ADVERTISEMENT

Ok let's hear it....thoughts on the IHSA TV production

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Ok let's here it. Thoughts good/bad or indifferent on the IHSA Football State Final TV coverage and production? Trust me your thoughts, idea and input is needed and is listened to more than you might think....fire away and I'll try to answer any Q's that I can

I thought the coverage was good. It was a little weird when I stepped away after the 6A game on 200 and didn't understand why I was watching Bears coverage only to realize the 7A game switched over to 201. Good thing I'm already a Country Financial customer or I wouldn't consider them due to 2 days of commercial overload. Irrelevant though. Good job overall though.

I, too, thought it was good. I even thought Hub was good. Of course, I remember the days of horrible broadcast reception for the title games on some rinky dink UHF station, so just about anything beats that.

I also remember the days, Mr. Tim, when you weren't even granted a press pass to the title games by the IHSA because online publishers like you weren't considered broadcast or print media. You've come a long way since then. Great job this past weekend.

Reactions: Wolffan64 and HRCJR
Wish I could tell you but I pay for a service that evidently no longer gives me access after the fact.

The good:
I thought it was very good.
Solid coverage
Good camera work for the most part.
LOVED the “look back” time fillers with the highlights of past top games. Hell even more of that would be fantastic. What does soccer call it? 90 in 30? Where you see all the relevant plays from start to finish of the game?
Edgy - you looked very dapper but I miss the baseball cap. Maybe one game you break it out with the suit?

A couple of small recommendations.

1. It was a little disconcerting when they made the channel switch (I have Comcast 200 to 201) but I was able to figure it out with plenty of time.
2. The sales folks need to add a few more accounts to diversify the commercial base. The countrywide one was mentioned. Maybe even some regional ones with local businesses in some of the local markets where teams are playing in the big game?
3 are they using high Def cameras? I have a hi Def channel of NBC/CSN - but the picture did not look as good as some of the other broadcasts (ESPN 173 etc).

All in all great stuff and great games!

Last edited:
My wife thought the very knowledgeable guy on the broadcasts was very attractive, not to mention tall and thin.

Not ass kissing, but after the games, felt like it rushed to highlights of a past great game and didn’t get thoughts from Siera, Edgy, & Camron to recap. Did I miss it?
You guys were there for a reason and felt you guys were underutilized.

Last edited:
It’s leaps and bounds better than in years past. Really liked the flashback of years gone by. That was a nice add on. I could take a lot more of Dave in the booth and a lot less of everyone else.

Liked the broadcast. Hub not so much, he comes across as condescending and arrogant. He sounded like he felt he was above high school football. Spent most of the time ripping high school kids as if they were in the NFL.

Overall though, very well done.

I thought the coverage was very good for high school football. My DirecTv signal was hi def. One thing I didn't like, as in years past, was when showing replays the first second or two of the next play was cut off. We should have time to look at the formation before the play and of course the entire play.

Not a fan of Siera Santos. Seems like she’s not having fun there. Any chance Sarah Kustok leaves her job with the Nets and comes back to do the ihsa playoffs?

Overall product "very good" across the 2 days. More specifically:
  • flashbacks really a great idea with a shelf life of a season or two more
  • Hub is an outsider to the HS game and it shows
  • some between-play video content caused late starts of next snap
  • Siera Santos was painfully misplaced in her role with Edgy. I'm sorry - that just can not be sugar-coated.

How about Trish Christakes? I met her this summer and she was excited to be covering HS football. I don't have a very good cross section of her work though. She is a CG grad and is working the Peoria area.

Liked the broadcast. Hub not so much, he comes across as condescending and arrogant. He sounded like he felt he was above high school football. Spent most of the time ripping high school kids as if they were in the NFL.

Overall though, very well done.

Agree 100%!!! Posted same thoughts yesterday. Edgy should be considered the future analyst!

I think it wouldn't be bad to somehow incorporate the local writers who cover the teams that are in the state championship. Whether it is pre, post, or half time. Kind of like the selection show. I love Joe Stevenson from the NW Herald and that's no offense to anyone else, I just really like him and thought he would have been perfect for the 6a game to talk about PR. Also many of those local guys know the team so well that the average viewer can learn a little more about each respective team. Either way I was happy with the production.

Reactions: MR. "T"
Also LOVED the highlights of great state games in the past between games! It was great to see the 97 Woodstock State Champs on there and seeing Coach Brucker in his youth! I have watched the entire game on youtube before and it was just nice to see the highlights again

Reactions: MR. "T"
I already discussed the lack of SD broadcast when "Plus" took over. I hope that the IHSA will consider this next year.

I have HD service and equipment, but I know some folks who simply can't afford anything above a lower level package.

Tim, again, thanks for all you do for Illinois prep football. You're irreplaceable!

I thought it was well done for the most part. Santos was the weak link. I agree with the poster who called for the return of Sarah Kustok, but we know that's not happening. I'd like to see some coverage of the post game press conference. FYI...my family is all transferring to Northern Iowa.

Could Sierra be talked into doing her part topless? I think it would improve the overall quality of the broadcast. If that sounds sexist, maybe the guy she was talking to would also go topless. Although, I'm not sure the broadcast quality would be improved.

That's a lot worse than sexist. Extremely ignorant.

Edgy pulled off the pink with style!

Santos sucked ...seemed disinterested.

Hub was not good. As stated in another thread, he said (paraphrasing), "You should only criticize college and pros ... but that kid (by name) got the alligator arms - the short arms on that pass, he knew he was going to get hit."

Ummm ... didn't you just say you should not bash the kid? Not that his observation was unwarranted, he just did not think his statement through.Not knowing the kick off rules was something else.

RE: Kicking to Sampson, Racki had a great halftime quote about NAZ doing many good things ... except kicking to Sampson.

Reactions: USD24
I don't like the announcers, sorry. I recall an analyst doing the MC/GBN game a few years ago, he was great, not so much the guys now. I actually muted the sound several times. Siera is no Sarah, but then who is? Production wise, I thought it was very well done. Drop Hub, he knows Chicago pro sports but not HS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT