ADVERTISEMENT

Note to Gene K

And first responders, besides Gene, McCaravan, and SouthSideCFD
I’m both. Happy to have served my country and city...although the city has tested my patience in recent years. 6 years in the USMC, 22 for the city, I’ll be 55 in three years and off to warmer climates! And if anyone else on here is a fellow Jarhead, HAPPY MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY!

Gene, not all posters qualify for Friday special attention.
Another senior moment for me I forgot Friday is Veterans day. 3 years US Army (1962-1965,) Ft. Knox, Ft. Hood, and France. 30 CPD years, (1966-1996) 011 district,
Area 4 Task Force, Detective Area 2, SOG 4 sgt, 24 & 13 district Tactical Lt., and finally Narcotics Division. Retired and then 11 years with Riverside PD (1996-2008). All CCL/ESCC team fan with special attention to Montini and St. Rita. Miss the clowns but not the circus.

Another senior moment for me I forgot Friday is Veterans day. 3 years US Army (1962-1965,) Ft. Knox, Ft. Hood, and France. 30 CPD years, (1966-1996) 011 district,
Area 4 Task Force, Detective Area 2, SOG 4 sgt, 24 & 13 district Tactical Lt., and finally Narcotics Division. Retired and then 11 years with Riverside PD (1996-2008). All CCL/ESCC team fan with special attention to Montini and St. Rita. Miss the clowns but not the circus.
Gene,
You are one of my favorite posters. thank you for your contribution to our nation, Chicago and this board!

Six year Navy 97-03

Marines =
My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
Sir

Lol j/k - Happy birthday Marine Corps!
“I like all you Navy guys, we got to go somewhere to fight, you fellas give us a ride”- Lt. Kendrick A Few Good Men! 😀

Thank you for your service! Anchors Away!!

Reactions: doctor_d
Is retirement as wonderful as I hope it will be? Thank you for your service!! I’ve been in Patrol, Gangs, Narcotics, and D Unit and every time I leave a unit I use the line “I’ll miss the clowns, but not the circus”! God Bless ya!

Last edited:
Is retirement as wonderful as I hope it will be? Thank you for your service!! I’ve been in Patrol, Gangs, Narcotics, and D Unit and every time I leave a unit I
I use the line “I’ll miss the clowns, but not the circus”! God Bless ya!
Final retirement is the greatest thing going. No more stress, or worries about others than your family and friends, You are able to do what you want when you want. Your a short timer, so ride it out and into the sunset and don't look back.

US Army (1969-1972), Ft. Leonard Wood, Ft. Gordon (but never went to the Masters Tournament), Ft. Benning, and last but definitely not least, West Germany. In fact, spent more than half of my active service in West Germany holding back the Russian horde. You're welcome!!! Still remember the Jaegerschnitzel and das Bier!!!

Very nice. Hats off!

• Love
Reactions: Gene K.
MC63, McCaravan, Doctor D, Mallaeus . . . . . , Alex32 and GENE! If I missed anyone, it wasn't done intentionally.

Thank you for your service--I do appreciate you all putting your life on the line for our freedoms.

God bless my old man (Korea), Gramps (WWII) and several Uncles in Vietnam, along with many family members with the CPD, including my sister in Homicide. McCaravan--I am quite positive you know her.

Gene--while you were at Riverside, I am sure you assisted the Lyons PD on many situations. My middle school is right across the street from the Lyons Fire Dept. on Joliet Ave. We've seen the RPD around before.

MC63, McCaravan, Doctor D, Mallaeus . . . . . , Alex32 and GENE! If I missed anyone, it wasn't done intentionally.

Thank you for your service--I do appreciate you all putting your life on the line for our freedoms.

God bless my old man (Korea), Gramps (WWII) and several Uncles in Vietnam, along with many family members with the CPD, including my sister in Homicide. McCaravan--I am quite positive you know her.

Gene--while you were at Riverside, I am sure you assisted the Lyons PD on many situations. My middle school is right across the street from the Lyons Fire Dept. on Joliet Ave. We've seen the RPD around before.
I, and I assume the others, appreciate the thanks! Speaking for myself, I will always salute those who gave the ULTIMATE sacrifice!!!

I've told this story once before, but it may be worth repeating. My old man wasn't much of a father and was a misfit in society, but like a lot of misfits he found a home in the Army. He did three tours in Vietnam and when he returned to the States he volunteered for a special assignment.. Wearing his dress uniform, he traveled around the country, knocking on doors and informing families that their son had been killed in battle.

That last line sums it up. And a tip of the cap to the kids still doing the job. And a pat on the back for still putting money into our pension fund. Today they have it a lot harder than we ever did.

My father was also a police officer and a WWII vet. He never talked about the war to us ever. At my dads wake my uncle told us about his war service. We had found my dad's discharge papers looking for the insurance papers. He worked a second full time job for 13 years so all his kids could go to Catholic grade school and high school. I always knew we were living with a hero the discharge papers only confirmed it.

Last edited:
Final retirement is the greatest thing going. No more stress, or worries about others than your family and friends, You are able to do what you want when you want. Your a short timer, so ride it out and into the sunset and don't look back.
Very well said Gene. And don't regret getting old. It is a privilege denied to many. Thank you to all Veterans.

Gene, I was in the AF. I was overjoyed when discharged. What was the highlight of my life was my time on the CPD. I had little education when I started and I ended up with a law degree and left after 15 years. I made friends on the CPD 40 years ago that I still talk to today. Although I was in the patrol division for most of my career I can say without a doubt, and it likely seems strange to some, that the most fun I ever had was working in the 15th district.

Thank you for your service, Gene!!

• Love
And thanks to all the other service men and women on this board for your service as well. I'm not gonna clog up the thread thanking each individually. Just know you are all appreciated in this little corner of the world.

WE worked hand and hand with Lyons, North Riverside, and Brooklyn. Every other month we had lunch with the School superintendents from all those towns, ( grammar schools and RB high school). We set up rapid response teams and trained with those towns in case of school shootings.

Gene:

An acquaintance of mine refers to Harrison as "Murder Central."

I know another fellow who worked in Austin. You know the place: Body parts are cropping up all over the neighborhood these days.

Pleased to see you made it out unscathed.
I started in 011th and went to Area 4 Task Force ( a rapid response- all volunteer unit) which included policing the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th Districts. Austin-015 which abuts 011 was bad then and worst now. Our unit occasionally was called there. Working those areas greatly helped me learn the job and it's nuances! Never, ever a dull moment.

Gene, I was in the AF. I was overjoyed when discharged. What was the highlight of my life was my time on the CPD. I had little education when I started and I ended up with a law degree and left after 15 years. I made friends on the CPD 40 years ago that I still talk to today. Although I was in the patrol division for most of my career I can say without a doubt, and it likely seems strange to some, that the most fun I ever had was working in the 15th district.
Great post! My best time on the job was as a Sgt in SOG Area 4, supervising a 10 man squad who were all top notch officers. Limited responsibility (10 men) and worries at that level. I wish more officers would use the educational benefits with CPD. Like you, I also used CPD to pay for my education. I was given the opportunity by CPD to go to the FBI Academy for 3 months (159th Session-1989) which spurred me on to getting my BA from Lewis University and MA from IIT. That was all at the end of my career with CPD and enitrely paid for by the City.

Last edited:
Great post! My best time on the job was as a Sgt in SOG Area 4, supervising a 10 man squad who were all top notch officers. Limited responsibility (10 men) and worries at that level. I wish more officers would use the educational benefits with CPD. Like you, I also used CPD to pay for my education. I was given the opportunity by CPD to go to the FBI Academy for 3 months (159th Session-1989) which spurred me on to getting my BA from Lewis University and MA from IIT. That was all at the end of my career with CPD and enitrely paid for by the City.
The MPA at IIT was pretty good. Saved me a lot of money. Less time for watch parties..........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT