ADVERTISEMENT

NBCSC: Chicagoland area Coach of the Year (so far)

I have ripped the Rice coaching staff as much if not more than anyone, not on a personal level but simply how they seemed to lose games and let teams stay with them becasue of poor coaching moves. The new guys coaching defense are the difference as well as health this year. Kudos to Brian for filling the slots they needed. The offense is doing enough to get through games which is what they need.

Now then....they look to have the pieces in place to make a run of some sort but as I have said time and again 8A is a whole different animal and they could be the smallest school in 8A. I'd have them favored to win 7A this year. I also believe the top 8 or 9 teams would win 7A this year. 8A teams have larger rosters and fewer players playing both ways during the season. Look no further than Marist/Naz the last two years. When playoffs roll around 8A teams will use guys both ways but in the lower classes two way players are much more common. I hope Rice does do well they have a nice class.

My coach of the year though is Rice Alum (I think) Matt Kelly

Dave Lenti to me is the best coach in the state of Illinois and I really believe it is not close. If he leaves after the season then there may be trouble a brewing on Dante.
Matt Kelly gets major props as well. Would be heartbroken if Dave left but I’m prepared if he does. I was a defensive guy, he was my coach. Everything I heard is that he is staying, he loves MC, but who knows. Bill Nolan would do a fine job as his replacement if he does leave and that defense is set for the next few years with their lower level talent. This is Hughes last year on his contract, let’s see what happens.

It could be said that Lynch didn’t walk into a shitstorm, he created the shitstorm. He’s the one who accepted the job before Lenti knew or had been let go. And he was handled with kid gloves by the media. I’ve seen many Lynch interviews, not one of which has really pinned him down to explain how the change took place. Badke is coach of the year. Lynch can get one later on when he has his own players & has an undefeated season.
Hopefully LWE can play BR in the playoffs. That would probably be Coach of the year contest as well.

Hopefully LWE can play BR in the playoffs. That would probably be Coach of the year contest as well.
Not saying the LWE coach doesn’t deserve consideration, but didn’t they win state last year? I don’t think Coach of the Year is an award to what team has the most talent necessarily. I’m sure Coach Z is a great coach, I really know nothing about him but I think people are supporting Badke because he took a 2-7 team & has them on the precipice of an undefeated season which has never been done before at BR. And Brian gets a lot of static on here & from other rival coaches. No biggie, I won’t lose any sleep if he wins it or not, I doubt Brian will either.

Whether he’s a good guy or not, I don’t know the man from Adam, coach of the year should be a coach who takes a perceived mediocre team and wins with them. If he is such a bad guy and still wins, he really should be coach of the year. Just my opinion tho.

Well I know him...... He's not a good guy. If you don't belive me, ask any of his former players or their parents, He's having a great year (this year) and we can't take that away from him.

If that's your opinion you obviously don't know him or his family. Both extremely respected on the southside and throughout Chicago for many many years.
Btw You are talking to a former player and now a parent.

If that's your opinion you obviously don't know him or his family. Both extremely respected on the southside and throughout Chicago for many many years.
Btw You are talking to a former player and now a parent.

You played for him and now your son does? You must have been 8 years old in high school and had kids at the same time. I've met Brian at least 15 times, both socially and Br. Rice formal. I know his sister ( really nice young lady). I know a lot of parents who's boys he's coached. Don't make me retell the Fremd conversation I had with him, you won't like it.

This is all for recruiting purposes and/or negative feelings
You played for him and now your son does? You must have been 8 years old in high school and had kids at the same time. I've met Brian at least 15 times, both socially and Br. Rice formal. I know his sister ( really nice young lady). I know a lot of parents who's boys he's coached. Don't make me retell the Fremd conversation I had with him, you won't like it.
he coached me at sxu in the early 2000s but you would know that since you know him so well.
As far as Fremd goes, he would never say he isn't worried about an opponent.

Last edited:
This is all for recruiting purposes and/or negative feelings

he coached me at sxu in the early 2000s but you would know that since you know him so well.
As far as Fremd goes, he would never say he isn't worried about an opponent.
Looks like I’m off your hot seat!

Reactions: ssczar76
Not saying the LWE coach doesn’t deserve consideration, but didn’t they win state last year? I don’t think Coach of the Year is an award to what team has the most talent necessarily. I’m sure Coach Z is a great coach, I really know nothing about him but I think people are supporting Badke because he took a 2-7 team & has them on the precipice of an undefeated season which has never been done before at BR. And Brian gets a lot of static on here & from other rival coaches. No biggie, I won’t lose any sleep if he wins it or not, I doubt Brian will either.
I think if you graduate 75% of your starters and maybe the best DLine EVER and repeat at 14-0, you should get a shot at the title. Just my opinion. GO BLUE!

Well I know him...... He's not a good guy. If you don't belive me, ask any of his former players or their parents, He's having a great year (this year) and we can't take that away from him.

He does rub folks the wrong way but there are also folks that do like him. I have had parents who don't like him and parents who do. The kids going to Ivy league schools from there probably like him. A parent who believes their kid should be at a D1 school that is going to a D3 school probably thinks he has not worked hard enough for them. I think every coach after the fact is like this.

Fact is, there have been stumbles but he seems to have built something. I still believe balancing an outside job, family and team will be tough to succeed.

He does rub folks the wrong way but there are also folks that do like him. I have had parents who don't like him and parents who do. The kids going to Ivy league schools from there probably like him. A parent who believes their kid should be at a D1 school that is going to a D3 school probably thinks he has not worked hard enough for them. I think every coach after the fact is like this.

Fact is, there have been stumbles but he seems to have built something. I still believe balancing an outside job, family and team will be tough to succeed.
Very well said and couldn't agree more. Basically just summed up every coach. Coaches aren't in the business to make friends.
Jury is still out on your The last sentence

Very well said and couldn't agree more. Basically just summed up every coach. Coaches aren't in the business to make friends.
Jury is still out on your The last sentence

I think the benefit of being on campus and dedicating time to recruiting/the program is a lot tougher when pulled in three directions v two. I am not certain of the Rice staff but most catholic schools have a few coaches that are also full time employees of the school. I just think that football is so dependent on the coaching that splitting time gets tough.

I think the benefit of being on campus and dedicating time to recruiting/the program is a lot tougher when pulled in three directions v two. I am not certain of the Rice staff but most catholic schools have a few coaches that are also full time employees of the school. I just think that football is so dependent on the coaching that splitting time gets tough.
I think you will see more and more of this as catholic school enrollment continue to get smaller and smaller

Stortz but it’s hard to ignore what Bryan McNulty has done at Warren. Conference champs and given up the fewest points in conference play in at least 30 years and maybe more.

Reactions: bmwmike and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT