ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Carmel Offensive Football 2018 ?

To be fair East Side was battling injuries all season if I remember correctly.

Totally agree with you. Kids want to emulate what they see on TV and that’s he world we live in. Hopefully it works out for the best for MC. I’m waiting for the day that MC unveils multiple uniform options and special “playoff” helmets.

Kids want emulate what they see on TV...Generally. However, if feeder programs start with the same offense when the kids are 5, the TV influence is reduced...Kids in small towns where power run is the game grow up to prefer vicious tackling and pancaking defenders to pointlessly flinging the ball downfield...Whether the veer, triple option or double wing, those kids don't learn about slot receiver routes cause they don't have slot receivers...lol...but they love the double handoff

Totally agree with you. Kids want to emulate what they see on TV and that’s he world we live in. Hopefully it works out for the best for MC. I’m waiting for the day that MC unveils multiple uniform options and special “playoff” helmets.
Great story I heard I'll always give Brian Badke credit for. Month of October the Crusader players wanted to wear pink jerseys to honor breast cancer. Badke said instead of getting pink jerseys why don't we come in early on a Saturday morning and shake the can on the streets and make a donation in Rices teams name to Breast cancer. That idea didn't go over as well. This is not a knock on the kids, I'm sure every high schooler wanted the same, but I give props to Badke because he knew they wanted pink jerseys to emulate what the players on TV do.

Kids want emulate what they see on TV...Generally. However, if feeder programs start with the same offense when the kids are 5, the TV influence is reduced...Kids in small towns where power run is the game grow up to prefer vicious tackling and pancaking defenders to pointlessly flinging the ball downfield...Whether the veer, triple option or double wing, those kids don't learn about slot receiver routes cause they don't have slot receivers...lol...but they love the double handoff
That’s a great sentiment and I’m sure it still holds true in certain places. I’m sure after the past 2 years the kids who live in the Prairie Ridge feeder district probably want to grow up to run the option like Evans. Just like kids who were making hs decisions in the late 80’s or early 90’s wanted to run the option like mike mcgrew or mcnabb. Most catholic schools pull kids from many different areas and don’t have a feeder program that runs the exact same offense as the high school. Every kid nowadays sees college football every Saturday and more and more passing in the nfl every Sunday.

That’s a great sentiment and I’m sure it still holds true in certain places. ... Most catholic schools pull kids from many different areas and don’t have a feeder program that runs the exact same offense as the high school..

And this is exactly why I believe you hear less complaining about private schools and multipliers in the smaller classes. Smaller towns with stable programs who operate efficiently run the same offense starting with the 5 year olds...so the kids have 10+ years in the system when they get to high school. In many of these towns, the youth coaches played in the high school system, so they know exactly what is expected and how the base plays are run. Unfortunately, you also know who the QB will be in 6th grade. It is why the 3A powers of the state generally have coaching staffs who have been around 20+ years...

As well, many of the "spread" teams are really read-option run first programs to set up the pass. See, for example, the Juice Williams Rose Bowl Illini, or Ohio State. Illinois kids are probably not watching the wacky WAC...err the Mountain West, and more likely to watch Oklahoma than Baylor or Texas Tech. Wisconsin's power run is fun to watch... And some kids like to watch the academies triple option...

Even your traditional high school power run programs have integrated some sort of read-option to the high school system. Wilmington, for example, has been known to pull out the spread formation in the second quarter against Westmont and practice running the read option (real effective with a pair of all-state wings)...A lot of the Wilmo QB runs are actually QB read-options out of the double wing, although generally run inside the tackle rather than outside. Manteno, on the other hand, when the line is good is actually a run-first read option team...the last couple of years, however, poor O-lines have forced Haines to go empty set, running mostly jet sweeps and QB keepers (I foresee a return to the run-first read option this fall)...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT