of state team?
Edwardsville is supposed to play De Smet(Missouri) in Edwardsville week 1.
East St.Louis is supposed to play CBC(Missouri) at CBC week 1.
Then is week 2 they swap opponents. East Side also has a week three game at St.John Bosco(California)

It would be a dilemma if Chicago was in a lock down and the rest of the state was somewhat open. I think the IHSA would frown on any Chicago team taking a game out of state unless it already was scheduled. St. Rita does have an Indiana team week one. They could flip that to a road game as I believe it’s a 2 year deal. Week two I think is only a one year deal. Maybe Tom or Witty could chime in.

There has been a lot of contingency games being thrown around for those with CPS games week 1 and 2 through emails going around. Also some who are just looking to take a forfeit which could be smart depending on the school and schedule.

There has been a lot of contingency games being thrown around for those with CPS games week 1 and 2 through emails going around. Also some who are just looking to take a forfeit which could be smart depending on the school and schedule.
If I'm a fan and player I want a game. If I'm an administrator I think I'd lean towards a forfeit this year. Limit the exposure outside of your school. There has to be tons of logistics going into games these days.

Reactions: McCaravan
I agree @godfthr53 but then what about next summer? I know it's not popular opinion but I am one that doesn't see anything changing a year from now. Or maybe forever. I think there will always be positive cases, every day in every state, even when a vaccine eventually comes. It's either figure out to just do it, or we can't plan on ever doing anything again. But that narrative will only come from the top down. This sucks.

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
I agree @godfthr53 but then what about next summer? I know it's not popular opinion but I am one that doesn't see anything changing a year from now. Or maybe forever. I think there will always be positive cases, every day in every state, even when a vaccine eventually comes. It's either figure out to just do it, or we can't plan on ever doing anything again. But that narrative will only come from the top down. This sucks.
Even if the Vaccine comes out you can’t force people to get it. A lot of people I know don’t get the flu shot....I’ve got the flu shot a couple times and got the flu a month later.

I've seen reports where Fauci questions whether or not the vaccine will create herd immunity...CNN article where he claims if vaccine is only 70-75% effective and only 50% get the vaccine that it won't be enough for herd immunity. Then...maybe herd immunity is already the way to go...I've said it before, what is the plan if there is never any vaccine or effective treatment...Do they test for asymptomatic or anti-bodies before vaccinating?

60 counties in Illinois have fewer than 50 total cases. I have to figure Pope County (1 case) v. Hardin County (1 case) is pretty safe...That whole southeast corner of the state has 13 counties, 70 total cases (22 in Wabash)...

Considering there were 71K deaths from the Flu last year or so I don't see anything changing. Fear has been created and people are reacting. The issue is the idea of this is something that can be controlled. A lot of protest took place and the numbers are matching the effort. Not really news.

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
Even if the Vaccine comes out you can’t force people to get it. A lot of people I know don’t get the flu shot....I’ve got the flu shot a couple times and got the flu a month later.
I've never gotten a flu shot.

Nor will I ever.
OK in case you don't really know, here is how the Flu Vaccine works (but this does NOT equate to how any C-19 Vaccine would work).

1) You cannot catch the Flu from a Flu Shot. That wasn't always true but has been true for at least 30 years. They used to use LIVE viruses in the Flu Shot and many people would catch the Flu from the shot. They now use dead virus strains that will NOT give you the Flu.

2) The Flu Shot is extremely effective in preventing the Flu, IF they picked the right Flu strains to include in the shot that year. In any given year they basically do a lot of educated guess work and pick 12-15 strains of the Flu to be included in that year's Flu Shot. 12-15 strains is the most they can put in a Vaccine and there are many more strains than that. (I stated 12-15 strains included but the number(s) may be lower like 6-10, but you get the gist.)

3) You can still catch the Flu with the Flu Shot. If you are exposed to a strain that wasn't included in their shot that year (or) just simply because the shot is not 100% effective.

But who knows how a Covid-19 Vaccine might work.

OK in case you don't really know, here is how the Flu Vaccine works (but this does NOT equate to how any C-19 Vaccine would work).

1) You cannot catch the Flu from a Flu Shot. That wasn't always true but has been true for at least 30 years. They used to use LIVE viruses in the Flu Shot and many people would catch the Flu from the shot. They now use dead virus strains that will NOT give you the Flu.

2) The Flu Shot is extremely effective in preventing the Flu, IF they picked the right Flu strains to include in the shot that year. In any given year they basically do a lot of educated guess work and pick 12-15 strains of the Flu to be included in that year's Flu Shot. 12-15 strains is the most they can put in a Vaccine and there are many more strains than that. (I stated 12-15 strains included but the number(s) may be lower like 6-10, but you get the gist.)

3) You can still catch the Flu with the Flu Shot. If you are exposed to a strain that wasn't included in their shot that year (or) just simply because the shot is not 100% effective.

But who knows how a Covid-19 Vaccine might work.

I read from one of the heads of the pharma companies working on a covid vaccine that it would be an annual vaccine just like the flu shot. Which means it will morph like the flu and they will be guessing at the most common strain like they do the flu each year. Long story short, there will never be a “cure” for covid, it’s here forever like the flu. Some will get it, some will not, some will get lightly ill, some will get very sick, and some will die. Too many people talk like we are going to get a polio vaccine and it will go away....

I think this is a different but similar article to what I had seen:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200504/--annual_covid-19-vaccine-may-be-necessary

It would be a dilemma if Chicago was in a lock down and the rest of the state was somewhat open. I think the IHSA would frown on any Chicago team taking a game out of state unless it already was scheduled. St. Rita does have an Indiana team week one. They could flip that to a road game as I believe it’s a 2 year deal. Week two I think is only a one year deal. Maybe Tom or Witty could chime in.
Sorry to take so long to reply but I’ve been doing all of those little things around the house that you say you’ll get to if you had time. I have no idea what the IHSA or the governor have in mind. I don’t think they have a long term idea either. I think every day they get up and have to reassess. I’m a transplant patient so this virus is affecting me more than the general public on how I have to social distance. I can’t imagine not going to football games. I may have to ask Dr. Grieco to bring up a xxl surgical gown from Bloomington IL. We may have to look like two guys that just came from a NASA clean room. The alumni luncheons at Rita have been cancelled because of the virus. So my sources have dried up. It’s been suggested that I don’t ask the guest speakers questions it’s more like an interrogation. So I’m sort of in an information vacuum.

I know some of the kids are out of state. Kaleb Brown was in Kissimmee (Fla.) this past weekend. He played wide receiver for Midwest BOOM a 7-on-7 program based out of Chicago. Everyone is working him out as a WR. But I still see him taking most of his snaps at RB this season.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-recruiting-kaleb-brown-dominates-7-on-7

It’s a shame Toyota park, or what ever they are calling it, doesn’t have field turf. They could block every other row and make people sit 8 feet apart. Love to see some triple headers to start the season. The facility could sell a lot of nachos and cheese to the kids.

Reactions: Gene K. and CougsX
Appears the ISU and Champaign marching band invitationals have been cancelled. If they won't allow band....

Band competitions are canceled because of the concern over number of spectators. Those things are huge money makers and fund many programs. Without the ability to pack the stands, the competitions take on less meaning for the programs. Kids can still be in band and learn etc, but the need for the competitions to produce dollars is the reason for cancellations, not necessarily concern for the spread of the virus...jmo

Thoughts on this LZ coach thought process? See tweet and his reply under it. Does this sound like LZ is going to move forward with practice regardless if stage 2 isn't approved? I'm confused.

I think most coaches have a plan and have had one for a while now. They are waiting on the IHSA, which is/was waiting on IDPH to set the parameters and then tweak it to fit.

I think most coaches have a plan and have had one for a while now. They are waiting on the IHSA, which is/was waiting on IDPH to set the parameters and then tweak it to fit.

Yes but the point here is that Lake Zurich is apparently moving forward with practice per the state phase 4 guidelines; presumably those set forth for youth sports. They are right in so much that as long as they do they will be following the state law and within there rights to do so. The only question at play here is whether or not there is a sanction the IHSA can place on them for practicing outside of IHSA established contact days. I imagine they won’t exceed the approved 20 days for this year as amended by a board vote recently. So will they ihsa sanction them? Come in and say you are ineligible for post season play this year or the next year that a post season occurs?

Thoughts on this LZ coach thought process? See tweet and his reply under it. Does this sound like LZ is going to move forward with practice regardless if stage 2 isn't approved? I'm confused.

There’s also a disclaimer that you need to add to this. They aren’t going to be practicing like the IHSA stage 2 dictates. From what I saw online it looks like they are going to be maintaining 6ft of social distancing, which doesn’t amount to much more than conditioning sessions. Stage 2 says groups of 50 actually practicing. This is not that.

If they are full go, then that’s an issue. They are getting an unfair advantage by practicing before anyone else is.

Last edited:
There’s also a disclaimer that you need to add to this. They aren’t going to be practicing like the IHSA stage 2 dictates. From what I saw online it looks like they are going to be maintaining 6ft of social distancing, which doesn’t amount to much more than conditioning sessions. Stage 2 says groups of 50 actually practicing. This is not that.

If they are full go, then that’s an issue. They are getting an unfair advantage by practicing before anyone else is.

They haven't begun Stage 1 yet for them and the entire North Sub conference....so I'm guessing they are talking more Stage 1 excitement etc. You guys do realize this is the era of the cell phone and camera and if anyone does anything even remotely questionable...it won't happen for long.

Reactions: eagles2k3
They haven't begun Stage 1 yet for them and the entire North Sub conference....so I'm guessing they are talking more Stage 1 excitement etc. You guys do realize this is the era of the cell phone and camera and if anyone does anything even remotely questionable...it won't happen for long.
I’m totally on the same page with you. Just was explaining that to everyone else.

PS. Word on the street is the Pirates are bringing back the Ohio State look in fall of 2021.

What will you do, Tim, if there's no season? Will you close the forum and retire? Turn into a cranky old coot and yell at people to get off your lawn?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT