ADVERTISEMENT

Update from IHSA on low risk sports etc

Yes, I live across the street from one and our kids have grown up together. They know exactly how I feel. I didn’t just start advocating for the kids this week.
Go to the mtg and speak to the entire board during the public comment section. That would make a bigger impact than speaking to your neighbor.

Go to the mtg and speak to the entire board during the public comment section. That would make a bigger impact than speaking to your neighbor.
The meetings aren’t public right now. I have however watched every one. Also the team captains from both sides of our town have sent an email to them this week asking for their support. I’m holding them all accountable. That being said, there are schools on session around us, but everyone is under the same athletic restrictions

The meetings aren’t public right now. I have however watched every one. Also the team captains from both sides of our town have sent an email to them this week asking for their support. I’m holding them all accountable. That being said, there are schools on session around us, but everyone is under the same athletic restrictions
Pressure needs to be applied to the decision makers which is the board of education.
Go tell them your feelings.
When nothing happens, go back and bring friends who share your concerns.
At least through this process you may find out it’s reasons for not going against JB etc.

Just out of curiosity how are you holding them accountable?

Can you elaborate on that please?
If he does nothing, and cases go through the roof: he’s blamed. He does this and he’s the devil because kids can’t play football.

Meanwhile we all know people who haven’t taken the measures to help things open up. I don’t care about JB’s trips to Florida, or equestrian events, or why this business can open or that one can’t. I’m not interested in that debate.

All I’m wondering is if you thought he should have sat on his hands?

If he does nothing, and cases go through the roof: he’s blamed. He does this and he’s the devil because kids can’t play football.

Meanwhile we all know people who haven’t taken the measures to help things open up. I don’t care about JB’s trips to Florida, or equestrian events, or why this business can open or that one can’t. I’m not interested in that debate.

I think he should not have used kids and business owners as political pawns.....that what I think.

Typical JB supporter response. Illinois has treated this differently than everyone else and is top 10 in death rate. Meanwhile, the Gov and his family spend their time in states with much less restriction.
I didn’t vote for JB, nor will I.

Thanks.

Reactions: eireog
Let’s just all agree that kids aren’t getting vaccinated, not all adults are getting vaccinated and Covid is not disappearing anytime soon. So the question is what is the magic number that will allow people to live there lives. Is it 2000 infections per day? Everyone does know not every medical worker took the vaccine and other groups will decline. So what are we waiting for?

Just out of curiosity how are you holding them accountable?
The only ways I can, I contact them often, question their actions and inactions. I know these people, my wife and I sit on their boards, raise quite a bit of money for various programs, chair their events... they know us. The lack of inaction means a resignation from their booster board and much less support. I don’t know how familiar you are with volunteering, but it’s typically the same people.

Well other states have “sat on their hands “ in relation to schooling and athletics and allowed them to happen. And many of those states that people criticized as being “too open” actually have lower per capita death rates than IL.

So if we were really following science we would be asking what benefit we are getting from remote schooling and banning athletics when other states are not being as restrictive and most are seeing similar or better results than us.

Last edited:
The only ways I can, I contact them often, question their actions and inactions. I know these people, my wife and I sit on their boards, raise quite a bit of money for various programs, chair their events... they know us. The lack of inaction means a resignation from their booster board and much less support. I don’t know how familiar you are with volunteering, but it’s typically the same people.
I agree with some of what you say. It is typically the same people, then they graduate or get pissed off or just tired and others come in and replace them.

I get it but that’s not really holding them accountable. Your letting them know it’s not ok with you about what is going on. You can only do so much. If you could hold them accountable means you yourself could fire them. 😊

I get it but that’s not really holding them accountable. Your letting them know it’s not ok with you about what is going on. You can only do so much. If you could hold them accountable means you yourself could fire them. 😊
We'll agree to disagree, but suffice it to say, I got their attention. This will also be my last post on Edgy. I'm out.

Reactions: brucealmighy
JB got his magic calculator out again today and IDPH removed the surge stat from the metrics. A couple regions all the way back to Phase 4, and only 2 left in Tier 3.

We'll agree to disagree, but suffice it to say, I got their attention. This will also be my last post on Edgy. I'm out.
MW, I've always appreciated your posts. I hope this isn't your last post. Frustrations overflowing for many if not all. My daughter has missed out likely on 2 seasons of the same sport. There's no public support for her sport thats just not as mainstream as football, basketball or wrestling/baseball. So it never has had a snowballs chance to occur. I feel worse for the older kids, she still has an estimated 2 years left. How silly does that sound? Anyhow, do what you can-I take the same position on volunteer boards I participate in. Step back or step forward dependant on the decisions those responsible make. Either ay your contributions to this board are valued, likely by more than just me.

While I’m happy with seeing the light at at the end of the tunnel for high school football I continue to scratch my head from mixed messages from our leaders. Our new president today says we can’t change the trajectory of covid in the upcoming months and we’re likely to top 600,000 deaths. Yet the moment we inch toward a target rate, coincidentally days after inauguration, the governor who hoodwinked us into our bunkers for 10 months is anxious to open it all up. I don’t know who to trust anymore. Play ball I guess and hope it all works out. The kids will be fine. I’m just tired and don’t have the strength to listen anymore.

I am thrilled there is hope for a Winter and Fall season, often thought of as a pipe dream. I do believe we will hit metrics needed, and hope as many of you that want to-get to-watch your kids play. I can't imagine how many student athletes have been just crushed under the weight of the notion of no season, and the unforgivable wait and see approach of not outlining requirements and the refusal to collaborate with the IHSA. Imagine what a lifesaving night this is for some kids, knowing there is a chance they may play. At the same time, I think of the entire Glenbrook football family tonight.

While I’m happy with seeing the light at at the end of the tunnel for high school football I continue to scratch my head from mixed messages from our leaders. Our new president today says we can’t change the trajectory of covid in the upcoming months and we’re likely to top 600,000 deaths. Yet the moment we inch toward a target rate, coincidentally days after inauguration, the governor who hoodwinked us into our bunkers for 10 months is anxious to open it all up. I don’t know who to trust anymore. Play ball I guess and hope it all works out. The kids will be fine. I’m just tired and don’t have the strength to listen anymore.
It really is all mind boggling. I mean, I am happy the kids will get scraps of a season perhaps. But to make this announcement now in the thick of the surge is so incongruous with this state’s last ten months of decisions. And for JB to pass it off for Ezike to make the ambiguous announcement...and for it to happen two days after an inauguration. I mean you couldn’t validate what 45 percent of the population has been predicting any more than with that sequence of events. Just saddens me that this whole thing has been weaponized and so many people believed him when he said he was solely following science. If it was about science the kids would have played fall sports during the dip in numbers in the actual fall when 40 plus states decided to follow the science and do so. Not in February at the tail end of our surge plateau.

Alas, here we are with a higher per capita death rate than Florida and a half year of no in person school or activities for our youth. What in the world do people think our state level leadership and their phony commitment to science have done for us?

I mean, am I happy about today’s announcement? I suppose so. But really just more angry than anything.Perhaps I should speed up my out of state real estate search by a few years.

Last edited:
I’m also happy for kids to train and compete together, especially for the seniors but the idea of playing football with no contact practice for such a long period of time and going directly into the season and these fields will have frost,ice and snow is a challenge.

Cut and paste for any lawyers of organizations that play sports:

Defendant on the stand.

Defendant’s Lawyer: Have you or anyone associated with your sport’s team, including family members been to a Walmart, other grocery or any store in person in the last two weeks?

Defendant: yes

Defendant’s Lawyer: State, do you have any evidence to the contrary of my client’s statement with your tracking tools.

Plaintiff: No.

Judge: Dismissed

Reactions: sporthog9er
ADVERTISEMENT