ADVERTISEMENT

Nape North - 31 Central - 3; NV - 35 MV - 0 Finals

NapervilleBuck

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
NV 2022 DVC Champs. Gray is heating up for the Huskies. They could be a tough out.

Why did they go away from the championship game format
No idea. I didn’t like it. I don’t like playing a team twice in the reg season. This year NV got MV twice. Accomplishes nothing.
Agreed that not much to accomplish but better than teams getting a random opponent. Might as well have a championship game if that is the second game. Also provides the 3/4 and 5/6 place teams a competitive game

Naper North plays their best and most complete game of the year (on both sides), avenging loss to Central three weeks earlier. In the previous game (a 10-7 overtime loss) an apparent NN TD in overtime was ruled short and Central kicked the winning FG.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
NCHS offense is embarrassing. Mike Ulreich is worst offensive coach I've ever witnessed. Complete failure and parents from both this year and last year are fed up with his complete incompetence. Zero foundation or strategy to define as a legit program, and adds new plays every week, like he's gonna win with a new trick play the other team didn't see on film. Until you can coach team to consistently execute even 10 foundation plays perfectly, adding new garbage he found playing Xbox is just stupid. Too many examples to list in a post, but would be very interesting to analyze offensive yards versus number of missed assignments, bad technique, and bad executions per play. Sadly it's likely the yards tally would be the smaller number. My heart breaks for the truly talented kids that have lost all passion for the game by having to endure far below average production every week when they know they're capable of far more. I can't even imagine how much worse it could be if the NCHS Defense wasn't so damn good. Number of parents that want Ulreich gone is astounding. Example parent quote, "I wouldn't let Ulreich coach the offense for a pick up game at my daughter's girl scout picnic."
I don't think the talent is as strong at NN or NC as it once was. Depth is not there like it once was. Numbers have dropped in recent years so it's hard to be lights out on both sides. The previous coach was 4-5 his last year. Current coach is 18-6 including the Covid shortened season, most fans would be happy with 18-6. Central's lower levels (an indication of future success) have not been all that good recently. The Redhawks called up SIX sophomores to the varsity this year, that's unprecedented! You don't do that if your team is loaded. And how does a 7-1 team competing for a DVC title and a high playoff seed lose all their passion for the game? I think the current coach deserves a little more slack after just 2+ seasons.

Why do you think that is? Less kids playing or more going to privates?
Bruce, I think this is true at a lot of schools. Not a private school thing, more a demographics thing. 20% Asian/Indian, 12% Hispanic, and a larger segment of non-football playing, Starbucks drinking woke elite whites. Someday we might become the Portland/Seattle of Illinois.

Bruce, I think this is true at a lot of schools. Not a private school thing, more a demographics thing. 20% Asian/Indian, 12% Hispanic, and a larger segment of non-football playing, Starbucks drinking woke elite whites. Someday we might become the Portland/Seattle of Illinois.
One morning I was out driving and saw a whole biker gang at Starbucks.

Totally respect your response from a global perspective, but if you dig into first hand details I'm very confident your opinion would change. First, that 4-5 team in Stines last year lost to THREE state champions that ended season as #1 ranked team in OH, and #1 & #2 ranked in IL, plus 9-2 & 8-2 playoff teams. Secondly, there's no 7-1 team. NCHS was 6-3 going into playoffs last year and this year. Covid ravaged season of 4 wins against the DVC patsies should be disregarded, so he's 13-7 in two legit years. More to the point is that as your article states he's a DEFENSIVE coordinator and he's running the Offense. The assistants are running the D now and Ulreich is 100% focused on the O and failing miserably. The D was easily an 8-1 if not undefeated level team both years and last year's Offense was a 4-5 team at best and this year's O would be lucky to be 2-7. The Defense is the ONLY reason this team is in the playoffs and my point is that Ulreich is responsible for the Offense, and proving every week that a Defensive expert running an Offense is a horrible idea. All 6 Sophs you reference are Defensive players, so that has zero impact. The average spread offense in IL scores 45+ points in IL and NC score avg of 18.2. Team is far below national average on almost every key statistic. Without the incredible individual performance of that star RB, these stats would be at Worst in the State levels. Despite whether talent is 10% better or worse than 10 year ago, this team is more than talented enough to double the offensive production if coached properly. Ulreich is trying so hard to prove how smart he is by instituting complex schemes & countless formations, but the kids don't know what they're doing and failed executions is a constant. With a RB that talented and an O Line at 260 lbs avg, a fool could have called nothing but dives, slants and sweeps all night and put up 21 points on NN (reminder, Ulreich produce 3). Even the media teams spoke to me after the game and said they were confused by the decisions all night and that's the most talented RB they've seen this year and couldn't figure out why NC didn't ride on him all night. Ulreich sat this RB for Dekalb game for an injury and needing him 100% for NN game, but then has 3rd string RB carry 32x and QB 21x against Dekalb and then when your RB1 is running all over NN for 5 yards a carry you give him 17 touches? that's just ignorant and bad coaching. A great coach teaches strong fundamentals and consistency in executions and 11 average players executing perfect technique will beat 95% of teams. Sorry but fundamentals and execution and play calls of NC offense have been garbage for two years and that falls 100% on Ulreich's shoulders. These kids have succeeded to above average DESPITE him, not because of him. I have hours of examples and film to prove without a doubt what I'm saying and 20-30 people that played or coached at a very high level that have expressed same sentiments. You give these exact same kids to Coach Drendel and offensive production would be minimally 50% higher if not double. Drendel would be drooling over NC's RB1 and an O Line this size, and have that kid putting up 150+ yards a game instead of the 70 he's fighting for stuck with Ulreich.
I stopped reading after you mentioned two legit years. That made me laugh. It’s a little different when you have to play by the rules. Give the new guy a break. At least he has some integrity.

In theory it sounds good. But if you think about it, one of your two best teams are going into the playoffs with an extra loss.
But the same thing was going to happen with a rematch between north and central

But the same thing was going to happen with a rematch between north and central
I’m sure it’s a random draw. If you have a championship game, the conference is guaranteeing that one of their top two teams will go into the playoffs with an extra loss. I’m sure finding an available team to play in week 3, 4, and 9 is not that easy. From what I’ve been reading, sounds like they have week 3 figured out with another conference (BB, LWE, etc.). They start conference play week 4 and have an open date week 9. They fill week 9 with a DVC team and it’s considered non conference.

I’m sure it’s a random draw. If you have a championship game, the conference is guaranteeing that one of their top two teams will go into the playoffs with an extra loss. I’m sure finding an available team to play in week 3, 4, and 9 is not that easy. From what I’ve been reading, sounds like they have week 3 figured out with another conference (BB, LWE, etc.). They start conference play week 4 and have an open date week 9. They fill week 9 with a DVC team and it’s considered non conference.
North vs Central does not seem random but I will take your word for it.

It might not be random. But do you really think NN and NC would just agree to play each other again knowing NV would get to play MV twice? I don’t know if I believe that would happen.

Stevenjdodd,

What is your relationship to NC football? Are you a parent, a fan, a student, a player, a coach on staff, a coach at another school, someone who applied for the job and didnt get it, ect...? This answer will help me better understand where you get your information.

One other thought. You claim that Coach Ulriech doesn't allow kids to turn homework in late. Why is this a bad policy? I thought part of teaching was preparing young people for the real world and how to handled real world situations... Seems to me that is exactly what he is doing in this situation.... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: ClownBaby
As a neutral observer, my opinion is 90% of offense comes down to the QB (mostly) and the OL. Are either any good for NC? I understand playing calling can be bad, but I think it is mostly on the players to execute.
Also, an OL can be big and still be terrible. Trust me, I’ve seen it more than I care to admit. Lol.

Info comes from watching last 20 games live to witness all aspects of momentum, injuries and all other aspects. Then reviewing every offensive play 3x in slow mo to analyze fundamentals and executions to help add higher level coaching to specific players. I get the "you're a mean bully" responses, but invest even 5% of the energy of dissecting me into analyzing anything more that a spliced highlight film of NC and you'll understand there are serious flaws in the teaching of fundamentals and no foundation of strategy to define what the offense stands for. I understand only 1-5% of folks are blessed to have witnessed programs that establish and preach the principles that create elite programs. If NC offense was even close to average, I'd never say anything. Access some offensive film and do 1% of the analysis I've done, then we can have an amazing talk about disciplined, fundamental coaching. I would love that.

Mind answering my question?

Info comes from watching last 20 games live to witness all aspects of momentum, injuries and all other aspects. Then reviewing every offensive play 3x in slow mo to analyze fundamentals and executions to help add higher level coaching to specific players. I get the "you're a mean bully" responses, but invest even 5% of the energy of dissecting me into analyzing anything more that a spliced highlight film of NC and you'll understand there are serious flaws in the teaching of fundamentals and no foundation of strategy to define what the offense stands for. I understand only 1-5% of folks are blessed to have witnessed programs that establish and preach the principles that create elite programs. If NC offense was even close to average, I'd never say anything. Access some offensive film and do 1% of the analysis I've done, then we can have an amazing talk about disciplined, fundamental coaching. I would love that.
Let’s face it, it’s back to reality for NC. They are no longer recruiting like the private schools. They are now a regular public school. Under Stine, they had a lot of great players. They were on the team illegally, but great players none the less. Drendel looked like he was an offensive guru Thursday night against a really good defense. I’m sure a lot of the NN fans didn’t think he was great a few years ago. But what can you do when you run a program with integrity and your sister school doesn’t. I’m a fan of Drendel, I’m glad he was able to stick around and get NN winning again. You need players to win. And even if you have players, you can have an off game. You obviously have a son on the team and are upset because he doesn’t play, doesn’t get enough touches, hasn’t received a Big Ten scholarship, or will not win a state championship like you did when you were in high school. Your complaining about how bad the coach is does not help the team. It’s not going to get him fired. Everyone can read between the lines. I think you are spending way too much time watching film and obsessing over it. There is more to life than high school football. NC has a winning record and are in the playoffs. Be happy about that and be happy for your son.

I found this interesting and looked up the Naperville/Aurora DVC schools.

W-White
A-Asian
H-Hispanic
AA- African American

NN - 59% W, 10% A, 12% H, 5% AA
NC - 66% W, 17% A, 9% H, 4% AA
NV - 49% W, 32% A, 8% H, 5% AA
WV - 42% W, 23% A, 18% H, 11% AA
MV - 36% W, 31% A, 14% H, 14% AA

The top public football school
LWE - 74% W, 4% A, 11% H, 8% AA

ADVERTISEMENT