ADVERTISEMENT

Overused Sports Terms

redmen85

Dec 17, 2014
I’m so tired of hearing coaches talk about their team’s culture.
others?

Agree. It's common sense. "hey our culture is awful, but we have a good program"...said no one ever.

It's hard to do, but easy to get caught up in cliche talk. And in HS sports, don't want to talk negatively about kids. I prefer to hear coaches talk *specifically* about what they do to enhance talent, gameplay, etc. We get it, everyone has a great culture and loves their brothers. This is a big issue for me with LWC personally.

Bingo- Just say “they get along with each other “
My question is has something specifically been done to develop this? Have you and your players spent time outside of practice achieving this?

I get that its an overused term, but I also value the programs that truly develop a culture and don't just pay lip service to it. Those programs with hard working coaching staffs that actually have a culture they are developing are the obvious ones. They are usually winning programs with big numbers because the "right" kids want to be a part of that. I won't name names, but we all have an idea of who those programs are. The school and the coaches are on the same page and they are doing their best to develop greatness both on field and off and don't apologize for attempting to achieve and demand what it takes to be great on gameday and win games.

Then there are the coaches that say one thing and do another and refer to culture at their program - as if they can pretend they have some "culture" they can hang their hat on because they can't hang their hat on any other measurable results.

Overused sports terms are all that Kirk Herbstreit uses in his weekly gushing during college FB broadcasts. Tied for second would be the claptrap we hear from Nagy and Trubisky from training camp forward.

4thqtr.png

GOAT. Greatest of all time is named after a lazy farm animal.

It's odd how often the teams that win alot and boast great culture also happen to simply have more talented players than everyone else. Coach, I'm glad your team has tremendous culture, but it also helps that your skill positions are absolutely stacked.

Reactions: USD24 and mc140
I love hearing about culture and am fascinated w the programs that have great ones. Read everything I can about culture.

most overrated on my opinion is.....”LET’S GO!” Can we figure out something else to say after a big play please??

Reactions: McCaravan
It's odd how often the teams that win alot and boast great culture also happen to simply have more talented players than everyone else. Coach, I'm glad your team has tremendous culture, but it also helps that your skill positions are absolutely stacked.

How often does the most talented team not win it all? The culture they talk about was usually built over years it’s not like one day you flip a switch and it’s there.

Last edited:

disagree

Culture has more to do w winning than talent. Culture even develops the talent to a certain extent.

I always how much talent is out there that is wasted bc a programs culture blows.

Think of what North Central was before the Thorne family got there and changed the culture.

west aurora was terrible before Eimer arrived.

East Aurora got a new coach and things are as good as they’ve been in 30 years.

Piron at Batavia took over and has developed an outstanding program and culture.

Beebe at AU in year one took a 4-6 team to a top 20 national team w the same kids.

talent doesn’t make you work hard, lift weights, show up on time, make good reads....that’s all culture.

Reactions: Gene K.
Not that I don’t really like the EA coach, but I’d say Becker and the tomcat youth football program started that culture change.

The thing about "culture" is it can change really quick both good and bad. Especially at high schools that can't reload every year like a college team.

When your best player has a great attitude, respected by teammates and works hard it spreads. Even if you are not winning as much as you want, you will still get things accomplished at practice.

You can win with players who don't get along and a best player who is lazy. Its just that those teams are miserable to be around and tend to implode at some point.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Change in conference also helped.

it’s ok to simply give credit where credit is do. Their weight room is night and day, their energy is night and day, college coaches actually want to recruit the school now.... the coach is doing a heck of a job.

also, speaks to the culture at north central. EA HC is an alum.

His Hiring

Last edited:
I've always thought about program culture as something that transcends a particular coach. There are certain programs that are consistent winners, regardless of who the head coach is. If a head coach leaves and everything falls apart, that is coaching, not culture.

Reactions: missingwalter
Bingo- Just say “they get along with each other “
My question is has something specifically been done to develop this? Have you and your players spent time outside of practice achieving this?

I think culture is different than team chemistry. Culture is having those kids that are 10 years old dying to get out on the big field under the lights. It's getting 8th graders into the weight room starting in the spring. It's having a town back your team. Your school colors lining the streets of the town.

There is no better culture than small town football. I'm not saying your larger schools don't have a culture, but something about a small town that's living and breathing football. I was a kid when Anderson and Wilkins ran wild for Wilmington and every kid 4-14 bought in. Then the other great teams of WHS carried the torch and got the next group of kids hooked.

To me, "culture" is a fake buzzword cooked up in the media. If it were not for COVID, it probably would have made one of those banished words list you see annually in December or January.

To me, "culture" is a fake buzzword cooked up in the media. If it were not for COVID, it probably would have made one of those banished words list you see annually in December or January.

I do think it's overused, but it's still a real thing.

Careful a lot of companies have made a lot of money using that culture word.

Culture = how + why

Culture is literally the backbone/foundation to any well run company or team.

I encourage you to read Jon Gordon’s you win the locker room first.

Sean McVay, Dabo Swiney, PJ Fleck all run their programs in his principles.

Urban Meyers book Above the Line is equally as great. “There is nothing more important for the head coach to define the culture and enforce it each and every day. It’s our standard.”

Culture is not over talked about.

"Blue collar". Oh really? In football? Who would have guessed
To me, saying “blue collar” was a way of saying anyone could do it. The last thing I want to see is my plumber playing MLB for the Bears.

I also don’t want to see Roquan Smith working on my pipes.

Reactions: penlight
Over used? How about "Football" as one.

"That was a great FOOTBALL game" not simply that was a great game; what in the heck were they supposed to be playing, badminton?

Do you ever hear a baseball coach say that their opponent is or was a good "BASEBALL" team? Or just that they are/were a good team? You won't but you will always hear "Football" used as a redundant word.

"He is a very good "Football" player" .......... the examples are endless.

Broadcasters do it too.

In the spirit of "Bob" from The Bob Newhart Show, it would make for a good drinking game.

Did Urban discuss having your cell phone scrubbed in order to cover-up domestic abuse?

Who cares if I could have him coach my team and win a Natty or two I would do it in a instant as would everyone else.

I agree with the "Let's Go" statement. Maybe not a "sports term", it's yelled out by virtually everyone. I can't recall this 20, 30 years ago...it's somehow morphed it's way into every age, every sport. I do cringe when I constantly hear it, and I don't know why. I know most athletes probably say it without even knowing it now. But yes, there's got to be other things we could be yelling?

Last edited:
Reactions: colin2229
Who cares if I could have him coach my team and win a Natty or two I would do it in a instant as would everyone else.

We will never know the full truth. It's my opinion that he was trying to help a young couple out and be a father figure.

If he really did something drastically wrong, I can't imagine OSU would have brought him back. Fox Sports wouldn't have hired him. And the Jags wouldn't have made him the HC. All of these groups must have spent a pretty penny researching these claims and felt fine hiring him.

The days of turning a blind eye to these things and putting them under the rug are gone.

Reactions: Gene K.
We will never know the full truth. It's my opinion that he was trying to help a young couple out and be a father figure.

If he really did something drastically wrong, I can't imagine OSU would have brought him back. Fox Sports wouldn't have hired him. And the Jags wouldn't have made him the HC. All of these groups must have spent a pretty penny researching these claims and felt fine hiring him.

The days of turning a blind eye to these things and putting them under the rug are gone.

Everyone is all high and mighty on these issues until its their team, hell this board was thrilled in 2016 when the Cubs traded for a guy coming off suspension for beating his wife since he was the missing piece to a World Series.

Reactions: colin2229
He wins games. There’s no arguing that point.
I’m just not ready to hear a lecture about culture from a coach who’s players (including Aaron Hernandez) were arrested 31 times in 6 seasons while at Florida.
There are better examples.

Read his book. Don't always believe what you hear on the news.

Story from his book:
After Michael Thomas's sophomore year at OSU, Meyer met with him and his dad. Thomas was their best WR and Meyer met to tell them he was going to redshirt Thomas next season bc he felt Thomas wasn't playing to his full potential and was wasting away his career and future. Thomas redshirted the next season which he attributed to a change in his attitude and career. He is now one of the top 5 WR's in the league.

You like him. That’s your choice.
I think he’s a scum bag.
No worries.
I don’t believe the 31 arrests are fake news though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT