ADVERTISEMENT

NBCSC: Recruiting News and Notes

Edgy, how do you think the early signing period will impact recruiting? I have read both pros and cons related to the December signing period. I guess the real question I am interested in is whether or not its good for the kids. Thoughts?

Edgy, how do you think the early signing period will impact recruiting? I have read both pros and cons related to the December signing period. I guess the real question I am interested in is whether or not its good for the kids. Thoughts?

Great Q here:

For the schools it's a great idea especially those in the Midwest and upper Midwest....plus this has always been a state that commits early so allow kids to sign if they want. Schools with more stable coaching situations (NWestern a prime example) will benefit and most likely lock up a class in December) will benefit as well.

Now the pitfalls? The December date is horrible for several reasons with the main one the fact that all of the coaching changes that have already happened and more will follow. Once you sign a LOI you are done. Our own Mike Farrell proposed an August signing day and I totally agree instead of December.

Good for the kids? In some aspects it is just from the "getting it over with" standpoint and the added stress on kids and families. In a large majority of the time kids here commit early and then stick with that commitment. I'm expecting that to be the case starting this year with the early date.

Also the recruiting drama will really start on December 23rd once the signing period is done....so if a kid who was supposed to sign but doesn't? Does that school drop the offer? Look elsewhere?
Things will get very interesting over the next few weeks.

I still say want to end alot of the early drama and especially end the offering of early scholarships to say younger kids?

Allow schools to offer a Letter of Intent on the spot to a recruit. If you want to "offer" say an 8th grade quarterback....then back that up with a Letter of Intent...thus making that offer legally binding. I promise that will end a lot of this drama

Wow that would be way better I’m guessing. Make those early offers LOI’s. I bet that would significantly help dIminish the current crazy process. Kinda a “put your money where your mouth is” type of thing? Is that even a possibility within the NCAA hierarchy and would it require significant rules changes/voting etc?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT