ADVERTISEMENT

Now that all the rankings are out...

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001

Sun Times and Soucie rankings are out as well.

We can start the debating and posturing.

Minooka is severely overlooked. Teams that they beat in the playoffs are getting more love.

I don't think that there's any debate about the strength of 8A this year. Maybe the deepest preseason set of teams that can win state that I can remember.

Beast
Loyola
Swagger
Brook
Hitters
NN
NV
Marist
6 Flags
Eddie from down state
York
HC

And we haven't even discussed the defending champion Porters.

Holy cow.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I don't think that there's any debate about the strength of 8A this year. Maybe the deepest preseason set of teams that can win state that I can remember.

Beast
Loyola
Swagger
Brook
Hitters
NN
NV
Marist
6 Flags
Eddie from down state
York
HC

Holy cow.
None of those west suburban silver teams have a shot at the title. GW has struggled the last few years in the 8A playoffs. York got bounced in the first round and HC hasn’t made it past the second round in awhile.

None of those west suburban silver teams have a shot at the title. GW has struggled the last few years in the 8A playoffs. York got bounced in the first round and HC hasn’t made it past the second round in awhile.
I really don't know about those but, at this point, we really don't know about any of these teams. Who was talking about Lockport last year?

I like it that Neuqua isn't getting the love that GBW, MS, 6 Flags, or others are getting. Truth be told, they haven't earned it.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
The Minooka hype is world class caliber sandbagging. Minooka is likely a 4-5 or 5-4 team sneaking into the playoffs.
J Chill is a expert at misinformation. Degree in #fakenews.

In the article on FND they talked about how playoffs is a foregone conclusion, and the question is how far do they advance. They made some changes mid-season that resulted in them knocking off a highly rated York with one of the top QBs in state. Then unfortunately they ran into LWE in rd 2. That's an L for anyone, even the 8A champs.

Speaking of rankings (and I realize I’ll sound stupid here), when do AP rankings come out?

Maybe they should stop getting smoked in televised games for publicity and play more teams that run the triple so they can figure it out and beat CG
They beat PR in 2019. So far they are 1-1. Don't really seem like a huge issue. I will also add that ESL is willing to play anyone that is willing to play. Pick a team but, please make sure that team is willing to play. Good luck this year to whoever you support.

The experience for the kids far outweigh all things that you think are important. A state championship last for one year. The experience last a lifetime and the exposure change lives.

Last edited:
I've seen some outlets ranking the Flyers 60th in the nation, tops in IL. They start with the #3 in the nation this weekend.
I tried to post links to the Sun Times and FND rankings but apparently it's one link per post. FND has EStL #1.

For what it's worth...

I like that Warren is kind of a sleeper this year. It will take a few early games but by mid year watch out for the 🎢. The defense will be strong as usual but a few new pieces on offense (QB & RB) will be important. The overall team speed is huge. A lot kids that went down state for track are on both sides of the ball. Plus an experienced O-Line. Stay tuned the flag is open !

I’m really looking forward to seeing NV/OHS this week. Both coaching staffs seem to be under heavy criticism lately. Having seen the game last year, it’s clear that OHS couldn’t wrap or contain Mennecke, will they adjust and use some of their better talent on both sides of the ball. Will OHS throw downfield to some of their talented receivers? Spy Mennecke?

I like that Warren is kind of a sleeper this year. It will take a few early games but by mid year watch out for the 🎢. The defense will be strong as usual but a few new pieces on offense (QB & RB) will be important. The overall team speed is huge. A lot kids that went down state for track are on both sides of the ball. Plus an experienced O-Line. Stay tuned the flag is open !
Sleeper? They are ranked in the top 10 in every poll.

I’m really looking forward to seeing NV/OHS this week. Both coaching staffs seem to be under heavy criticism lately. Having seen the game last year, it’s clear that OHS couldn’t wrap or contain Mennecke, will they adjust and use some of their better talent on both sides of the ball. Will OHS throw downfield to some of their talented receivers? Spy Mennecke?
Mennecke is such a good creator with the ball in his hands it's tough to judge what he will do. Add in the talent he has at his disposal and it makes it that much more difficult to contain. If they run the same 3 plays they did all of last year then teams will be able to zero in on him more effectively.

Defensively....Neuqua should be very good. Losing Domschke (sp?) and Sessa hurts but there are young pups ready to step in. The move of Wenz from TE to LB (alongside stud Cole D.) will make running at the Wildcat D difficult. I'm really looking forward to this one and am excited to finally see a game at Oswego.

Reactions: dapiech
Mennecke is such a good creator with the ball in his hands it's tough to judge what he will do. Add in the talent he has at his disposal and it makes it that much more difficult to contain. If they run the same 3 plays they did all of last year then teams will be able to zero in on him more effectively.

Defensively....Neuqua should be very good. Losing Domschke (sp?) and Sessa hurts but there are young pups ready to step in. The move of Wenz from TE to LB (alongside stud Cole D.) will make running at the Wildcat D difficult. I'm really looking forward to this one and am excited to finally see a game at Oswego.
Pro-tip, go early, Get the tacos. No reason Oswego shouldn’t make this the Tonelli show. He’s all of 6’6” and put on the muscle. Ibarra has been playing since the Spring season, good size as well. The offensive staff wanted to groom Ibarra for this season, I hope they were right.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Pro-tip, go early, Get the tacos. No reason Oswego shouldn’t make this the Tonelli show. He’s all of 6’6” and put on the muscle. Ibarra has been playing since the Spring season, good size as well. The offensive staff wanted to groom Ibarra for this season, I hope they were right.
Was planning on getting there early.

I was really surprised they didn't utilize Tonelli more last year. He was certainly a difference maker. If it turns into a shootout I would assume he's going to be a key cog in the OHS attack.

Reactions: dapiech

I was really surprised they didn't utilize Tonelli more last year. He was certainly a difference maker. If it turns into a shootout I would assume he's going to be a key cog in the OHS attack.

While I can't have the tacos (Not Keto friendly) I'll see you guys at the game. OHS will bring a heavy dose of Tonelli, unlike last year. NV by 2 TD's...At least.

You and everyone in the stadium the last two years. They did in the Minooka game, spring season and not much since. Katzenbach is also a three year starting receiver. They need a good game plan, that’s what worries me.

I'm guessing they'll have him on the field as much as humanly possible. Good coaches always find ways to get their most talented players on the field as much as they are willing.
Let’s hope, it’s not always the case though. He’s crazy athletic and teamed up with Thomas at the other DE (all conference as a soph) and hopefully a spy from the LB position they will keep MM in the pocket.

Beast
Loyola
Swagger
Brook
Hitters
NN
NV
Marist
6 Flags
Eddie from down state
York
HC

Holy cow.
I’m gonna go ahead and do it. I wasn’t gonna, but I’ve just been biting my lip. Obvious and “renowned” bias, affiliation, and being “Pops…”. I truly in the most objective way possible think that NV runs table this year. I’ve hinted at it before and tried to be “P.C.” but I can’t take it anymore. This team returns 17 starters and also is a senior group that is currently 23-2 in high school football. Yes all “the things” about WHY NO LOVE in general, but I truly (hope) but like TRULY think this team is better than anyone is suggesting or regarding. So I’m just saying all this cuz I wanna be right if it happens… hahaha
Ok, that’s all *end rant*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT