ADVERTISEMENT

One last ride for a great guy St. Rita HC Todd Kuska

RockSoup

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2009
Coach Kuska let all the St. Rita levels know that this year will be his last year as Head Coach of the St. Rita Mustangs.

He told the players that he is still staying at St. Rita and teaching and will help out with the football program.

Just one of the best in my eyes. St. Rita has stayed a fixture in the State Football discussion year after year for 53 years led by 3 men, Pat Cronin, Todd Wernet and the last 25 years Coach Kuska. And man, he rebuilt the program in the late 90s when people first started to write St. Rita off, closed a Grand Canyon sized gap between Mount Carmel and the Mustangs, won 70% of his games, 3 state final appearances, one State Championship. Dealing with admin missteps, smaller, closing Catholic feeders, ultra-competitive conferences, non-cons, just lucky to have him at the helm for as long as he stayed.

I don’t know who’s up next but like I said before in addressing any coaching rumors in the other legacy schools is that I never worried about succession at a MC or BR or SR because the communities are so big and care a lot about football that a great successor will be mentioned probably sooner rather than later.

But for now, man oh man, 100th meeting, week one, Coach Kuska’s final SR/MC battle, wow, wow, wow. @McCaravan If the MC fathers club sees an overweight bearded guy trying to strap on the pads and take the field one last time, just tell them it’s me and don’t worry I’ll be gassed or injured by the second series.

Thank you Coach Kuska for always representing those that played in the program, that follow the program, and who love the program with class and excellence.

Coach Kuska let all the St. Rita levels know that this year will be his last year as Head Coach of the St. Rita Mustangs.

He told the players that he is still staying at St. Rita and teaching and will help out with the football program.

Just one of the best in my eyes. St. Rita has stayed a fixture in the State Football discussion year after year for 53 years led by 3 men, Pat Cronin, Todd Wernet and the last 25 years Coach Kuska. And man, he rebuilt the program in the late 90s when people first started to write St. Rita off, closed a Grand Canyon sized gap between Mount Carmel and the Mustangs, won 70% of his games, 3 state final appearances, one State Championship. Dealing with admin missteps, smaller, closing Catholic feeders, ultra-competitive conferences, non-cons, just lucky to have him at the helm for as long as he stayed.

I don’t know who’s up next but like I said before in addressing any coaching rumors in the other legacy schools is that I never worried about succession at a MC or BR or SR because the communities are so big and care a lot about football that a great successor will be mentioned probably sooner rather than later.

But for now, man oh man, 100th meeting, week one, Coach Kuska’s final SR/MC battle, wow, wow, wow. @McCaravan If the MC fathers club sees an overweight bearded guy trying to strap on the pads and take the field one last time, just tell them it’s me and don’t worry I’ll be gassed or injured by the second series.

Thank you Coach Kuska for always representing those that played in the program, that follow the program, and who love the program with class and excellence.
Congrats to Coach Kuska. Always a class act, always competes at the highest level. St Rita will have some big shoes to fill.

Best wishes to Coach! Always held him in high regards. 25 years of coaching in the CCL, dealing with thousands of parents and managing theirs and the players expectations, dealing with the media, and then the fans “expert” opinions...God Bless him! Like working 50 years in a normal job!

I wish this wasn't the case at all. I appreciate everything Todd has done for the program, and it will definitely be very hard to fill his shoes. Great guy and a class act all around!

I hope the Admin can find someone as good as Coach Kuska, and I am happy he will be staying with the school and program. And I hope he will be involved in the decision on whom that may be.

I hope he can get out and golf more--his summers for golf were always limited, obviously. Straight driver of the ball, that I can tell you. Plays with integrity as only in his nature.

Are there any odds at the firehouses on whom is successor will be? Or do we have to wait until after Sunday mass?

I wish this wasn't the case at all. I appreciate everything Todd has done for the program, and it will definitely be very hard to fill his shoes. Great guy and a class act all around!

I hope the Admin can find someone as good as Coach Kuska, and I am happy he will be staying with the school and program. And I hope he will be involved in the decision on whom that may be.

I hope he can get out and golf more--his summers for golf were always limited, obviously. Straight driver of the ball, that I can tell you. Plays with integrity as only in his nature.

Are there any odds at the firehouses on whom is successor will be? Or do we have to wait until after Sunday mass?
I know he’s the baseball coach but would Nee prefer the gridiron to the diamond? He’s a known and respected Ritaman....

Love Coach Nee. I’m pretty sure your question is being asked by the decision makers. In my opinion he has earned the right to be on any shortlist
John Nee is an absolute Prince of a man! Intelligent , friendly and well respected Ritaman who filled enormous shoes following the retirement of legendary coach Mike Zunica. Extremely loyal to the St. Rita community and an alumnus. If this is what John wants it’s a no brainer IMO. St. Rita is very lucky to have people like John who give up a ton to fulfill a passion to an institution he loves.

Ambulance ride after the first play.

This coming from a public guy. Coach Kuska sets an example for all programs. He is a class act who clearly understands the game his players and his competition. If you play Rita you know your in a game. Coach has his players fully ready for battle. He also knows his community and is well aware of how important it is to get them involved. I can’t say enough about what a great coach he is and has been for St. Rita!

Great job coach I know your going to be missed on the sidelines.

This coming from a public guy. Coach Kuska sets an example for all programs. He is a class act who clearly understands the game his players and his competition. If you play Rita you know your in a game. Coach has his players fully ready for battle. He also knows his community and is well aware of how important it is to get them involved. I can’t say enough about what a great coach he is and has been for St. Rita!

Great point @corey90 and one I could have added up top. Even in the handful of down years, the players he coached hit, hit and kept hittin like having microphones in the shoulder pads watching those games.

I hope not.
Almost makes me like him more.

Figure he’s dealt with a number of parents in the low thousands (1000 to 3000) and has had to disappoint some doesn’t surprise anyone reading a HS sports site.

So he’s made tough calls, he’s loved by many that have worn the red, white and blue, and liked and respected by his colleagues throughout the conference and state is still a pretty solid resume.

Reactions: Gene K.

Will an outsider even be considered? Times are changing amongst the privates, football is a big draw at them + the staff makeup. Coach TK should be involved in process, hoping a successor isn't necessarily an extension of him but someone who knows the landscape and hold the fort down for some years. Start with alums: Gallik, the gentleman who attended Iowa, Bruce Gaston, Darius Fleming if interested or maybe they join a staff.

Reactions: crusaderpride
Will an outsider even be considered? Times are changing amongst the privates, football is a big draw at them + the staff makeup. Coach TK should be involved in process, hoping a successor isn't necessarily an extension of him but someone who knows the landscape and hold the fort down for some years. Start with alums: Gallik, the gentleman who attended Iowa, Bruce Gaston, Darius Fleming if interested or maybe they join a staff.
Darius Fleming would be a huge boost

Someone from the existing staff or a former Alumni is my best guess, and probably the obvious one as well.

Reactions: crusaderpride

Is that from just your observation of his teams play? Interview some of the Rita faithful. You might get a differing opinion. Just like Lenti.
there were those that couldn’t stand him and those who loved him

maybe you know some of the mustang family and they sing his praises as you do. Not knowing your insight allow me to apologize for my ignorance of not knowing

Reactions: forlouann
Is that from just your observation of his teams play? Interview some of the Rita faithful. You might get a differing opinion. Just like Lenti.
there were those that couldn’t stand him and those who loved him

maybe you know some of the mustang family and they sing his praises as you do. Not knowing your insight allow me to apologize for my ignorance of not knowing
Some here feel they have to post on EVERY subject. Let's stick to what we know about

Reactions: The Outfit
Some here feel they have to post on EVERY subject. Let's stick to what we know about
I didn’t wanna say it that bluntly… but an observation of a trans discipline and how they play is foolish to judge a persons character!

look at our TV evangelists… God this & God that… next thing ya got Jim Baker and Tammy Faye witg Jessica Hahn!

Reactions: forlouann
A Marty hire would be a a great addition. Solid Rita Man!
Isn't he a college coach now? A defensive guy who may need to find offensive minds. Current scheme appears outdated. All this is speculation of course. Let's kwep.this football who cares who likes who

I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true.. It’s my opinion and observation from a outsiders view being a public guy. I have watched him coach over the years and have watched his teams. It’s would be hard to argue his success. I said his teams will fight hard in every game. They may not win every game but his players will hit hard on every play. You guys may have a personal axe to grind but their is no mistaken he is a good coach.

I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true.. It’s my opinion and observation from a outsiders view being a public guy. I have watched him coach over the years and have watched his teams. It’s would be hard to argue his success. I said his teams will fight hard in every game. They may not win every game but his players will hit hard on every play. You guys may have a personal axe to grind but their is no mistaken he is a good coach.
No ax to grind. Your judgement is on how hard his teams play. He should be canonized for the championship he did win!

I didn’t wanna say it that bluntly… but an observation of a trans discipline and how they play is foolish to judge a persons character!

look at our TV evangelists… God this & God that… next thing ya got Jim Baker and Tammy Faye witg Jessica Hahn!
No ax to grind. Your judgement is on how hard his teams play. He should be canonized for the championship he did win!
That I can’t and won’t argue.

I was in 115 Bourbon Street yesterday watching the Da Bears game. Would have lost my shirt if I had bet on the game. I might have been the only non Catholic league guy there.

Seems all the SR alumni want Hopkins to be the coach - a SR guy but not on the current staff. Short list of three has already interviewed. Hopkins is asking for same money as the BR hire which is less than the MC coach is making. The guys on Sunday are hoping the school doesn't go cheap on the hire.

MC guys were taking a about renting a room at Bourbon Street to watch the LA game week 9. If both teams are 8-0 going into that game it would be a great draw if Soldier Field had Field Turf.

Last edited:
I was in 115 Bourbon Street yesterday watching the Da Bears game. Would have lost my shirt if I had bet on the game. I might have been the only non Catholic league guy there.

Seems all the SR alumni want Hopkins to be the coach - a SR guy but not on the current staff. Short list of three has already interviewed. Hopkins is asking for same money as the BR hire which is less than the MC coach is making. The guys on Sunday are hoping the school doesn't go cheap on the hire.

MC guys were taking a about renting a room at Bourbon Street to watch the LA game week 9. If both teams are 8-0 going into that game it would be a great draw if Soldier Field had Field Turf.
Would be nice to hear some of the names being floated out there minus Hopkins who appears to be front runner based on your post. Real question for whomever the hire will be is ......will there be more of the same or change (new diverse staff, O & D schemes, recruitment plans, etc). Would also like to know how many applicants.

Although he did not apply for the Tony Simmons would be a interesting hire. His Wikipedia page is very diverse. Known as "Touchdown Tony" at the University of Wisconsin he had been the 1993 Chicago Sun-Times Prep Athlete of the Year for his participation in both football and track. He played five years in the NFL.

Reactions: RockSoup

This is a great test for the new administration. Money is not the issue. Returning boxing night, pays for whatever difference in money there is. The resolve to stand up to the ones in or near the administration that criticize or disallow any allocation of money to the engines that actually move interest in South Side Secondary Catholic education is the actual issue.

Sorry, I don’t make the rules, you may not like the rules but if the diocese wants to keep testing in Dec and even Jan; Football is the easiest marketing arm that pays for itself. And fun, interesting football just doesnt bring in athletes, it attracts all types of students.

Two schools that can be football agnostic are Marist and Iggy. You can try to market yourself as the next Iggy but to change to that perception that may or may not even work to get tuition-paying students would take 6 figures to a million dollars in branding advertising.

Or like Marist needed to do to keep the doors open, go co-ed but did it with Tyree-type money. So another multi-million dollar solution (bathrooms, facilities etc) that may or may not work in St. Rita’s reality.

So actually the cheapest alternative to getting 200 to test and 150 to enroll is to keep September to December as rocking and non-controversial as you can.

Whether those non sports believers want to admit it or not, the decision (10k to 100k whatever the difference is, still close to a boxing night profit) is a no brainer. We’ll work on their other 7 figure stuff after you stand up to them on the easy 5 figure decisions.

It’s almost a blessing for MC that a well-heeled bloc of supporters wanted to replace a legend and knew they had to hire the best candidate not the cheapest candidate.

Last edited:
Although he did not apply for the Tony Simmons would be a interesting hire. His Wikipedia page is very diverse. Known as "Touchdown Tony" at the University of Wisconsin he had been the 1993 Chicago Sun-Times Prep Athlete of the Year for his participation in both football and track. He played five years in the NFL.

How you know he didn't apply? What does the candidate pool look like?

I’m assuming a decision will be made very soon, definitely before the exam for recruiting reasons.
Yes, I assume the same. I don’t want to think this thread goes into October. I expect a new thread before October with 1/4 good reactions, 1/4 bad reactions, 1/4 meh reactions and 1/4 way over the top either way reactions.

But I’m not privy to any of it. I said my peace about it in my last post. I think security has a picture of a rock and a soup can and is tasked with keeping me away.😂

ST. RITA HIGH SCHOOL ANNOUNCES​

NEW HEAD FOOTBALL COACH​

MARTIN HOPKINS '09​

Deacon John Donahue, J.D., Ed.D., President of St Rita of Cascia High School announced that Martin T. Hopkins has been named the new Head Football Coach. Hopkins will come on board at St. Rita as Director of Strategic Development, and will assume his new duties as Head Football Coach at the end of the current season and the retirement of Todd Kuska, who has served 25 years in that role. Hopkins is a 2009 graduate of St. Rita and played football for Coach Kuska. “I am excited about the future of our football program knowing that Coach Kuska’s legacy will be continued by one of his very own players”, said Donahue.

Martin Hopkins has extensive coaching experience at the Division I collegiate level. He is a graduate of the University of Iowa where he received both his undergraduate and graduate degrees. Martin was a student athlete playing football at Iowa until an injury forced his transition into coaching and analyzing for Iowa Football. Hopkins brings nine years of high level coaching experience with him to St. Rita. During his tenure at Iowa, he served as a coach for Defense, Offense, and Special Teams. Athletic Director, Curtis Price '88 said, “The St. Rita football program will be in great hands with the selection of Martin. I look forward to working with him as we form our student-athletes in the Augustinian tradition.”

“I am beyond honored and thankful to be chosen as the next St. Rita Head Football Coach and to carry on the strong tradition of St. Rita High School and St. Rita Football. It is my privilege to follow in the footsteps of a Hall of Fame coach in Coach Kuska, and also the great coaches before him like Coach Wernet, Coach Cronin, and Coach Buckley. Thank you to my wife, family, friends, and coaches who have molded me into the man I am today. And thank you to St. Rita for making this dream a reality. It feels great to be home, Go Mustangs!” Hopkins said.

Hopkins, 31, is a native of Beverly, a graduate of St. Cajetan, St. Rita Student Body President class of 2009, and a member of the St. Rita 2007 Prep-Bowl Championship and 2006 State Championship teams. Married to Elizabeth Hopkins (Sweeney) - Mother McAuley '09. Son of the late Tom Hopkins - Honorary St. Rita Alumnus and Margie Hopkins - Current St. Rita Registrar & Receptionist. Brother of Tommy Hopkins '07, Liam Hopkins '11, and Anne McIntyre (Hopkins) - Mother McAuley '13/Current Head Varsity Girls Lacrosse Coach.​

Congratulations....all eyes will be on the staff he decides bring in or let go. Staff definitely needs a youth shot, diversity, & creativity. Hopkins is an excellent hire for the alumni base, but will the hire move the needle to keep kids from the rivals and to St. Rita?

Reactions: chakazulu89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT