ADVERTISEMENT

O in the end this season, the ESCC was the best conference

I will say this year the best conference was too difficult to determine, and anyone on top would be the tallest midget.

Ccl is threr conferences, unless you want is to take in to account leo etc when measuring LA.

Technically the ESCC is 2 conferences, since they don't play a full slate.

So let's take the top 2 divisions. We can decide after next week if MCHS and LA or Naz and Marist. Fair?

This has always been a pet peave of mine, usually with Fenwick fans. They will pound their chest saying we are in big bad CCL, what they don't mention is that they are not in the blue. Then when the blue wants to add more members, everyone crosses their legs and wants to stay in the white/green. Can you honestly say being in the CCL blue is the same as being in the CCL green?! Taking credit for another divisions accomplishments, then refusing to be in that division always gets me frustrated. As far as I see it, the blue had a down year, and even in that down year they have at least ONE represenative.

So in percentages, the CCL-B has the same number of Representatives in the championship game. So it gets settled next Saturday at 7.

Well marist and naz are both in escc south if you want to talk about divisions

I really don't think it can be challenged either, nor did i see it coming.

I think your pronouncement is a bit premature. Let's see how you feel about it after this weekend.

Also, in hypothetical matchups pitting LA vs Naz and Montini vs Marist, who do you like?

I think your pronouncement is a bit premature. Let's see how you feel about it after this weekend.

Also, in hypothetical matchups pitting LA vs Naz and Montini vs Marist, who do you like?
Why do you always like hypothetical. LA and MCHS different conferences according to the IHSA. Unless you think Southwest Suburban red and blue are 1 conference. These are all different conferences.

Why do you always like hypothetical. LA and MCHS different conferences according to the IHSA. Unless you think Southwest Suburban red and blue are 1 conference. These are all different conferences.

Semantics.

The ESCC has as many teams in its one conference as the CCL Blue and CCL green combined.

Then you get all the terrible teams in white and red. Can't have it one way and not the other.

JCHill claims that the ESCC is the best conference this year. Best in terms of what? Most finalists? Nope. That would be the CCL. Best finalists? We'll certainly know who is best between LA and Marist this Saturday. Heck, we know that MC has already proven they can beat Marist.

That's why I was interested in the hypothetical matchups I posed earlier. I think if LA is better than Naz and Montini is better than Marist, then I think it's a stretch to say that the ESCC is best this year.

IMO, it's going to be difficult for any conference to exceed the CCL, if one considers all the divisions one conference. Here's why:

1. They are spread out over a number of classes, as you see this year. Loyola is competing in 8A, while Mac is in 3A. How many conferences (taking the long view of the CCL to include all teams) span that many classes?
2. They simply have a high number of teams in the entire conference. How many conferences have four divisions?
3. In general, they have a high number of schools where football is a top priority. Competition for talent is intense on the Southside. Those schools (Rita, MC, BR) work as hard or harder than anyone to get talent into the school. Provi is right there as well. I would include Montini to the mix as well. IMO, the only other school doing as much to bring in football talent at the moment is Naz, and possibly Marist, given their Southside location.

Last edited:
The only reason the top two divisions aren't lumped together is a lack of willingness on the part of the O4 to break things apart. If they were lumped together, it would only make sense to either play a full conference slate, which would be 9 games, or break it into two groups, which is what the ESCC should do. The conference championship was a sham this year in the ESCC, because the winner didn't have to play JCA or Naz. The schedule layout is almost identical to the CCL, in that you play teams every year and rotate a group in other years.

Short story long, the ESCC is "one" conference in spirit only, not reality.

Reactions: dtlove3434
Would be fun to see a week 1 or 2 ccl/ escc challenge

LA/ ND or CoM
MC / JCA or CoM
marist / st Rita
Naz / montini
Benet / Prov
St pats / fenwick

i like LA over Naz; I'm not 100% on the other game though. Naz's defense impressed me in the second JCA game. JCA had the ball on Naz's half of the field so often it was a joke, but Love just was a difference maker.

Then you get all the terrible teams in white and red. Can't have it one way and not the other.

I believe one of those terrible white division teams won a state championship and another team lost in the semis. It is tough to get good seeds/get 5 wins as a White Division team when you play a Blue and a Green team each year - unless you can beat some of them like BM, StL and SI did this year.

Look at all of these gracious CCLers. Gee...why did the CMC break up?

And, I'm disappointed in you, Ramblinman. Holecek wins his first state title after previous disappointments, and you can't get on here quick enough to resurrect arguments about the alleged best conference or a lame disagreement with Gooms etc. etc. Here's a thought: how about taking a minute or two to enjoy the Ramblers' accomplishment and let go of the pettiness?

Reactions: LAguy

And, I'm disappointed in you, Ramblinman. Holecek wins his first state title after previous disappointments, and you can't get on here quick enough to resurrect arguments about the alleged best conference or a lame disagreement with Gooms etc. etc. Here's a thought: how about taking a minute or two to enjoy the Ramblers' accomplishment and let go of the pettiness?
The CMC broke up because Marist and Marian wanted no part in playing LA, SR, MC, et al, on a regular basis...and from which conference was the person who started this thread (thereby resurrecting the argument)??????

Oh, I'm enjoying it just fine. You have no idea how much I am enjoying this. For the record, my very first post after the game was to Redhawkalum thanking him for his congratulations and letting him know that Marist's turn will come if they keep doing the right things.

As to the pettiness, I bit or held my tongue last week while others expressed doubts about LA or tried to claim excellence prematurely. Now that LA has won the title, in convincing fashion, and now that the CCL won 3 out of 8 titles, I'm feeling entitled to celebrate in my own way. If you find that to be a disappointment, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Loyola was the best team in the state....by far!! And we saw today how an ESCC team did against them. Add in Montini - and we have our answer = CCL!

I like pounding the chest of the CCL just as much as anyone, but for our standards it was a down year... LA was the best team but Marist did finish 6th in the ESCC. Not really a true measuring stick. (I think your Caravan only beat them by 7?) Top to bottom ESCC probably slightly beats us just this year. Have to look at what every team did.

You can't just accept the good teams in your 3 conferences. ESCC was 4-2 against all 3 ccl conferences.

You can't just accept the good teams in your 3 conferences. ESCC was 4-2 against all 3 ccl conferences.

Who'd you beat? See, those 2 losses were by the 8A South rep in weeks 1 and 14.

ESCC had the most parity of any conference, no question, but not the best football.

The CCL showed it with 3 champs. Even MC gave GW its toughest game in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT