ADVERTISEMENT

New IHSA transfer rule?

mullin17

Jul 2, 2001
Athletes being eligible right away going from Private to Public because of financial HARDSHIP and cant afford tuition.
OK.

A student-athlete being eligible right away going from Public to Private because family's financial situation/job changed and now they CAN AFFORD tuition

Anyone ever heard of this?

Athletes being eligible right away going from Private to Public because of financial HARDSHIP and cant afford tuition.
OK.

A student-athlete being eligible right away going from Public to Private because family's financial situation/job changed and now they CAN AFFORD tuition

Never heard the second scenario but I would seriously doubt it in this slanted public world we live in.

The first scenario has basically been the case for awhile, sadly many people have "cried poor" and utilized it as their excuse for transferring to a public school.

OK.

Nope, but I think it's great. The question is how are financial changes determined?

I have never been a fan of transfers as a general proposition perhaps because I am older and from a generation that if you transferred it was because you were kicked out of school and had to transfer. I attended St. Pats when my class alone had over 400 boys and a total of over 1600 in the school. I made lifelong friends among those I went to school with and it seems odd to me that a kid would pick up and leave one school and go to another for the sole reason of athletics leaving the friends he had made behind.

It apears from the empirical evidence that many transfers, but not all, are simply due to athletics and the ability to be able to have the opportunity to play on a team more successful than the team the kid is currently playing on. Alternatively it appears that a transfer may be initiated in order for the kid to get playing time he will not get at his current school. In any event it at some point the IHSA recognized that the transfer situation was getting out of control when kids transfering was no longer an exception, but became routine.

I don't know what the solution is to the transfer question or if the policies in place at the IHSA are the answer. What I think is, from my perspective, that it must be difficult for the kid that is transferring from one school to another, regardless of his athletic ability for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with athletics.

I think before parents have their child transfer to another school they should think long and hard about the lessons that will be ingrained in the child as a result of the transfer, particularly if the transfer is for athletic reasons alone.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of transfers as a general proposition perhaps because I am older and from a generation that if you transferred it was because you were kicked out of school and had to transfer. I attended St. Pats when my class alone had over 400 boys and a total of over 1600 in the school. I made lifelong friends among those I went to school with and it seems odd to me that a kid would pick up and leave one school and go to another for the sole reason of athletics leaving the friends he had made behind.

It apears from the empirical evidence that many transfers, but not all, are simply due to athletics and the ability to be able to have the opportunity to play on a team more successful than the team the kid is currently playing on. Alternatively it appears that a transfer may be initiated in order for the kid to get playing time he will not get at his current school. In any event it at some point the IHSA recognized that the transfer situation was getting out of control when kids transfering was no longer an exception, but became routine.

I don't know what the solution is to the transfer question or if the policies in place at the IHSA are the answer. What I think is, from my perspective, that it must be difficult for the kid that is transferring from one school to another, regardless of his athletic ability for a number of reasons, none of which have anything to do with athletics.

I think before parents have there child transfer to another school they should think long and hard about the lessons that will be ingrained in the child as a result of the transfer, particularly if the transfer is for athletic reasons alone.

Great post I played on great high teams and I played on really bad ones too but I was playing with my friends and can't imagine uprooting and starting over after a year or two. Athletics are great and teach valuable lessons but to many people see them as the end all be all.

OK.

Yes. And it worked
Required a certain lawyer

What if transferring is the difference between gettimg college paid for and not getting it paid for?

If it was only that simple.
Imagine I am a light out spot up shooter but average at best at most other aspects of basketball, and I go to Simeon. I may not see the court, I may not make the team. However, there are some college programs that will take that and give it a schollie. I suppose I could play AAU, but a transfer to Stagg may get me on the court and possibly into college. Clearly not UNC, but maybe a smaller school

I think before parents have their child transfer to another school they should think long and hard about the lessons that will be ingrained in the child as a result of the transfer, particularly if the transfer is for athletic reasons alone.

I hear you completely and understand your points Bronco. And agree in many ways I think. I guess in a way, though, I could say I'm also from a 'no longer young' generation that also believes that this is America and we were founded on a basic belief of 'freedom', and I believe education and athletics firmly fall into that category, and we should err on the side of honoring that freedom.

I also say that as a father who had a son transfer, and that in my experience it is rarely a single simple factor that affects the transfer, so imposing strict standards based on one factor is a disservice to these kids. Athletics may seem like a major factor, meanwhile educational development, social/peer issues, religious and many other all can co-exist in the decision, and in my experience usually do. Yet many people with absolutely zero insight on the situation are quick to jump in and say "Johnny Doe is transferring from school X to school Y just to play football. It's ridiculous...." It's just another example of how life isn't always as simple as some pretend it to be.

Just my two cents Bronco, thanks for your post.

Reactions: biglatte and CCfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT