ADVERTISEMENT

Montini - Sycamore

Can someone give me details on Sycamore this year?
Sycamore beat an undefeated Sterling team 35-7 in week nine. I'm not sure what that means in the big picture, but beware of the Spartans! If that Sycamore team shows up it could be one heck of a ballgame!

I've seen a few battles with them over the years. I'm sure no one in Lombard is counting a W yet.

What offense are they running?

Reactions: Gene K.
How many games do you think sycamore would win if they were in the Catholic league blue division ?

How many games do you think sycamore would win if they were in the Catholic league blue division ?
Good question, but they don't have to play in the Catholic League Blue. They just have to show up, in a big way on Saturday, and play Montini. Call me crazy, but I think they have a shot. Did the Catholic League Blue have a down year in 2018?

Good question, but they don't have to play in the Catholic League Blue. They just have to show up, in a big way on Saturday, and play Montini. Call me crazy, but I think they have a shot. Did the Catholic League Blue have a down year in 2018?
According to all of the arm chair experts I guess they did,so what is your answer

Did the Catholic League Blue have a down year in 2018?

Compared to past years yes, but the playoffs could shed new light. If BR and LA make a nice run and MCHS wins 5A I would say the demise of the Blue might have been prematurely called. 4 of 5 in the playoffs, 3 of the 4 still going. I would say in another year BR would be a considerable favorite to win 8A, but with LWE dropping the hammer everywhere I just don't see it happening.

The LA story is the odd duck here. What happened during that early to middle stretch? Are they over the hump? Time will tell.

Reactions: Q5clan and Gene K.
According to all of the arm chair experts I guess they did,so what is your answer
It's impossible to say, I have not seen either team or league in play. I've seen bits and pieces online. I am a Boylan Catholic fan, so my allegiance is toward the Catholic League. Having seen Sterling (once again, bits and pieces) online and being impressed, I was really Impressed when Sycamore defeated Sterling 35-7 in week nine. That, and that alone leads me to believe Sycamore has a shot at Montini. That said, I thought Montini had a shot at Brother Rice.

That's what makes this IHSA Playoff season so much fun! When you're dealing with 16-18-year-olds, anything can happen, and probably will! Good luck to all!

It's impossible to say, I have not seen either team or league in play. I've seen bits and pieces online. I am a Boylan Catholic fan, so my allegiance is toward the Catholic League. Having seen Sterling (once again, bits and pieces) online and being impressed, I was really Impressed when Sycamore defeated Sterling 35-7 in week nine. That, and that alone leads me to believe Sycamore has a shot at Montini. That said, I thought Montini had a shot at Brother Rice.

That's what makes this IHSA Playoff season so much fun! When you're dealing with 16-18-year-olds, anything can happen, and probably will! Good luck to all!
With all due respect to Sycamore, Sterling was missing there 2 best athletes in that game, they are back now for the playoffs and there were other issues that night, if the two meet again I think the outcome would be different, that said, Sycamore kicked our ass that night! I’ve seen both Montini and Sycamore this year and I feel this is going to be a shoot out, I’ll say whoever is at home wins.

Loyola is better than any of the teams we are talking about here in this thread including Montini (they easily dispensed with a good Minooka team and will likely beat an undefeated Oswego team at home Saturday), Brother Rice is at a different level this year, one close game all year (with Marist) and just loaded in all phases of the game. So Montini will not be shocked by anyone in 5A, that said a loss this weekend or in two weeks, if they win Saturday, is a real possibility. Have to play great football to get to the finals, like any year.

The LA story is the odd duck here. What happened during that early to middle stretch? Are they over the hump? Time will tell.

What happened was that Loyola lost three games. The Ramblers literally came within inches of beating MC on the final play of the game, but they fell short They gave up a lead in the final minute of the game to lose by 1 pt to the Broncos. They crapped the bed against a very good BR team that will likely go far in 8A.

And, all that happened while they were bitten pretty badly by the injury bug at QB, WR, RB, and DB.

What happened was that Loyola lost three games. The Ramblers literally came within inches of beating MC on the final play of the game, but they fell short They gave up a lead in the final minute of the game to lose by 1 pt to the Broncos. They crapped the bed against a very good BR team that will likely go far in 8A.

And, all that happened while they were bitten pretty badly by the injury bug at QB, WR, RB, and DB.

They should have lost to IGGY

I like this rivalry. Bad blood from the sycamore side. I remember after one of their losses to Montini one of their local papers wrote a story bashing Montini and pretty much all private schools.

I like this rivalry. Bad blood from the sycamore side. I remember after one of their losses to Montini one of their local papers wrote a story bashing Montini and pretty much all private schools.
i think it was after the game played at Montini where Broncos kicked a 35yder to win by 2 pts with 2 seconds left in the game. kicker went on to kick D1 somewhere..... yep, certainly a precursor to the success factor and Sycamore's sponsorship of SF.

I remember that too. Classic whining.

This game vexes me a bit. In my gut I am saying well Montini by three scores, also let me know zero evidence to back that up. I don’t doubt sycamore is a tough team I’ve never watched them. What do people think are the keys to this game? Why such a close game? Is Montini not as good as people thought? Is Sycamore better than we think? I like to look at strength of schedule and what a team does in that schedule. Would it be fair to say that Sycamore had about the same type of schedule in terms of difficult teams and atmospheres as Montini?

i think people are saying Sycamore is as good as Montini. and that Montini will have to play well to beat this Sycamore team. Montini as a solid defense and a pretty good RPO offense. haven't seen sycamore.

Reactions: Wassup13

That happened after Montini beat Sycamore at Montini. There was a video in the article with a Montini db intercepting a pass late in the game. The pass was ruled an interception but if you looked closely the ball had touched the ground.

Well, the Sycamore people were filmed screaming about what they though was bad officiating and bias for Montini. When the writer who bashed Catholic schools wrote his crap he brought up the interception. There were two problems with his attacking Montini........the pass was on fourth down so the interception didn't matter and Montini was leading.

But the realfacts don't matter here.

That happened after Montini beat Sycamore at Montini. There was a video in the article with a Montini db intercepting a pass late in the game. The pass was ruled an interception but if you looked closely the ball had touched the ground.

Well, the Sycamore people were filmed screaming about what they though was bad officiating and bias for Montini. When the writer who bashed Catholic schools wrote his crap he brought up the interception. There were two problems with his attacking Montini........the pass was on fourth down so the interception didn't matter and Montini was leading.

But the realfacts don't matter here.
aren't refs for playoffs picked by IHSA?

Who was the Sycamore kid who went to Iowa? He and Nile Sykes from Montini were matched up against each other in coverage when Sycamore had the ball.

It was a great matchup to watch.

Saturday's game will be determined in the last 2 minutes of the game. This game like always is a draw.

Who was the Sycamore kid who went to Iowa? He and Nile Sykes from Montini were matched up against each other in coverage when Sycamore had the ball.

Saturday's game will be determined in the last 2 minutes of the game. This game like always is a draw.
I pretty sure there has only been 1 close game since 2010.

Reactions: HighSchooldad
Looked up the scores most recent games

2007 14-3 this was a 7-3 game late
2009 31-17 top running back for sycamore was injured
2010 28-7
2012 24-22 late field goal by MCHS
2013 42-20

TeeOh,

I was at many of these games and it felt a lot closer than those final scores.

Ben Niemann played linebacker at Iowa and came from Sycamore. His name just came back to me. Watching Niemann vs Sykes in the playoffs years ago was great. Both could really play.

Last edited:

A draw? Has Sycamore ever beaten mchs?

Satistical data on both teams:

Points scored Points Given up

Sycamore 228 80

Montini 317 84

I know statistics don't tell the entire story but it is food for thought. Depending on whether you think the CCL Blue is weaker this year or not and whether you think the Northern Illinois Big 12 is as good or better than the CCL is the big question. Out of the 84 points scored against Montini, 59 of those points were to Loyola and Brother Rice. Montini first two games were against what some posters have called cup cakes and neither team scored a point against them.

Sycamore played Westinghouse and Burlington Central and neither team was very good. Sycamore beat some good teams in its conference notably Sterling by a big score. Sycamore appears to have a very good defense and good offense.

IMO, the keys to the game will be whether Sycamore can stop the running game of Montini and score enough points against a very solid Montini defense. The Broncos need to run the ball early and often to open up the passing game. If RB Fendanzo gets to the second level we have not seen anyone who can beat him to the goal line.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Sounds like your predicting a Montini blowout. Nill big is not even close to the ccl blue. Thanks for all of the stats , but unless they are against the same teams, there useless.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
I am not in anyway predicting a Montini blow out but just throwing some statistics out to get some feedback on this game from people from the NIB12. Agree they have not played the same teams but showing that both teams have good defenses and good offenses. I do think Montini played a tougher schedule this year but anything can happen in the playoffs. Go Broncos!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT