ADVERTISEMENT

On Side Kick Alternative

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
Ok I thought I just heard there is a alternative for a team rather than the on side kick.

Instead a team can take the ball on the 25 yard line but it would be 4th and 15.

Saw this on WGN news but just woke up so not sure I got all this right.

Anyone else hear about it.

From NFL.com:

The other intriguing proposal involves providing an alternative to the onside kick, which has largely faded out of the game since changes were made prior to the 2018 season that prohibited kickoff teams from getting a running start. That change was made for safety reasons, but it also made it nearly impossible to successfully execute an onside kick. In the last two seasons, just 10.4 percent of onside kicks were recovered.

There is now some momentum for a proposal from the Philadelphia Eagles -- which has in the past been sniffed at by some as too gimmicky -- which would allow the team that is trailing in the game a way to maintain possession after scoring by successfully converting a fourth-and-15 play from its own 25-yard line. That could be done a maximum of twice per game.

That’s goofy. While I’m not a huge fan of the onside kick it’s neat to see when done right, although it’s a random success. Placing the ball automatically just cheapens the game. It would be a higher success rate too. Do we need more scoring opportunities?

That’s goofy. While I’m not a huge fan of the onside kick it’s neat to see when done right, although it’s a random success. Placing the ball automatically just cheapens the game. It would be a higher success rate too. Do we need more scoring opportunities?
You do if you're losing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT