ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: Greatest American Band of All Time?

Tough....The Beach Boys took was one of the first to take America by storm....The Greatful Dead has an extremely loyal following, but many don’t care for their music (I do). But Aerosmith is my personal favorite of all time!

Eagles, Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pearl Jam

Local - Cheap Trick

Last edited:
May not be the greatest known American band but I’m a huge fan of Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Gotta like The Cars too.

I'll go with Skynyrd for songwriting and probably a controversial one as they are modern...but I think they will be heard from 50 years from now...Foo Fighters

Reactions: PowerI66
Tough....The Beach Boys took was one of the first to take America by storm....The Greatful Dead has an extremely loyal following, but many don’t care for their music (I do). But Aerosmith is my personal favorite of all time!
Tough to beat The Beach Boys for quality of music, cultural impact, and broad popularity. Pet Sounds is just on another level from all other albums.

Bob Dylan made my life worth living. And you have to include the Beatles and Rolling Stones. They took American music and made it better. Both were as good as the Beach Boys. But there are so many great bands, The world is overflowing with good music.

Last edited:
Reactions: forlouann
My #1 is Steely Dan. Their sound got so technical and complex they actually gave up touring and stuck to the studio for awhile (they're touring again though). The 'Countdown to Ecstasy' or 'Aja' albums are amazing.

Eagles would be my #1A. The 'Desperado' album is a gem.

I said Aerosmith...taking into consideration sales been around for over what 5 decades and still relevant....also love Cheap Trick and have for many years but not quite to the top tier level....
Love Cheap Trick.

I would also throw in Chicago, but, only when Terry Kath was alive. After he passed, the sound and direction changed and it just wasn't the same. I can only imagine what they would've been today if he were still around.

Tell me his guitar solo isn't beyond amazing (starts at 2:58):

Reactions: all4theillini
My number 2 just really haven't done a damn thing in along time...also the older I get the more and more I appreciate the Van Hager version. Sammy is pretty amazing
Saw VH with Hagar at the Peoria Civic Center with the 5150 tour. It was great show with a mix of both their hits. Then saw them with DL Roth about 4 years ago and he’s lost his chops but age does that. I’ve never been a Van Hagar basher. It served its purpose.

I think you have to put Metallica into the conversation, definitely as best heavy metal band even though they toned it down later in their careers.
I can't argue although I put them aside after the black album. Everything after it was trash, IMO. But the first five albums were untouchable. Hold a gun to my head and I'd go with Megadeth and probably Pantera right after.

My number 2 just really haven't done a damn thing in along time...also the older I get the more and more I appreciate the Van Hager version. Sammy is pretty amazing

I agree Sammy stepped in nicely but the early years with David Lee we’re pretty special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT