ADVERTISEMENT

Opting out

gen22

Nov 14, 2012
I was wondering if anyone thinks kids will opt out because of the limitations put on fan attendance. I mean part of the joy of playing high school sports is the student sections and other fans. If a kid knows he is 2nd or third string what incentive does the kid have to play. Especially for the kids who aren’t going to play in college. This isn’t the nfl where players are getting paid. Are kids really going to be eager to sacrifice their bodies to play in a empty stadium. I just think you are going to lose the kids on the borderline especially freshmen. Maybe I’m wrong but I would like to hear what other people think

Did talk to an AD today who said some seniors have just mentally moved on and aren’t playing spring football.

To be a honest, not every HS football player lives football. Would imagine spring numbers won’t be what they would have been w a fall season.

Reactions: USD24 and corey90
Did talk to an AD today who said some seniors have just mentally moved on and aren’t playing spring football.

To be a honest, not every HS football player lives football. Would imagine spring numbers won’t be what they would have been w a fall season.
We could probably list 10 reasons why, but obviously the numbers will be lower than a typical fall season. Any one reason might not be a lot of kids, but add them all up, and who knows.
1. Seniors that have "moved on"
2. Multi-sport athletes where football isn't #1 and they don't want to deal with the overlap.
3. Parents that don't think it's safe to play (not looking to argue about this being true or not, but this group is probably larger than we think)
4. No fan attendance
5. Spring break plans

I have not heard of this at all. I’ve never seen kids more excited for their seasons.

I have not heard of this at all. I’ve never seen kids more excited for their seasons.

Just relaying what he said. I’m sure 95% of
Kids can’t wait to play but there are a select few who have moved on.

I can see kids dropping football. It makes to much sense for the rosters to be down.
Many teams realistically play 30-35 players. 22 starters and then special teams some 2nd team only if it’s a blowout. I see kids that know they won’t see any playing time opt out of sports especially since they won’t have fans at the games. It wouldn’t surprise me if some rosters are down 40-50%.

I can see kids dropping football. It makes to much sense for the rosters to be down.
Many teams realistically play 30-35 players. 22 starters and then special teams some 2nd team only if it’s a blowout. I see kids that know they won’t see any playing time opt out of sports especially since they won’t have fans at the games. It wouldn’t surprise me if some rosters are down 40-50%.
LWE will be at 110 instead of 140 😀

You might be on to something. If your not a starter and are in it for the crowds then why go out for football? I can see fewer kids out since whats the point in running out on the field when there is few or no students in the stands.

You might be on to something. If your not a starter and are in it for the crowds then why go out for football? I can see fewer kids out since whats the point in running out on the field when there is few or no students in the stands.
Or no girls to impress LOL?

My path was different but I mailed it in after football senior year ... I did not make many Mondays on time, early dismissal for work too ... I had the credits to graduate except religion, knew where I was going in August.

But to play six more games in pads- where I felt dangerous and indestructible -hell yeah I’d have done it, one last Time baby!

My path was different but I mailed it in after football senior year ... I did not make many Mondays on time, early dismissal for work too ... I had the credits to graduate except religion, knew where I was going in August.

But to play six more games in pads- where I felt dangerous and indestructible -hell yeah I’d have done it, one last Time baby!

That’s because you played. Half the kids on a team never play.

As much as I love HS football, spring football? Don't get me wrong, it's great for the kids that want/get to play, happy for them, but not that interested.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
As much as I love HS football, spring football? Don't get me wrong, it's great for the kids that want/get to play, happy for them, but not that interested.

I am fearing many kids wont be interested either. Especially lower level kids.

I’m torn. Like you say it’s great for the kids that want to play but I’m not feeling the excitement of that quest for the state title. At this point it really seems like it’s for the love of the game and many getting the chance to strap on the helmet a few more times. Not having the ability to watch will also affect interest.

I’m torn. Like you say it’s great for the kids that want to play but I’m not feeling the excitement of that quest for the state title. At this point it really seems like it’s for the love of the game and many getting the chance for many to strap on the helmet a few more times. Not having the ability to watch will also affect interest.
As a positive, hopefully the kids that have been struggling for playing time the previous 3 seasons will get to see more snaps

As a positive, hopefully the kids that have been struggling for playing time the previous 3 seasons will get to see more snaps
[/QUOTE
Here's a question along those lines, and I have zero skin in any game here and am just using Antioch as an example because I know their senior qb is highly regarded and that according to the University of Minnesota, he is not an early enrollee on campus:
Q) With no playoffs to qualify for or a state title to try and win, and a college scholarship already safely signed sealed and delivered for the senior QB, I wonder if the motivation of the Antioch coach will be to give snaps to a current sophomore or junior QB in order to get the kid more ready for the fall season? Really, wins/losses this spring aren't the end-all.
Personally, I envision the feeling of spring games being similar to watching high school summer league basketball action at Stevenson. I have seen games there, and the kids are wearing school uniforms and representing their school, there are a handful of fans, and the kids are playing to win, but there's no consequence for losing, or winning for that matter.
If you watched the end of the Bulls vs. Blazers NBA game on Saturday, you saw how the Chicago players reacted when the miracle three-point shot went in at the buzzer to beat them. In a summer high school basketball game, that same play could occur, but the feelings won't be the same because losing the game in the big picture doesn't matter.
That's what I think spring ball is going to be like.
I also worry that there are schools, and I am going to use Warren here just because they were second in state last year and football is big at that school ... anyway I worry that Warren is going to get a lot of players out this spring (I have read several posts suggesting they are loaded with transfers, although it's not clear if those kids were seniors last fall or underclassmen), and while Warren is loaded, the schools they are playing have found that interest in spring football is waning.
Games that Warren would ordinarily win 35-7 might become 49-0 games at halftime because the opponents are short-handed compared to what they would be in the fall.
I haven't been able to wrap my arms around the section on this forum about which teams are most impacted by Covid/spring football? How does anyone know until practice starts and we see how many kids are out there, and which kids are out there?
I am not picking on Warren or the North Suburban Conference. But reality is, Mundelein is a basketball power and not a football power. Zion-Benton is a basketball power and not a football power. Waukegan is a basketball power and not a football power. Kids who play both sports during a normal school year, well, we'll have to see who winds up where.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT