ADVERTISEMENT

Not good - bad for football

I'm not trying to defend this score, but it's interesting to note the following background on Inglewood: Inglewood is 9-0, with six of their nine wins being shutouts. They have scored 405 points and have allowed 45, 26 of which were scored by one school. One 2-0 forfeit is included in the above.

Newt:

Read about this debacle in the LA Times this morning (I read the LA Times routinely during college football season to keep up with USC football). Let me begin by saying I loathe the LA Times as much as I abhor the Tribune and Sun-Times, but the LA paper performed decent journalism in covering this incident. According to the Times, Inglewood High led 59-0 at the end of the first quarter and the Inglewood coaches rejected the officials' plea to move up the start of the running-clock at the beginning of the second quarter. Inglewood QB, Justyn Martin, threw 13 TD passes. Martin, a UCLA commit, played the entire game, according to the Times. Martin also threw a two-point conversion pass near the end of the game, even though Inglewood led 104-0. The scoreboard couldn't accommodate the third digit in Inglewood's tally.

Why would a player of Martin's caliber be playing at the end of a blowout and risk injury?

The LA Times' story had several links to tweets on the game, one of which described Inglewood's coach in, well, uncharitable terms, and revealed he has an unsavory history.

Needless to say, this score is appalling. I tend to believe it was deliberate and represents the coach settling a score against a despised adversary.

Newt:

Read about this debacle in the LA Times this morning (I read the LA Times routinely during college football season to keep up with USC football). Let me begin by saying I loathe the LA Times as much as I abhor the Tribune and Sun-Times, but the LA paper performed decent journalism in covering this incident. According to the Times, Inglewood High led 59-0 at the end of the first quarter and the Inglewood coaches rejected the officials' plea to move up the start of the running-clock at the beginning of the second quarter. Inglewood QB, Justyn Martin, threw 13 TD passes. Martin, a UCLA commit, played the entire game, according to the Times. Martin also threw a two-point conversion pass near the end of the game, even though Inglewood led 104-0. The scoreboard couldn't accommodate the third digit in Inglewood's tally.

Why would a player of Martin's caliber be playing at the end of a blowout and risk injury?

The LA Times' story had several links to tweets on the game, one of which described Inglewood's coach in, well, uncharitable terms, and revealed he has an unsavory history.

Needless to say, this score is appalling. I tend to believe it was deliberate and represents the coach settling a score against a despised adversary.
Great recap. This coach wouldn’t be allowed back in my building if I was the principle or superintendent

Reactions: NNFAN and corey90
Lisa Leslie played for Morningside High School. In 1988, she scored 101 points in one half versus South Torrence, who forfeited at half.

Payback's a bitch.

• Haha
Reactions: mmca and Blue Ruin
Honestly I have no problem with the score its not the coaches job to stop his team from scoring, if the other team is that mismatched they should have forfeited prior to the game. I personally wouldn't beat a team like that but you will come across jerks in what ever you do in life so get used to it or do something about.

How bout we institute the 3 pass rule for football, first two passes need to go back a minimum of 3 yds and thrown at least 15 yards or the play is blown dead at the intended backwards pass location unless fumbled. If fumbled the ball is turned over to the other team.

• Haha
Reactions: chiliconcarne
You can't tell any kid on the roster to let up, but if the coach is calling pass plays in the 2nd half with his high profile QB still in, then he is a bad guy.

If a team can't stop someone who's calling RB draws, well that's just life sometimes.

Reactions: NNFAN
You can't tell any kid on the roster to let up, but if the coach is calling pass plays in the 2nd half with his high profile QB still in, then he is a bad guy.

If a team can't stop someone who's calling RB draws, well that's just life sometimes.
Once the running clock goes in play, it is so easy to not score 40 more points. Refs will stretch the play clock for you. Don’t pass. Heck, take a delay of game here and there. Taking that one penalty and letting the refs deliberately walk it off and then draining play clock again can kill 2 full minutes.

Once the running clock goes in play, it is so easy to not score 40 more points. Refs will stretch the play clock for you. Don’t pass. Heck, take a delay of game here and there. Taking that one penalty and letting the refs deliberately walk it off and then draining play clock again can kill 2 full minutes.
So we have JCA’s 4A playbook now.

Honestly I have no problem with the score its not the coaches job to stop his team from scoring, if the other team is that mismatched they should have forfeited prior to the game. I personally wouldn't beat a team like that but you will come across jerks in what ever you do in life so get used to it or do something about.
You have no problem with that score? And I disagree, at some point it is the coaches job to stop scoring.

You have no problem with that score? And I disagree, at some point it is the coaches job to stop scoring.
I wouldn’t do it but a coaches job isn’t to worry about the other team it’s to coach his. The other team could asked for a running clock or sat in the huddle and used the full 45 seconds every play to shorten the game.

I'd be more concerned about the team losing 100-0 taking a cheap shot at my D-1 QB that's still in the game throwing passes. At the very least, I'd want to protect my assets.

I'd be more concerned about the team losing 100-0 taking a cheap shot at my D-1 QB that's still in the game throwing passes. At the very least, I'd want to protect my

In Chicago Area School equivalents this would be ____________ vs ______________?

Newt:

I am all for displaying your dominance in a sporting event-any sport. I am also all for when people show their true colors and letting them write their own narrative. Nothing can be said to justify or normalize what he chose to do. We all write our legacy each day, with each decision we make. Sounds like this legacy is one which assistant coaches with character should be wondering what path their life is headed if they follow in their mentors footsteps. There is a place for grace, humility, respect and compassion. I certainly saw it this year in local high school games. And by the way, if you are not teaching that to young people, what exactly are you teaching to our future leaders?

When you have a game in the bag like this, why not reward those non starters who show up every day at practice the opportunity to play? Seems to be a regular thing when most teams clearly have a huge marginal win at hand. This here seems like a coach trying to win the biggest schlong contest or trying to get his name in the record book.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about the team losing 100-0 taking a cheap shot at my D-1 QB that's still in the game throwing passes. At the very least, I'd want to protect my assets.
Im guessing their team couldnt get close enough to the qb to take that shot based on 13 tds...

Just because California has the 5th largest economy in the world doesn't mean it is doing well. As of the end of September the unemployment rate in CA was 7.5% ranking it a tie for 50th (out of 50 states for those of you who aren't sure how many states we have) place along with Nevada. BTW, Illinois was tied for 45th. The national unemployment rate is 4.8%.

Seems like I heard a report recently that Tesla is moving to Texas. The schools in LA, Oakland and other major cities in CA are a mess. Property taxes are sky high, just like New Jersey and Illinois.

Prices at the gas pump are the highest in the country with the possible exception of Hawaii. Last Wednesday the state average was up to $4.58 a gallon (per gas buddy, which is very accurate) which is .10 off the state's highest ever average. I say that record will be broken. You will also pay the highest taxes on gasoline in CA too. If you fill up there you'll pay $66.98 cents per gallon...per gallon in taxes alone. (data from the American Petroleum institute shows this) CA excise taxes are $51.10 cents per gallon, CA sales tax is 2.25%, Underground storage tank fees are 2 cents per gallon. Local sales tax are about 1% on average. And federal excise taxes on gas are 18.4 cents per gallon.

Yeah, things in California are just peachy. I have said for years that California is a beautiful state that is being run by idiots.

Just because California has the 5th largest economy in the world doesn't mean it is doing well. As of the end of September the unemployment rate in CA was 7.5% ranking it a tie for 50th (out of 50 states for those of you who aren't sure how many states we have) place along with Nevada. BTW, Illinois was tied for 45th. The national unemployment rate is 4.8%.

Seems like I heard a report recently that Tesla is moving to Texas. The schools in LA, Oakland and other major cities in CA are a mess. Property taxes are sky high, just like New Jersey and Illinois.

Prices at the gas pump are the highest in the country with the possible exception of Hawaii. Last Wednesday the state average was up to $4.58 a gallon (per gas buddy, which is very accurate) which is .10 off the state's highest ever average. I say that record will be broken. You will also pay the highest taxes on gasoline in CA too. If you fill up there you'll pay $66.98 cents per gallon...per gallon in taxes alone. (data from the American Petroleum institute shows this) CA excise taxes are $51.10 cents per gallon, CA sales tax is 2.25%, Underground storage tank fees are 2 cents per gallon. Local sales tax are about 1% on average. And federal excise taxes on gas are 18.4 cents per gallon.

Yeah, things in California are just peachy. I have said for years that California is a beautiful state that is being run by idiots.

No politics, bozo!

No politics, bozo!
Nothing political about it, moron. These are economic facts. Something you wouldn't understand. I didn't start this conversation. Read more than one post will you? Then come here with your uninformed and misinformed opinion...which is worthless anyway. You're just pissed with recent events and I know what they are. Grow up and go eat your Cream of Wheat you cranky old man. You just love to be the first one to start the name calling.

"California is a beautiful state that is being run by idiots."

That's extremely political.

"cranky old man"

Why are you so hung up on age? What's next? Race, gender, some other excuse to be a bully?

I’m thinking a charity mud wrestling event between MC and LTHS might be a big money maker.
If only there was an easy and efficient way to sell tickets online and store them on some sort of device like your phone…

Reactions: CIMRY90
"California is a beautiful state that is being run by idiots."

That's extremely political.

"cranky old man"

Why are you so hung up on age? What's next? Race, gender, some other excuse to be a bully?
You don't even have the stones to reply to me directly? No, it wasn't political. But, I love the way you come here and say "no politics." You really don't mean "no politics." You'd love to talk politics. If I had written positive things about CA and ended it by saying; "CA is a beautiful state and the people who are running it are doing an outstanding job," you wouldn't have written a single word. Not a peep. And you know you wouldn't have. You might not have even considered it political. Why?

Because when you say "no politics" what you really mean is, no political opinions you don't agree with. You do that every time. I have never seen you tell anyone who agrees with you politically to "stop talking politics." Never. And none of us ever will.

You might have some people here fooled by your "no politics" lies, but not me. I know exactly what you mean. You couldn't put up a debate based on facts, which you never can, so you went to your usual statement in your usual effort to blow up a thread you don't like. You do the same thing when you are losing an argument. Generally you just slink away. Happens every time.

When I wrote what I wrote about CA I didn't call the guy who originally posted his opinion any names. I just put facts out there. But starting the name calling is a sure sign you're losing the debate...again. Go take a nap and get back on your meds.

You don't even have the stones to reply to me directly? No, it wasn't political. But, I love the way you come here and say "no politics." You really don't mean "no politics." You'd love to talk politics. If I had written positive things about CA and ended it by saying; "CA is a beautiful state and the people who are running it are doing an outstanding job," you wouldn't have written a single word. Not a peep. And you know you wouldn't have. You might not have even considered it political. Why?

Because when you say "no politics" what you really mean is, no political opinions you don't agree with. You do that every time. I have never seen you tell anyone who agrees with you politically to "stop talking politics." Never. And none of us ever will.

You might have some people here fooled by your "no politics" lies, but not me. I know exactly what you mean. You couldn't put up a debate based on facts, which you never can, so you went to your usual statement in your usual effort to blow up a thread you don't like. You do the same thing when you are losing an argument. Generally you just slink away. Happens every time.

When I wrote what I wrote about CA I didn't call the guy who originally posted his opinion any names. I just put facts out there. But starting the name calling is a sure sign you're losing the debate...again. Go take a nap and get back on your meds.
Yeah, where is that guy...crickets..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT