ADVERTISEMENT

Minooka Jurys Out? or Force to be reckoned with?

saints78

Apr 30, 2011
Hello all,

I noticed that Minooka is a 4-0 to start the season. However the combined record of the teams they beat is 1-15.

How would you assess them in the 2nd half of the season I was at first impressed by the Neaqua Valley win but they sit at 0-4.

Does anyone have any insights?

Hello all,

I noticed that Minooka is a 4-0 to start the season. However the combined record of the teams they beat is 1-15.

How would you assess them in the 2nd half of the season I was at first impressed by the Neaqua Valley win but they sit at 0-4.

Does anyone have any insights?
Won't know much of anything until they play their competitive teams this season. Oswego will be the barometer. Oswego handled Neuqua much more handily than Minooka was able. If they can stay competitive with Oswego, then perhaps they can contend with some of the best in 8A.

Plainfield North, Yorkville, the Brook, and Oswego East will be decent tests too. At least better than their current 4 games on the schedule. If they are for real though, they should be able to handle those four schools and stay somewhat competitive with Oswego.

If they want to take that next step, this is a program that should be seeking out really difficult week 1 and 2 games.

Yeah early schedule was not very good......talked tonight about how I think the entire conference will have lower scoring games very tight games as well....

Won't know much of anything until they play their competitive teams this season. Oswego will be the barometer. Oswego handled Neuqua much more handily than Minooka was able. If they can stay competitive with Oswego, then perhaps they can contend with some of the best in 8A.

Plainfield North, Yorkville, the Brook, and Oswego East will be decent tests too. At least better than their current 4 games on the schedule. If they are for real though, they should be able to handle those four schools and stay somewhat competitive with Oswego.

If they want to take that next step, this is a program that should be seeking out really difficult week 1 and 2 games.
Thank you!! That is what I thought I live district and want to see them do well. Hopefully they finish strong I bet they figured Neaqua would be better.

Years ago they would play Morris Or Providence early in the season I wish they would go back to that !!!

Reactions: 4Afan
Thank you!! That is what I thought I live district and want to see them do well. Hopefully they finish strong I bet they figured Neaqua would be better.

Years ago they would play Morris Or Providence early in the season I wish they would go back to that !!!
They played Morris because it was a conference game. Would love to see this be a regular non conference matchup.

They played Morris because it was a conference game. Would love to see this be a regular non conference matchup.
2011 through 2014 they opened the season with Morris and it was non conference. They also played Providence week 2 each of those years.

Reactions: 4Afan
Disagree 1000 percent....been trying to get Minooka to leave behind it's past....focus on bigger targets and bigger programs to compete against. Do you all realize that Minooka's enrollment continues to grown and once the economy really gets going Minooka will have another huge boost in numbers and become well over 3K students versus what 850 in Morris? Aim higher aim for the LWE and Swagger High's of the worlds please. Love Morris no question but for Minooka it's time to move on and has been for some time now

Disagree 1000 percent....been trying to get Minooka to leave behind it's past....focus on bigger targets and bigger programs to compete against. Do you all realize that Minooka's enrollment continues to grown and once the economy really gets going Minooka will have another huge boost in numbers and become well over 3K students versus what 850 in Morris? Aim higher aim for the LWE and Swagger High's of the worlds please. Love Morris no question but for Minooka it's time to move on and has been for some time now
Spot on Edgy.

Neuqua and Rock Island were reasonable "challenging" matchups with a mid tier 8A team and a decent 6A program when Minooka was aspiring to occasionally make the playoffs. Now if they actually desire to win 8A playoff games regularly, and acknowledging that their league is historically a poor preparation for 8A playoff success (Oswego this year being the exception) they absolutely need to seek out the toughest they can find in weeks 1 and 2 before 2 cupcakes and an average to below average 8A league. LWE and Maine South caliber finds for weeks 1 and 2 are what they need if they are serious.

With what they're constantly dumping into improvements they should be better. More improvements on the way.

The improvements are only like 20 years too late but are stil, a very welcomed sight......this schools facilities had not been touched since the 1970's and they finally have a very respectable football stadium and improved weight room. Field house should have been built when they opened the Channahon South campus but that was yet another misstep they are starting to get past finally.

Also this district has been for the most part very responsible financially...example our grade school district has sent back actual tax refund checks three out of the last four years (Covid year they held off just in case) and trust me they are very nice checks....we are talking like a house payment check amount.

Upgrade the non-con schedule? Yes. LWE? No. Win a few playoff games before they consider that level of competition.

The improvements are only like 20 years too late but are stil, a very welcomed sight......this schools facilities had not been touched since the 1970's and they finally have a very respectable football stadium and improved weight room. Field house should have been built when they opened the Channahon South campus but that was yet another misstep they are starting to get past finally.

Also this district has been for the most part very responsible financially...example our grade school district has sent back actual tax refund checks three out of the last four years (Covid year they held off just in case) and trust me they are very nice checks....we are talking like a house payment check amount.
That was CSD17 (K-8) that sent tax refund checks. It's a top notch district. I'm in Minooka CCSD201 (K-8), not so much and I'll leave it at that.

Upgrade the non-con schedule? Yes. LWE? No. Win a few playoff games before they consider that level of competition.
A few years ago the Chanooka Braves (JFL) played the Lincoln Ways, New Lenox Mustangs, Lemont, etc. They got waxed every time. They moved to a difference conference, playing most of the teams in ICE, and they're consistently at the top, even winning a few super bowl titles. Minooka is just weird district pulling from Minooka, Channahon, Shorewood, and parts of Troy, Joliet, and Yorkville.

I would argue that you can't expect to win many 8A playoff games if you have been tested once all year. LWE is likely going to handle them by 5 scores, but why not do that week 1 and 2 when you have 4-5 guaranteed wins and maybe a total of 2-3 close games the entire rest of the schedule?

I agree, their lack of historical success says it makes no sense to schedule LWE. But if they stick with the current scheduling process or only nominally bump up week 1 and 2 competition, I don't see them breaking the cycle of underperformance. It's a tricky cycle to break.

Opening with LWE and Lockport or perhaps Maine South and Warren or maybe Brother Rice and Edwardsville is totally fine, especially when you have cupcake city weeks 3 and 4 and then only a handful of deep playoff caliber teams to play weeks 5-9.

They have spent 20 years (or maybe 40+ years) just hoping for a playoff berth. If they are truly at the point now where they want to get past the second round regularly in 8A, then they need to stop worrying about 5 wins and realize that if scheduling a big dog is what prevents them from the fifth win, then they were never going anywhere anyway. A 5-6 win team in that league isn't going anywhere in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Cannot disagree with your thought process here, but until they prove otherwise that's the competition level Minooka is currently at. Morris/Minooka would be a competitive game in most years which would obviously benefit Morris in the long run more than Minooka, but until they could continually trounce a team like Morris I think making the jump to LWE or Swagger is skipping a step or two.

Start with scheduling a team like Morris and also maybe a LWW, LWC, or Brother Rice, Marisa if you wanna go the private route. Then if and when you annually win those games then look to step up to the big boys.

Regardless of how many students they may eventually have do you think their conference holds them back? Outside of Oswego, and Yorkville had some solid teams for a few years, who in that conference gets Minooka ready for the playoffs and would consistently push them and make them better?

A few years ago the Chanooka Braves (JFL) played the Lincoln Ways, New Lenox Mustangs, Lemont, etc. They got waxed every time. They moved to a difference conference, playing most of the teams in ICE, and they're consistently at the top, even winning a few super bowl titles. Minooka is just weird district pulling from Minooka, Channahon, Shorewood, and parts of Troy, Joliet, and Yorkville.
In my pee wee days (late 80s-mid90s) playing for the Grundy County Chiefs we always played Chinooka along with most of the current ICE teams and the Braves would usually range from an easy win to a very competitive game thst we would sometimes win and sometimes lose.

That seems to carry over to HS as well. Many thought that Tom Peterson (RIP) started something by taking them to their first 3 playoff appearances and then Dan Sharp followed that up with some success, including what I believe was Minooka's first victory over Morris. However they have never made the playoffs more than 4 years in a row.

Those with more knowledge than me can hopefully help me out. Is Minooka able to keep its top talent in house? I feel like I've heard multiple times that JCA does pretty well getting kids from Minooka to go to JCA. That could be a reason for them never having consistent success.

For reference:
Football
Playoff Qualifier (21): 1986-87 (4A), 1987-88 (4A), 1988-89 (3A), 1989-90 (3A), 1994-95 (4A), 1995-96 (4A), 1996-97 (4A), 1997-98 (5A), 2001-02 (6A), 2002-03 (6A), 2003-04 (6A), 2009-10 (7A), 2010-11 (7A), 2011-12 (8A), 2015-16 (8A), 2017-18 (8A), 2018-19 (8A), 2019-20 (8A), 2021-22 (8A), 2022-23 (8A), 2023-24 (8A).

For reference:
Football
Playoff Qualifier (21): 1986-87 (4A), 1987-88 (4A), 1988-89 (3A), 1989-90 (3A), 1994-95 (4A), 1995-96 (4A), 1996-97 (4A), 1997-98 (5A), 2001-02 (6A), 2002-03 (6A), 2003-04 (6A), 2009-10 (7A), 2010-11 (7A), 2011-12 (8A), 2015-16 (8A), 2017-18 (8A), 2018-19 (8A), 2019-20 (8A), 2021-22 (8A), 2022-23 (8A), 2023-24 (8A).
It makes so much sense when you spell it out so clearly like this.

Cannot disagree with your thought process here, but until they prove otherwise that's the competition level Minooka is currently at. Morris/Minooka would be a competitive game in most years which would obviously benefit Morris in the long run more than Minooka, but until they could continually trounce a team like Morris I think making the jump to LWE or Swagger is skipping a step or two.

Start with scheduling a team like Morris and also maybe a LWW, LWC, or Brother Rice, Marisa if you wanna go the private route. Then if and when you annually win those games then look to step up to the big boys.

Regardless of how many students they may eventually have do you think their conference holds them back? Outside of Oswego, and Yorkville had some solid teams for a few years, who in that conference gets Minooka ready for the playoffs and would consistently push them and make them better?
PN in most years is better than Yorkville and consistently is the only one who can beat Oswego.

Same here, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say minooka don’t want none of jca if you know what I mean!💪
Well I am going to agree that the game would not end well for Minooka most years. However, that is a game that would do nothing positive for Joliet Catholic were it to be scheduled. Minooka has become a decent-ish program and it would be a fun neighborhood game, but that is where the appeal ends.

The perception in the area, real or imagined, is generally that JC is a way better program that will play way better competition throughout the year. In short, a good handful of athletes from the Minooka district recognize this and have been driving the 7-15 miles to Joliet for decades now.

So if that is the perception-real or imagined-it does JC no good to risk that perception. Sure, some years they may beat Minooka handily. But in a year where it is a nailbiter or Minooka pulls one out, then that puts a dent in the perception that attracts a healthy handful of athletes from that direction every year. JC would have nothing really to gain and much to lose. Kinda like it didn't make a ton of sense for PC to schedule LWE in the mid 2000s when PC had all the momentum as a program and LWE was an upstart. When LWE started winning those games, that coincided with other factors that led to PC's leveling off for a long stretch.

Although they play in baseball and volleyball most years and I suppose we get the mixed results slanted a little more toward JC and that hasn't really hurt their ability to pull student athletes in those sports form the Minooka area, so perhaps I am overthinking it and we should just let the fun game happen.

Kinda like it didn't make a ton of sense for PC to schedule LWE in the mid 2000s when PC had all the momentum as a program and LWE was an upstart. When LWE started winning those games, that coincided with other factors that led to PC's leveling off for a long stretch.
100% agree. A decision that was lose-lose for PC and it cost them greatly. Great move by Coach Z.

Totally agree Edgy. It was fun seeing them play LWE a few years back. They lost at home but I bet that game grew the program leaps and bounds. If you’re trying to get better you have to play tough teams, especially ones right in your backyard.
That said being a big LWE fan it doesn’t necessarily help the Griffins, I would rather East schedule out of conference games against ESL, MC teams etc that help them get better.

Last edited:
100% agree. A decision that was lose-lose for PC and it cost them greatly. Great move by Coach Z.
It was great for the players and community. Those games were always fun. I know it’s been said before but I would love to see LWE play JCA. That would be a fan game. You all know I like seeing teams that have never played each other. Another game I would love to see that probably will never happen is Cary Grove vs LWE. I think it would be great. CC is very tough and I always liked them because how they go above their business very similar to LWE. They are both very well coached.

Reactions: rjjtwest
It was great for the players and community. Those games were always fun. I know it’s been said before but I would love to see LWE play JCA. That would be a fan game. You all know I like seeing teams that have never played each other. Another game I would love to see that probably will never happen is Cary Grove vs LWE. I think it would be great. CC is very tough and I always liked them because how they go above their business very similar to LWE. They are both very well coached.
Or Cary-Grove v JCA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT