ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Reverses Course - Fall Sports Back On

What decision do you think they wanted to make? If it was to have football in the fall, then why wait so long to make a different decision? Why not just make the "let's play football in the fall" decision in June, let the governor overrule it, and then the IHSA does not look like the bad guy.

FWIW, the IHSA press release about the decision makes ZERO mention of the governor's guidelines that came out that same day. In fact, it says that the IHSA decisions would be presented to the IDPH for final approval.

And another thing...the governor has established "guidelines" for youth sports. Guidelines are different from executive orders. What consequences are there if the guidelines are not followed? Seems to me if the IHSA wanted to play football in the fall, they could. In that case, they would not be following "guidelines." BFD
The guidelines handed down by IDPH, make it impossible to successfully conduct most sports. Same with in-person schooling, which is why most districts retracted at about that time.

What decision do you think they wanted to make? If it was to have football in the fall, then why wait so long to make that decision on July 29?

Because of a very rotund self proclaimed King constantly moving the goal posts sometimes by the hour.

And a little "If you would like to remain an Illinois Agency you will...."

DISCLAIMER: if your Quoted Post looks funny, I seem to be finding a pretty serious Glitch in the new Forum formatting and had to do it manually. Every time I clicked Quote & Reply on that post it gave me a different Quote from one of your earlier posts in this thread.

Ramblinman is the only person I have seen that thinks JB has no influence over what the IHSA has been doing. He is just arguing to argue.

Did you see what Michigan did? The MHSAA exerted THEIR influence on their democratic governor, and she changed her position.

Perhaps the IHSA should grow a pair if it really wants football in the fall.

Because of a very rotund self proclaimed King constantly moving the goal posts sometimes by the hour.

And a little "If you would like to remain an Illinois Agency you will...."

DISCLAIMER: if your Quoted Post looks funny, I seem to be finding a pretty serious Glitch in the new Forum formatting and had to do it manually. Every time I clicked Quote & Reply on that post it gave me a different Quote from one of your earlier posts in this thread.

Since when did the IHSA become an "Illinois Agency?" Not sure what that means but it sounds like something governmental or quasi-governmental. Last I looked, the IHSA was an incorporated association of member schools, both public and private.

The guidelines handed down by IDPH, make it impossible to successfully conduct most sports. Same with in-person schooling, which is why most districts retracted at about that time.

What's a "guideline?" How is it enforced? What consequences are there for not following it?

And you are 100% wrong about the guidelines making it impossible to conduct in person schooling. There are MANY schools in Illinois that have kids in the classrooms. Look around.

Last edited:
What decision do you think they wanted to make? If it was to have football in the fall, then why wait so long to make a different decision? Why not just make the "let's play football in the fall" decision in June, let the governor overrule it, and then the IHSA does not look like the bad guy.

FWIW, the IHSA press release about the decision makes ZERO mention of the governor's guidelines that came out that same day. In fact, it says that the IHSA decisions would be presented to the IDPH for final approval.

And another thing...the governor has established "guidelines" for youth sports. Guidelines are different from executive orders. What consequences are there if the guidelines are not followed? Seems to me if the IHSA wanted to play football in the fall, they could. In that case, they would not be following "guidelines." BFD
I am not sure if you are utilizing blissful ignorance here, or if you truly believe that JBs politics have nothing to do with the IHSA not playing in the Fall. It's very evident-regardless of your political affiliation- that he does not like the current POTUS and will do all in his power to derail him. Unfortunately, many people have suffered bc of this. Small business owners, children, those with mental health issues, those with medical needs, etc. From all accounts, the IHSA wanted to proceed with sports, but JB did not. The map of those states playing vs not playing is pretty clear red v blue. You really think JB cares about you or anyone in IL? He cares about himself. Period.

I am not sure if you are utilizing blissful ignorance here, or if you truly believe that JBs politics have nothing to do with the IHSA not playing in the Fall. It's very evident-regardless of your political affiliation- that he does not like the current POTUS and will do all in his power to derail him. Unfortunately, many people have suffered bc of this. Small business owners, children, those with mental health issues, those with medical needs, etc. From all accounts, the IHSA wanted to proceed with sports, but JB did not. The map of those states playing vs not playing is pretty clear red v blue. You really think JB cares about you or anyone in IL? He cares about himself. Period.

TBH, I really don't care much for JB. I just feel as though people here are finding him a convenient scapegoat when the IHSA, a private association of member schools, is getting a free pass.

I'm not saying that JB's politics have NOTHING to do with it, however, I do think that the IHSA CHOSE the course of action that it took. Some here think they were forced into it, but I think they could have played hardball if they wanted. They are not a state agency. If they really wanted to play, then force the state's hand. Make them direct the IHSA that they cannot. Instead, they caved at the first sniff of "guidelines."

It is worth noting that Michigan, a state run by a blue governor, just reversed course relative to football. She doesn't like the current POTUS either. Would she have reversed course without being publicly asked to by the MHSAA? Doubtful. Where's the outrage directed at the IHSA?

Since when did the IHSA become an "Illinois Agency?" Not sure what that means but it sounds like something governmental or quasi-governmental. Last I looked, the IHSA was an incorporated association of member schools, both public and private.
You are aware that IHSA stands for "Illinois High School Association" correct? And although they are technically not an Illinois Agency which more or less only means they are not directly funded by the state, that they have to abide by all of the Illinois rules and regulation and they would never survive a full week in court against the State of Illinois.

So yeah they have all the disadvantages of being a state agency and none of the benefits of being an independent association.

Yes they could/should have taken a stronger stance in favor of fall sports but they were also looking at spending more than their entire budget (in a normal year) on court cases and lawyers to take that route.

You are aware that IHSA stands for "Illinois High School Association" correct? And although they are technically not an Illinois Agency which more or less only means they are not directly funded by the state, that they have to abide by all of the Illinois rules and regulation and they would never survive a full week in court against the State of Illinois.

So yeah they have all the disadvantages of being a state agency and none of the benefits of being an independent association.

Yes they could/should have taken a stronger stance in favor of fall sports but they were also looking at spending more than their entire budget (in a normal year) on court cases and lawyers to take that route.

Completely agree that the IHSA needs to follow Illinois rules and regulations.

Two questions for you, counselor: Are "guidelines" the same as rules and regulations relative to compliance or the failure to comply? Specifically, what consequences are in place for those individuals or entities that fail to comply with "guidelines?"

Last edited:

Two questions for you, counselor: Are "guidelines" the same as rules and regulations relative to compliance or the failure to comply? Specifically, what consequences are in place for those individuals or entities that fail to comply with "guidelines?"
My guess is that failure to comply means JB uses his political power to make life more difficult, like he did for youth sports prior to the IHSA announcement.

Schools are following IDPH guidelines. IDPH guidelines are set by JB appointed people. Most school districts will not go against those guidelines to play. Some schools like TFS and TFN are not even letting kids do golf or tennis. Let alone football.

My guess is that failure to comply means JB uses his political power to make life more difficult, like he did for youth sports prior to the IHSA announcement.

Like I said before, if the IHSA wants to play, grow a pair. Publicly petition to play. Make life more difficult for JB. That's what happened in Michigan with their governor, and it worked.

Reactions: missingwalter
Did you see what Michigan did? The MHSAA exerted THEIR influence on their democratic governor, and she changed her position.

Perhaps the IHSA should grow a pair if it really wants football in the fall.

This is not correct. The MHSAA was waiting on the Governor to make a decision. She made this decision, not the MHSAA. The MHSAA announced it, but that was it.

So I just spoke directly to Craig Anderson at the IHSA. When asked what he was doing in regards to putting pressure on the governor to reinstate fall sports, he responded very condescendingly that the pressure needs to be put on the governor. When I replied the Michigan athletic association put the pressure on their governor and she responded, he replied yeah that’s what you read. So I mentioned I was going to get people to give him a call today to request putting pressure on the Governor and he welcomed it so if you need the number I’ll be happy to post it

This is not correct. The MHSAA was waiting on the Governor to make a decision. She made this decision, not the MHSAA. The MHSAA announced it, but that was it.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...ack-play-waiting-gretchen-whitmer/5670112002/

The superintendent of the Detroit public schools put pressure on the MHSAA. According to the article above, the governor was looking to the MHSAA to tell her what it wanted to do regarding when to play sports. Rather than proactively offer to play football in the spring, if they had said that they wanted to keep football in the fall, it looks like the governor would have agreed in the first place.

You've been doing your best Troll imitation for several posts now. So have fun chumming the waters and Trolling.

Just to clarify, in Michigan, it was the school leaders, superintendents, coaches, players and parents who put the pressure on both the MHSAA and Governor to make a decision on Fall sports. Throughout August, the Governor's office was saying it was up to the MHSAA to figure out Fall sports, while in turn the MHSAA said its hands were tied without an executive order from the Governor. The later has been widely proven to be BS.

In the end, the Governor issued an EO, which broke the dam and reinstated Fall sports.

As for Illinois, the pressure needs to be applied by all forces to JB, in my view. This should include the IHSA.

A huge rally in Springfield would be helpful, but as Edgy points out, that's a 3 hour drive from the city and burbs.

Just to clarify, in Michigan, it was the school leaders, superintendents, coaches, players and parents who put the pressure on both the MHSAA and Governor to make a decision on Fall sports. Throughout August, the Governor's office was saying it was up to the MHSAA to figure out Fall sports, while in turn the MHSAA said its hands were tied without an executive order from the Governor. The later has been widely proven to be BS.

In the end, the Governor issued an EO, which broke the dam and reinstated Fall sports.

As for Illinois, the pressure needs to be applied by all forces to JB, in my view. This should include the IHSA.

A huge rally in Springfield would be helpful, but as Edgy points out, that's a 3 hour drive from the city and burbs.
Call the IHSA, make Craig uncomfortable

Reactions: lookoutforliam
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...ack-play-waiting-gretchen-whitmer/5670112002/

The superintendent of the Detroit public schools put pressure on the MHSAA. According to the article above, the governor was looking to the MHSAA to tell her what it wanted to do regarding when to play sports. Rather than proactively offer to play football in the spring, if they had said that they wanted to keep football in the fall, it looks like the governor would have agreed in the first place.

The MHSAA was spineless throughout the process. They hid behind a previously issued EO that had nothing to do w/ high school sports, and claimed their hands were tied.

Here is the Superintendent's letter in full, which is a very good recap.

You said, almost word for word, what I wanted to say but was away from the board. This is spot on. They don't care, they don't care, they do...not...care. If they have to continue this scorched earth approach to get what they want in November, then so be it. It doesn't matter who it hurts or even kills. You have some of them getting haircuts when we can't and the chubby guy's family traveling to other states when we are told not to. They are a bunch of hypocrites handing down rules they themselves don't adhere to. It isn't new either.

TBH, I really don't care much for JB. I just feel as though people here are finding him a convenient scapegoat when the IHSA, a private association of member schools, is getting a free pass.

I'm not saying that JB's politics have NOTHING to do with it, however, I do think that the IHSA CHOSE the course of action that it took. Some here think they were forced into it, but I think they could have played hardball if they wanted. They are not a state agency. If they really wanted to play, then force the state's hand. Make them direct the IHSA that they cannot. Instead, they caved at the first sniff of "guidelines."

It is worth noting that Michigan, a state run by a blue governor, just reversed course relative to football. She doesn't like the current POTUS either. Would she have reversed course without being publicly asked to by the MHSAA? Doubtful. Where's the outrage directed at the IHSA?
OMG, ramblinman. Michigan is a critical BATTLEGROUND state. It's all about politics, and the blue Governor needs to keep the red counties (the majority of the state) happy.

You've been doing your best Troll imitation for several posts now. So have fun chumming the waters and Trolling.

So, when faced with a question that you can't or don't want to answer, you turn it personal.

Thought you were better than that. Guess I was wrong about you.

Reactions: Cross Bones
So, when faced with a question that you can't or don't want to answer, you turn it personal.

Thought you were better than that. Guess I was wrong about you.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Someone else answered your question(s) (And)

If I thought you weren't Trolling I would be happy to answer.

But instead you get Troll response faces. :cool:

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
OMG, ramblinman. Michigan is a critical BATTLEGROUND state. It's all about politics, and the blue Governor needs to keep the red counties (the majority of the state) happy.

I get that it's a battleground state. But, that blue Gov shut down Michigan tighter than a drum and didn't give two craps about the red counties when she did it. Now you are suggesting she is kowtowing to them by allowing football in the fall? As if voters in the red counties will sit at home on election day because they are happy she has allowed them to play high school football now? I'm not buying it.

The way the story is playing out, she didn't ever publicly direct that the MHSAA had to move their football season. It appears as though the MHSAA voluntarily moved it to the spring.

Read this: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...r-let-football-fall-sports-happen/5654912002/

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Someone else answered your question(s) (And)

If I thought you weren't Trolling I would be happy to answer.

But instead you get Troll response faces. :cool:

No, my questions weren't answered. Thought I would ask the legal eagle. But, he apparently doesn't have any answers. Inserting virtual pounding sand emoji here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT