ADVERTISEMENT

Neuqua 31 Palatine 17 Final

I didn’t go. Where you there? Field had to be glorious after all that rain.

Neuqua gets Loyola more than likely.

Last edited:
Palatine had a chance to go up 24-17 in the 4th but the QB overthrew a wide open receiver deep. NV responded with a TD and then another tack on late.

mud was brutal. Ball couldn’t get going. When your game is based on cuts it’s tough to run. I would say advantage Neuqua with the mud.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Palatine took way too long to wake up. NV recovered the opening kick after a drop/muff/fumble. It was 14-0 in a blink. They never had answer for the QB running. They did "knock him out" of the game midway through (he was injured getting tackled on a routine play), and QB2 just didn't run like the starter. Eventually tied it at 17-17 late, but let it slip away.

If I can nitpick the Pirates a bit. Several players removed from the game for no mouthpiece. Eventually a pre-snap 5-yard penalty for the same infraction, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Pre-snap penalty on a punt return because they couldn't get the personnel squared away, as the punt returner ran on and off twice. Penalty for screaming at the refs late, which murdered what could've been the tying drive. Turned 2nd and 10 into 2nd and 25.

This was the group with the juniors who never lost a game and senior skills on offense with a D1 running back. I expected more. Felt like Palatine had the better team for most of the game, but they didn't turn it into a W.

A late series sums up the '23 Pirates pretty well.... Game tied, 17-17, under 5 minutes to play. After throwing an INT on their own side of the 50, Palatine defense holds, and forces NV to attempt a 38-yard FG. NV tries to draw Palatine offsides in FG formation... doesn't work. The plan seemed to be attempt the kick anyway, late in the play clock, if Palatine didn't jump..... But NV didn't snap it in time. 5 yard penalty, now its 4th and 11 from the 26, and seemingly a 43-yard FG. Thanks NV! NV sends the offense back out. They run a simple screen pass which is in the middle of traffic the entire time, but the Pirates never actually tackle the NV kid. He navigates past the first down marker and all the way inside the 5 yard line, putting NV on the doorstep. They score 2 plays later, then add another TD in the final minute. Tough season.

QB for next 2 years looks like a monster on the sidelines. Rocket arm. Two of the big receivers are juniors, and they had great games. The thumping OLB/Wildcat QB is a junior as well. He plays and runs so hard, you can't help but notice, Looking forward to next year!

I don't even know, honestly. Their best group in years will be seniors. Next year's juniors were decent on lower levels. If I had to guess right now, I'd say ranked pre-season, but a lot lower than this year. Finish 7-2 or 6-3 again. Capable of upsetting a Maine South or beating Barrington, as they have recently. But also likely handled by those teams, as they were this year.

Last year they were 10-2 with talent still coming.... this year felt like it could've been special. Just never happened.

Good win by NV. Palatine has to be up there for most overrated team of the season.
Sadly, I concur
Palatine took way too long to wake up. NV recovered the opening kick after a drop/muff/fumble. It was 14-0 in a blink. They never had answer for the QB running. They did "knock him out" of the game midway through (he was injured getting tackled on a routine play), and QB2 just didn't run like the starter. Eventually tied it at 17-17 late, but let it slip away.

If I can nitpick the Pirates a bit. Several players removed from the game for no mouthpiece. Eventually a pre-snap 5-yard penalty for the same infraction, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Pre-snap penalty on a punt return because they couldn't get the personnel squared away, as the punt returner ran on and off twice. Penalty for screaming at the refs late, which murdered what could've been the tying drive. Turned 2nd and 10 into 2nd and 25.

This was the group with the juniors who never lost a game and senior skills on offense with a D1 running back. I expected more. Felt like Palatine had the better team for most of the game, but they didn't turn it into a W.

A late series sums up the '23 Pirates pretty well.... Game tied, 17-17, under 5 minutes to play. After throwing an INT on their own side of the 50, Palatine defense holds, and forces NV to attempt a 38-yard FG. NV tries to draw Palatine offsides in FG formation... doesn't work. The plan seemed to be attempt the kick anyway, late in the play clock, if Palatine didn't jump..... But NV didn't snap it in time. 5 yard penalty, now its 4th and 11 from the 26, and seemingly a 43-yard FG. Thanks NV! NV sends the offense back out. They run a simple screen pass which is in the middle of traffic the entire time, but the Pirates never actually tackle the NV kid. He navigates past the first down marker and all the way inside the 5 yard line, putting NV on the doorstep. They score 2 plays later, then add another TD in the final minute. Tough season.

QB for next 2 years looks like a monster on the sidelines. Rocket arm. Two of the big receivers are juniors, and they had great games. The thumping OLB/Wildcat QB is a junior as well. He plays and runs so hard, you can't help but notice, Looking forward to next year!

Reactions: Anomalyout28
"QB for next 2 years looks like a monster on the sidelines. Rocket arm. Two of the big receivers are juniors, and they had great games. The thumping OLB/Wildcat QB is a junior as well. He plays and runs so hard, you can't help but notice, Looking forward to next year!"

It looks like they're gonna pass over Tiejens and go with Santiago for QB based on what we saw this season. Both are excellent QBs, and Santiago, like you said, is a stud. Super fast and elusive running, a cannon of an arm, makes things happen. Has scouts watching him on the football field and basketball court as a sophomore. After Palatine jumped out to a 42-0 halftime lead against Schaumburg Santiago played the second half. If you check out the first screen in this Hudl highlight it's the future of Palatine with Santiago to Jesse Blake Jr, who are the heirs apparent to Elter and Ball -> . Though, there is a 5'11 210 RB younger brother of the current JV RB coming in next fall who was a 7th grade state champ sprinter, so maybe there'll be another 4yr RB like Ball? Who knows??

Fager and both OTs were sophomores - I said it at the start of the season and this year beared it out - IMO Fager will be All State by the time he leaves, just a cut above everyone else.

They started 7 juniors and 2 sophomores on defense this year, which was their Achilles heel as you noted. Same on offense, they lose Ball, Elter, WR Moorer and Center Ryan Kick - everyone else returns.

Someone in another thread noted how they didn't play with their usual chip on their shoulder, and I agree - I think they read all the preseason hype and it went to their heads. Next years team will be made up of two very successful classes who both put up 40 pts a game at lower levels - lets hope they get that chip back on their shoulders after this season and play up to their potential next year.

Last edited:
"QB for next 2 years looks like a monster on the sidelines. Rocket arm. Two of the big receivers are juniors, and they had great games. The thumping OLB/Wildcat QB is a junior as well. He plays and runs so hard, you can't help but notice, Looking forward to next year!"

It looks like they're gonna pass over Tiejens and go with Santiago for QB based on what we saw this season. Both are excellent QBs, and Santiago, like you said, is a stud. Super fast and elusive running, a cannon of an arm, makes things happen. Has scouts watching him on the football field and basketball court as a sophomore. After Palatine jumped out to a 42-0 halftime lead against Schaumburg Santiago played the second half. If you check out the first screen in this Hudl highlight it's the future of Palatine with Santiago to Jesse Blake Jr, who are the heirs apparent to Elter and Ball -> . Though, there is a 5'11 210 RB younger brother of the current JV RB coming in next fall who was a 7th grade state champ sprinter, so maybe there'll be another 4yr RB like Ball? Who knows??

Fager and both OTs were sophomores - I said it at the start of the season and this year beared it out - IMO Fager will be All State by the time he leaves, just a cut above everyone else.

They started 7 juniors and 2 sophomores on defense this year, which was their Achilles heel as you noted. Same on offense, they lose Ball, Elter, WR Moorer and Center Ryan Kick - everyone else returns.

Someone in another thread noted how they didn't play with their usual chip on their shoulder, and I agree - I think they read all the preseason hype and it went to their heads. Next years team will be made up of two very successful classes who both put up 40 pts a game at lower levels - lets hope they get that chip back on their shoulders after this season and play up to their potential next year.
I agree with most of what you and Catch say. In this case, unfortunately, I have to put the brunt of this season on the coaching staff. The mental side of the game is what the Pirates were lacking this year

Reactions: Irishfan90
I agree with most of what you and Catch say. In this case, unfortunately, I have to put the brunt of this season on the coaching staff. The mental side of the game is what the Pirates were lacking this year
Oh.. I've never been a fan of Olsen. I understood why he did it, but I was so bummed when Rick Splitt stepped down.

Reactions: Irishfan90
That’s typically the issue at Neuqua. It’s also the reason why some very talented local kids head to St Francis, Benet, Naz, etal.

He's been coaching at CG
He was while his sons were playing - one of his sons was starting center on the state champion team Ibelieve - but not sure if he is anymore. According to the PHS D211 website, he's stilll teaching and a counselor at Palatine.

He was while his sons were playing - one of his sons was starting center on the state champion team Ibelieve - but not sure if he is anymore. According to the PHS D211 website, he's stilll teaching and a counselor at Palatine.
He's still coaching there and working at Palatine

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT