ADVERTISEMENT

Oswego

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
Hey NNFan, really sorry you had this one pegged. Was looking forward to hitting Lou Malnati’s over there next Saturday.

What can you tell me about Oswego?

Hey NNFan, really sorry you had this one pegged. Was looking forward to hitting Lou Malnati’s over there next Saturday.

Mind if I jump in? Oswego's o line is very big and strong (not fat). They like to ground and pound with a thunder and lightning attack. The thunder (Coleman?) does the most damage. He's a huge, strong kid. I'm not too impressed with their passing game and the QB isn't a dual threat.
Their D is solid but can be run on, just not around their 300 lb DT Shannon. Their DBs are small especially the safety.
My take is this is a bad matchup for the hitters especially at Duchon. I think they'll be able to run some but the field will neutralize Cox's quickness and home run ability. QB will have to take advantage of mismatches in size with Pierce and Graf vs Oswego's DBs. GWs offense will need to sustain drives to keep their D from being ground down.

Mind if I jump in? Oswego's o line is very big and strong (not fat). They like to ground and pound with a thunder and lightning attack. The thunder (Coleman?) does the most damage. He's a huge, strong kid. I'm not too impressed with their passing game and the QB isn't a dual threat.
Their D is solid but can be run on, just not around their 300 lb DT Shannon. Their DBs are small especially the safety.
My take is this is a bad matchup for the hitters especially at Duchon. I think they'll be able to run some but the field will neutralize Cox's quickness and home run ability. QB will have to take advantage of mismatches in size with Pierce and Graf vs Oswego's DBs. GWs offense will need to sustain drives to keep their D from being ground down.

They almost sound like HC from years past. When you say thunder and lightning, I’m guessing Coleman is a fullback and lightning is a tailback. Do they run a pro set? QB under the center and passing game runs off play action?

While I agree that a wet Duchon does neutralize some of GW’s speed, we are seeing Cox learning how to keep his feet under him while maintaining his explosiveness. Agree carpet is more friendly but i see Cox developing significantly on grass since Week 1.

Looks like they have different formations in the backfield including pro set, offset I and some shotgun with a sidecar. Coleman is 6'2" 220 and runs like it. He is not an every down kind of back. At least that is not the way they use him. It seems like he shares the load with two other backs. 3rd and manageable = run twice. 3rd and long = shotgun.
Cox is doing great. He's much more dangerous on carpet though. There was a screen to Cox yesterday that would've been a TD on carpet but it ended up being a modest gain. It's not his fault. A soft Duchon field is bad for a speed and mobile linemen dependent scheme like GW.
On the positive for GW, Dre Thomas is a really good back and Graf looks like he's ready to capitalize on all the attention given to Pierce.

Oswego was a bad match up for north. North didn’t have much success running the ball all year and one of their RBs was out for this game. But even so - for Oswego to hold North to 14 points - wow their passing D and ability to pressure the QB must be impressive. North was an offensive passing juggernaut except against Glenbard North. Even the other games they lost (NV and WV) they put up 28 to 35 points mostly thru the air. It’s just their defense couldn’t stop anyone.

I haven't seen any of Oswego but I'm inclined to agree with Oddball's thought that GW doesn't match up well, at least defensively. GW's defense struggled a bit with HC's power package/wildcat (for what it's worth the drive I have in mind was before the rain came down). So given what I've heard about Oswego it's not crazy to think GW might struggle a bit against another power running game. That being said, the darkside defense is usually playing at its peak potential by the postseason and I don't think Oswego is gonna be given anything easy. It should be a battle. I'm stoked. Can't say much about GW offense v Oswego defense, anyone have particular thoughts about that side of the match up?

Cox is doing great. He's much more dangerous on carpet though. There was a screen to Cox yesterday that would've been a TD on carpet but it ended up being a modest gain. It's not his fault. A soft Duchon field is bad for a speed and mobile linemen dependent scheme like GW.
On the positive for GW, Dre Thomas is a really good back and Graf looks like he's ready to capitalize on all the attention given to Pierce.

There was one play in particular yesterday that impressed me by Cox. That TD run from around 40 yards (sorry I haven’t looked at boxscore) was a nice hole, yes, but his acceleration through that daylight creating separation from a speedy defense was hugely impressive. I agree he makes multi-jab cutbacks on carpet as well as anyone in the state, but he is learning how get his North/South jets lit now like I hadn’t seen earlier.

Don’t want to talk about Dre Thomas. Let’s just ignore that guy like so many teams seem to be doing. He is just so sneaky at running alongside kids acting like he doesn’t have the ball. In my head, he is talking to the defense the whole way down the field convincing them he is not carrying the ball. The kid is money and I have no idea why that kid is not getting offers. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.8 40 also but there is something to be said about being about smart runners.

capnbill,

How are West's Olinemen coming along? Who is your best lineman? Any juniors starting?

The two best are seniors but the juniors are coming along. If you are talking about run blocking the kids are road pavers. I think there is a bit of a struggle in pass protection which needs a little tightening of the screws if they want to make a deep run. Problem, if you can call it that, is that no one has forced them to pass.

The right guys are in charge of the work, so I have a high degree of confidence.

There was one play in particular yesterday that impressed me by Cox. That TD run from around 40 yards (sorry I haven’t looked at boxscore) was a nice hole, yes, but his acceleration through that daylight creating separation from a speedy defense was hugely impressive. I agree he makes multi-jab cutbacks on carpet as well as anyone in the state, but he is learning how get his North/South jets lit now like I hadn’t seen earlier.

Don’t want to talk about Dre Thomas. Let’s just ignore that guy like so many teams seem to be doing. He is just so sneaky at running alongside kids acting like he doesn’t have the ball. In my head, he is talking to the defense the whole way down the field convincing them he is not carrying the ball. The kid is money and I have no idea why that kid is not getting offers. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.8 40 also but there is something to be said about being about smart runners.
His yards after contact is excellent and he always falls forward. Always. For a power runner he's elusive and in the midst of all that contact, he protects the ball extremely well. The kid is smart and talented.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Having seen Oswego play three times this year and GW once... I'd be shocked if GW doesn't beat them handedly

Having seen Oswego play three times this year and GW once... I'd be shocked if GW doesn't beat them handedly

But the runner is a B1G level bruiser, no? It they are pounding that dude 30 times, it's gonna be tough sledding.

Usually, we benefit from the fact that our opponents don't wear the right cleats or don't know how to keep their feet under them when running on a loose toupee'. After reading Edgy's "Tractor Pull" comment, I assume that Oswego is used to a sloppy track.

But the runner is a B1G level bruiser, no? It they are pounding that dude 30 times, it's gonna be tough sledding.

Usually, we benefit from the fact that our opponents don't wear the right cleats or don't know how to keep their feet under them when running on a loose toupee'. After reading Edgy's "Tractor Pull" comment, I assume that Oswego is used to a sloppy track.
Oswego had the 7th highest scoring game of any opponent that played NN this year. I would worry more about their defense.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

Oswego rushed for 70 yards as a team against PN. Oswego hasn’t played a good defense since PN and Oswego East.

Oswego had the 7th highest scoring game of any opponent that played NN this year. I would worry more about their defense.

Great point! Tell me about their defense. I suspect part of their defensive success is supported by the long, soul crushing drives with lots of runs. But how did they hold NN to 14 points? Was it lots of blitzes? Did the wind create havoc on the NN passing game? Is Oswego's d line effective at stopping the run?

Great point! Tell me about their defense. I suspect part of their defensive success is supported by the long, soul crushing drives with lots of runs. But how did they hold NN to 14 points? Was it lots of blitzes? Did the wind create havoc on the NN passing game? Is Oswego's d line effective at stopping the run?
Good questions. Where is NN Fan when you need him?

If this game is played on a neutral site with turf (very good possibility), will it make a big difference?

Yeah - only 28 on NN does not make me think Oswego is an offensive Juggernaut by any stretch BUT on the OTHER SIDE - holding NN to only 14 points - wow. I believe that is their second lowest point output this season out of 10 games.

Reactions: FalconPadre

Yeah - only 28 on NN does not make me think Oswego is an offensive Juggernaut by any stretch BUT on the OTHER SIDE - holding NN to only 14 points - wow. I believe that is their second lowest point output this season out of 10 games.

Trib said NN made three stops on downs inside their own 30 and I think there were some turnovers. Would love to see this game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT