ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Carmel fb future

olderbytheminute

Apr 6, 2019
I am old enough to remember when St. Laurence was the undisputed powerhouse in the Chicago Catholic League in an era when there were no IHSA playoffs.
I guess you could say what goes around, comes around (Ha!).
Anyway, because of youtube game coverage, I have become a bit familiar in recent years with Mt. Carmel football, and this is what I am wondering about....
When the Caravan won state in 2022, they had a great high school-level QB in Blainey Dowling.
When they repeated as state champs in 2023, they had a D-1 calibre running back in Dupree and an emerging high-quality high-school level QB in Jack Elliot and an O-line that protected him and made all types of pass plays doable.
This year, the team certainly could "3-peat" and if it does, it will likely be carried to the title by Elliott who seems to be counted on pretty much to do it all as the top rusher and effective passer.
What I wonder about is the 2025 season. For the current Mt. Carmel team, Elliot is pretty much a do-it-all offensive weapon. But what I don't see is any emerging underclass offensive weapons which the program will need to stay at the top of its game. ... especially true if it winds up playing 8A ball next November.
Other than the "they'll hit the transfer portal hard" response which I am not interested in hearing about, are there current Mt. Carmel players that are "hiding" so to speak ... being well hidden because of the enormous shadow that Elliot casts as the team's QB?
I have seen this year's backup QB play some fourth-quarter snaps but, of course, plays at that point in a game that's been decided don't tell me anything, and I have simply not seen anybody so far this fall at the offensive skill positions that gets me to say, "This kid is going to be the focal point of a high-scoring offense next fall."

I am old enough to remember when St. Laurence was the undisputed powerhouse in the Chicago Catholic League in an era when there were no IHSA playoffs.
Anyway, because of youtube game coverage, I have become a bit familiar in recent years with Mt. Carmel football, and this is what I am wondering about....
When the Caravan won state in 2022, they had a great high school-level QB in Blainey Dowling.
When they repeated as state champs in 2023, they had a D-1 calibre running back in Dupree and an emerging high-quality high-school level QB in Jack Elliot and an O-line that protected him and made all types of pass plays doable.
This year, the team certainly could "3-peat" and if it does, it will likely be carried to the title by Elliott who seems to be counted on pretty much to do it all as the top rusher and effective passer.
What I wonder about is the 2025 season. For the current Mt. Carmel team, Elliot is pretty much a do-it-all offensive weapon. But what I don't see is any emerging underclass offensive weapons which the program will need to stay at the top of its game. ... especially true if it winds up playing 8A ball next November.
Other than the "they'll hit the transfer portal hard" response which I am not interested in hearing about, are there current Mt. Carmel players that are "hiding" so to speak ... being well hidden because of the enormous shadow that Elliot casts as the team's QB?
I have seen this year's backup QB play some fourth-quarter snaps but, of course, plays at that point in a game that's been decided don't tell me anything, and I have simply not seen anybody so far this fall at the offensive skill positions that gets me to say, "This kid is going to be the focal point of a high-scoring offense next fall."
Have you seen #4 play? Quinton Burrell? He’s a Sophmore with 6TD receptions so far. 4 of the 5 offensive linemen are juniors. The defense has 3 Sophomore starters and 1 Freshman. The Freshman team this year is undefeated and haven’t been challenged really. They have an outstanding QB and a WR getting D1 notice already. And Jack Elliott had a little brother in the 8th grade so…. They will be fine for years to come.

Just relax. Everything will be fine. They might not be as dominant as the last few years, but still be 7/8A contenders every year--that's what MC football does.

Have you seen #4 play? Quinton Burrell? He’s a Sophmore with 6TD receptions so far. 4 of the 5 offensive linemen are juniors. The defense has 3 Sophomore starters and 1 Freshman. The Freshman team this year is undefeated and haven’t been challenged really. They have an outstanding QB and a WR getting D1 notice already. And Jack Elliott had a little brother in the 8th grade so…. They will be fine for years to come.
Having four soph/frosh starters on defense does explain why that side of the ball started the season slowly.
I give the defense credit for its play vs. St. Iggy two games ago. Iggy runs that offense that Army and Navy use that always gives teams trouble because they aren't used to seeing it and defending against it throughout the season.
I think it's what Cary-Grove ran to stymie East St. Louis in the playoffs twice in the past three years.
The Caravan defense did shut down Iggy's run game in the final 25 minutes of their game and because the game score flipped way in favor of MtC, Iggy was forced to pass and the team is not built to do that.
Anyway, I am thinking this might be Downers Grove North's year in 7A. Last year, they were a team on the rise and MtC was the veteran super-power. DGN hasn't played its two tough games yet so it's hard to say, but I am thinking this year, it is DGN that's the veteran super-power.
We shall find out in 9 weeks.

Reactions: MMA_Det
What are you talking about. They're young as it is and their lower levels are great.

Did I not see another Dowling play last night? He looked very much like his brother to me.

Reactions: Jenny27
Having four soph/frosh starters on defense does explain why that side of the ball started the season slowly.
I give the defense credit for its play vs. St. Iggy two games ago. Iggy runs that offense that Army and Navy use that always gives teams trouble because they aren't used to seeing it and defending against it throughout the season.
I think it's what Cary-Grove ran to stymie East St. Louis in the playoffs twice in the past three years.
The Caravan defense did shut down Iggy's run game in the final 25 minutes of their game and because the game score flipped way in favor of MtC, Iggy was forced to pass and the team is not built to do that.
Anyway, I am thinking this might be Downers Grove North's year in 7A. Last year, they were a team on the rise and MtC was the veteran super-power. DGN hasn't played its two tough games yet so it's hard to say, but I am thinking this year, it is DGN that's the veteran super-power.
We shall find out in 9 weeks.

What hard games does dgn have left to play.

I just hope that MC and DGN are on opposite sides of the bracket… you never know with the IHSA

In recent years, it was LA and MC at the top of the CCL. Seems as if LA is starting to slide a bit. MC is now the clear top program. Given the strength and talent of their lower levels, the only thing that might derail them in the near future would be Jordan Lynch leaving for another job.

I just hope that MC and DGN are on opposite sides of the bracket… you never know with the IHSA
It's 1-32 seeding so the IHSA has no control over that. If DGN can go undefeated, then I wouldn't be surprised if they or Batavia (assuming they beat Geneva) could be potentially the 1 & 2 seeds, respectively in 7A.

Not the first time I’ve seen you post this nonsense. DGN the #1 team in the State besides maybe ESL. Your afraid of MC? You’re lucky you don’t play LWE.
Give me a break #1 team. Stop it. I doubt they would beat CC. Put the sauce down and be happy your team is playing well.

York and Lyons are both 4-0. I know very little about that league, but it seems like there's been a lot of positive comment about both those teams this fall, but I clearly could be wrong about those two squads.

York is solid but they aren’t as good as they were the last couple years

a great high school-level QB in Blainey Dowling.
Before Blainey Dowling and Jack Elliott, there was Justin Lynch in 2019. And now Emmett Dowling is waiting in the wings. What they all have in common is coach Jordan Lynch, who is an exceptional groomer of quarterbacks. He also plugged TE Danyil Taylor into the running back position, an experiment that is working pretty well. To replace Taylor next year--or to augment him this year--he has three or four options to choose from--players who may not be RBs now but who, under his tutelege, could develop into stars. For example, sophomore linebacker Roman Igweguike, who has the instincts to play almost any position, could remind us of another LB/RB hybrid, Kenenna Odeluga.

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT