ADVERTISEMENT

MMXXIV Edition - CCL-ESCC Predictions Week IV

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
As we approach the turn, a tip of the tam o' shanter to undefeated St Francis, Marist, DePaul, St Viator, Benet Academy and St Laurence. Recall that in the old days, an 8-1 record wouldn't guarantee you a playoff berth - only an undefeated record would. With that in mind, I'd probably go with the Wednesday afternoon game between Viator and Deerfield or maybe the Laurence-Stagg matchup. Then I'd watch Tim Weigel eagerly hoping he'd report the Benet-Ridgewood and Marist-Bogan scores.

BR @ LA
regular season (neutral field)
[2024] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 38 (87%), [2024] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 21 (13%)
SI @ MC
[2024] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 49 (90%), [2024] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 28 (10%)
SR @ SF
[2024] St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 20 (80%), [2024] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 7 (20%)
ICP @ Naz
[2024] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 38 (88%), [2024] Immaculate Conception (Elmhurst, IL) 19 (12%)
Marist @ JC
[2024] Marist (Chicago, IL) 24 (60%), [2024] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 20 (40%)
ND @ PC
[2024] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 20 (80%), [2024] Notre Dame (Niles, IL) 7 (20%)
SV @ BA
[2024] Benet Academy (Lisle, IL) 24 (65%), [2024] St. Viator (Arlington Heights, IL) 17 (35%)
SP @ DP
[2024] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 31 (75%), [2024] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 20 (25%)
MA @ DLS
[2024] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 38 (94%), [2024] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 14 (6%)
Leo @ Marian, Heights
[2024] Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL) 22 (86%), [2024] Leo (Chicago, IL) 6 (14%)
SL @ CoM
[2024] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 31 (58%), [2024] Carmel (Mundelein, IL) 28 (42%)
MCHS @ F
[2024] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 22 (86%), [2024] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 6 (14%)

Last edited:
Not the best week for me last week. The Ramblers should stick to Saturday afternoon games. I stand with the Wilmette millionaires! If I won't, who will! Some really great matchups this week. Hard to pick one GOTW.

BR +17 vs Loyola. Seems as though the computer still thinks this is your standard LA team. Results show otherwise. Another night game in Wilmette. The locals cower in fear as the Southsiders invade. After dropping two in a row to fellow Southside teams, BR has its back against the wall. They come out hungry and their defense shuts the Ramblers down. 17-10 Brother Rice.

MC -21 vs Iggy. Wolfpack got a massive win last week vs IC. Looking at their schedule, it will still be an uphill climb to get to 5 wins. Life in the Blue. Carvan secondary is concerning, but that shouldn't be an issue vs the Iggy offense. 49-22 Caravan.

Rita +13 vs WSF. The Spartans turned a lot of heads last week handling LA in Wilmette. They return home to the land of many Christians. Not to be outdone, the Mustangs rode their defense to a big win over a Southside rival. This one has the makings of a GOTW. 24-17 St. Francis.

Naz -19 vs IC. IC seems a bit down this year. They only beat CPS Bronzeville 1-0! At least according to my IHSA.com research. 48-14 Naz.

Marist -4 vs JCA. Interesting matchup. I think Marist's defense limits JCA's offense as both teams struggle to get much going. Another GOTW contender! 14-7 Marist.

Providence -13 vs ND. Dons blanked by StL last week. Life doesn't get any easier this week as they have to travel to New Lenox. Interestingly, the Celtics have scored 22, 23, 24 in their first three games. So I'll go with....25-3 Celtics.

Benet -7 vs Viator. As a strong #BenetBeliever, this, to me, is a "prove it" game. Both of these teams fall into the "solid, not great" category. I give the edge to the Redwings at home. 27-14 Benet.

Pat's +11 vs DePaul. Nice local rivalry game. The Rams are 3-0 but don't have an overly impressive resume. Shamrocks won an ugly game last week vs mighty Leo. I think this one is a toss-up. Shamrocks defense + excellent FG kicker keeps it close. 14-9 Rams.

Marmion -24 vs DLS. Cadets have a path to five wins. This is one of their "must-win" games. DLS hasn't looked good vs its two opponents with a pulse. Unfortunately for them, Marmion has a pulse. 35-7 Marmion.

Leo +16 vs Marian Catholic. Thought the Lions played well last week vs Pat's. Strong defensive effort. A few unfortunate TOs. They'll continue to scratch and claw. 20-13 Marian Catholic.

CoM +3 vs StL. Another GOTW contender! Both teams had impressive wins last week. I think this one is a toss-up but give the edge to the Corsairs as it's a long trek to Mundelein. 21-17 Carmel.

Montini +16 vs Fenwick. Despite losing 21-6 last week vs Marist, I have been impressed by Montini. Their defense is stout and they can do just enough on offense to keep them in some games. Fenwick dropped a tough one vs JCA. This one has the makings of a one score game, 16 is way too much. 21-14 Frairs.

Loyola Academy -17
Mount Carmel -21
St. Francis -13
Nazareth Academy -19
Joliet Catholic Academy +4
Providence Catholic -13
St. Viator +7
DePaul College Prep -11
Marmion Academy -24
Marian Catholic -16
Carmel +3
Montini Catholic +16

LA -17....tough call. Fitzgerald back. Ramblers bounce back with a convincing win under the lights at home.
MC -21....Caravan impressive against Naz. The offense is lights out.
St. Francis....I'm a believer. Are the Spartans the 5A favorites? I'm inclined to say yes.
Naz -19....could someone explain to me why IC is in the Green?
Marist -4....Hilltopper D playing well. QB Ritter will be a big test. JCA offense can't seem to get going. Should be a very physical game.
Provi -13....must win for the Celtics.
Benet -7....is this the best Benet team in years?
Pat's +11
Marmion -24
Leo +16
CoM +3....the Corsairs get a big comeback win against Provi on the road. The Vikings have been impressive. Are they for real? We will find out this week. GOTW.
Montini +16...was impressed with Fenwick against JCA. The Friars will win, but the Broncos will keep it close.

Loyola 37 Brother Rice 27 (+17): The loser of this game will be 1-3?! While I fully expect both teams to be in the playoffs, it's not what most of us had in mind for either program.

Mount Carmel 49 St. Ignatius 35 (+21): I'm no Caravan historian, but this has to be one of their greatest offenses combined with a sub standard defense in recent memory. Their defense may not be MC standard, it doesn't need to be when the offense is a machine.

Saint Francis 24 Saint Rita 14 (+13): St. Francis with perhaps their greatest non playoff victory in school history will have to earn this victory against the Ponies.

Nazareth 45 (-19) ICP 24: Naz takes care of their "admissions" rival in the Insane Clown Posse

Joliet Catholic 23 (+4) Marist 21: Everything tells me to pick Marist. So that's why I'm picking JCA.

Providence 24 (-13) Notre Dame 10: ND just doesn't have the horses to score enough

Saint Viator 34 (+7) Benet 27: The opposite of the Rice Loyola game in that the winner of this will be 4-0! This should be an excellent sporting contest.

DePaul 26 Saint Patrick 19 (+11): GOTW! Essentially a playoff game for both teams. St. Pat's has been looking for another Catholic rival since Weber and Holy Cross have closed and DePaul seems to be calling them out (nothing nefarious. Just fun) on Social Media. Shamrocks seem to have strong defense, but they don't seem to have the ability to score. Rams earn their 4th win of the season!

Marmion 35 (-24) De La Salle 6: DLS just can't compete with anyone who takes football remotely serious right now

Marian of the Heights 34 (-18) Leo 13: Marian can't take any chances as their path to 5 is very bleak now.

Carmel 34 (+3) St. Laurence 30: I still am rolling with the Corsairs until they lose a game before they meet up with Loyola.

Fenwick 17 Montini 13 (+18): A hard fought battle in which the Friars earn the W

I agree Crown ‘em! I said it Friday I’m not sure how anyone comes within two scores of them the rest of the way.
Honestly insulted that you think anyone keeps the clock stopped the entire game. First quarter running clocks until 2026 is the only appropriate answer #Frannyville #Tuccsbrain

Showing up late to the party on these like I did last season.

Loyola -17 Loyola reminds everyone who they are

Mount Carmel -21 Caravan with too much talent

Saint Rita +13: Franny snuck up on a Loyola team who underestimated them. They will not have the same luxury against the Mustangs. I got Franny on upset alert here.

Nazareth -19 I’m not sure how good ICCP is this year, I think Naz by a lot.

Marist -4 Fitzgerald left Franny high and dry back in the day…but he’s a hell of a football coach. Marist by 10.

Providence -13 Plantz will have them ready.

Benet +7 Sure why not

Saint Patrick +11 Mertens gets something rolling at Pats

Marmion -24 Cadets get the W

Leo +16 Scrappy Leo team keeps it closer than most think

Carmel +3: A talented Corsairs team gets rolling.

Montini +16: Too many points not to take the Broncos here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignazio
Honestly insulted that you think anyone keeps the clock stopped the entire game. First quarter running clocks until 2026 is the only appropriate answer #Frannyville #Tuccsbrain
All joking aside I do honestly believe they are the favorites to win this year. Naz returns experience for sure but Fitz or no Fitz down year or not they beat Loyola Naz is 2-1 squeaked by Kankakee and was beaten soundly by MC. Franny sitting in the driver seat at 3-0 with quality wins.

Loyola -17
MC -21
Rita +13
Naz -19
Marist -4
Providence -13
Benet -7
DePaul -11
Marion -24
Marian -16
Carmel +3
Montini +16

The Buffoon provides us with top-tier analysis of the motivational psychology for our matchups above. A+ work. This is a very serious week in CCLESCC football. LA and BR will be playing hot potato with the Prep Bowl invite under the lights (The Curse of Debbie). And a few teams are praying that their 4-5 record will be their ticket for the IHSAs. I think the spreads are out the window at this point.
BR @ LA
LA will pull off a close one. BR +17
SI @ MC
Black and Blue Division. SI
SR @ SF
SR (outright) but I'll take the points.
ICP @ Naz
No chance to rest the starters. Naz
Marist @ JC
'Skins all the way.
ND @ PC
Go Irish. Celts.
SV @ BA
Lions
SP @ DP
I'll take Pats and the points. I'm told they have a solid linebacker.
MA @ DLS
Woof. I'll take the Cadets.
Leo @ Marian, Heights
Lions.
SL @ CoM
Here's a game of the week. Vikes bring the lumber. Is their QB bringing a merch table? Vikes.
MCHS @ F
Broncs scheduled smartly, but still need this one. Bronco.

Reactions: k1867
Loyola -17
MC -21
Rita +13
Naz -19
Marist -4
Provi -13
Viator +7
Depaul Prep -11
Marmion -24
Marian catholic -16
Carmel +3
Montini +16

All joking aside I do honestly believe they are the favorites to win this year. Naz returns experience for sure but Fitz or no Fitz down year or not they beat Loyola Naz is 2-1 squeaked by Kankakee and was beaten soundly by MC. Franny sitting in the driver seat at 3-0 with quality wins.
Until the clocks strikes 0:00 and Naz is officially 100% elimnated from the equation they are the favorites. I’ve seen enough undertaker type s*** from them the last two years to believe otherwise.

Loyola -17
MC -21
Rita +13
Naz -19
Marist -4
ND +13
Viator +7
Depaul Prep -11
Marmion -24
Marian catholic -16
Carmel +3
Montini +16