ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Reverses Course - Fall Sports Back On

wm4

Dec 5, 2014
Governor just announced this afternoon. Games will start Sept 17-18. All teams make the playoffs. Volleyball, soccer and swimming are back on too.

Jb not gonna let anything happen until there is a widely available vaccine. He has no political pressure for another 18 months and maybe 24.

Reactions: Gene K.
As of 9/5...

KS current positivity rate 17.3% 🏈☑️
MO 13.9% 🏈☑️
AR 9.1% 🏈☑️
IA 16% 🏈☑️
TN 7.7% 🏈☑️
NE 11.2% 🏈☑️
KY 10.3% 🏈☑️
WI 9.5% 🏈☑️
IN 9.0% 🏈☑️
IL 4.2% 🏈 ❌ No Football

Map: @NUICFootball

Data: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

@IHSA_IL @ISBEnews @GovPritzker

Let’s play ball! Get with it Governor!
He appears under little pressure to let it drag on until the weather makes it prohibitive for the fall/winter, unless I am missing something of a legal nature that is in the works. I am feeling partially guilty about being a fan and meekly bending over for all this. My vote will be too late and likely buried under the weight of all the sheep in the elections.

He appears under little pressure to let it drag on until the weather makes it prohibitive for the fall/winter, unless I am missing something of a legal nature that is in the works. I am feeling partially guilty about being a fan and meekly bending over for all this. My vote will be too late and likely buried under the weight of all the sheep in the elections.
Not to get political but I don’t see our governor ever making a decision that would appear to be on board with the president, especially when it comes to covid. If the governor allows football, the president will spike the football. Ain’t gonna happen folks.

Has anyone, personally, changed their perspective on the virus in the last 2 months?

I know with the initial lockdown in April, nearly everyone was on the same page, lock it down, let hospitals be able to manage, flatten the curve etc.

Then after some data rolled in, two camps emerged: this isn’t an extinction-level event, quarantine the vulnerable and open everything else up, and the other camp of keep everything locked down until a proven vaccination is developed.

And if you were in one camp in June, you pretty much stayed there. The IDPH and the governor have been consistent in that regard. Consistently wrong or consistently correct won’t be debated here but where’s Edgy nation personally on Covid-19: Are you in the same camp you were at the end of May or has new info made you switch camps in either direction?

Has anyone, personally, changed their perspective on the virus in the last 2 months?

I know with the initial lockdown in April, nearly everyone was on the same page, lock it down, let hospitals be able to manage, flatten the curve etc.

Then after some data rolled in, two camps emerged: this isn’t an extinction-level event, quarantine the vulnerable and open everything else up, and the other camp of keep everything locked down until a proven vaccination is developed.

And if you were in one camp in June, you pretty much stayed there. The IDPH and the governor have been consistent in that regard. Consistently wrong or consistently correct won’t be debated here but where’s Edgy nation personally on Covid-19: Are you in the same camp you were at the end of May or has new info made you switch camps in either direction?
I just want consistency. Stop with the selectiveness. If it’s really that bad then shut it all down and try to contain it. But shutting down for some and not others does nothing but send mixed messages and is probably just as effective as opening it all up going with herd immunity. I’ll continue to wear my mask when needed and do my part but if it doesn’t go away soon I feel like we’ll all get it at some point.

Still in Camp 1.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure you will, but wasn't the decision to move football to the spring the IHSA's and the IHSA's alone? I realize it is popular for the right to criticize Pritzker, but I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree when you are calling on the governor to reinstate football this fall. Either that, or you are taking any opportunity you can, however tenuous, to slam him.

Fine. Then at least criticize him for something he deserves. Moving football to the spring was not his decision. Berating him to bring it back to the fall is a waste of keystrokes.

Fine. Then at least criticize him for something he deserves. Moving football to the spring was not his decision. Berating him to bring it back to the fall is a waste of keystrokes.

If the IHSA decided to play football today they couldn’t because of rules enacted by JB. More concerning to me are the rules for restaurants if not changed will not allow them to be a viable business when the weather changes and outdoor seating isn’t an option.

The biggest problem I have with him are all of the inconsistencies in plans as well as some groups being excused from protocols when others aren't.

Recently, Will county slipped back and tighter restrictions were reinstated for bars and restaurants to name some. Our mayor in Lockport wrote Pritzker a letter recently regarding this. I am copying and pasting some of that letter here.

"I have a few outstanding questions on your decision to add further restrictions to the public and businesses of Will/Kankakee county Region 7.

At the end of June, the metrics for the State to go from Phase 3 to Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Plan required adequate medical care availability, a decreased death rate, and a sustained positivity rate under 20%. Today, with our death rate steadily decreasing, and our medical care availability all within safe parameters, you have chosen a new metric to enter Phase 4 – a two-week average of 6.5% positivity. I am unclear on the scientific reasoning for adding new restrictions to Region 7 solely for exceeding 8% positivity, when two months ago 19.9% was acceptable (and working). Also, we seek clarification on the science behind the further restriction to a two-week average of 6.5%.

Secondly, even if the IDPH can provide scientific justification for the 13.4% metric shift at your next press conference, Metro East’s rollback mandate was given a two-week window at reduced indoor restaurant capacity (25%) before any further restrictions would be put in place. I believe the businesses in Will and Kankakee counties should be afforded the same approach. One of the great financial hits to our restaurant businesses during the original lockdown was having to throw out $$$ in inventory. Yo-yoing our restaurant’s ability to conduct business over a fluctuating positivity rate, instead of hospital and medical care availability, is an unsustainable policy for any business and does not consider all factors in our fight against COVID-19."

I couldn't agree more with our mayor. There is more. This is just a small sampling of the inconsistencies and flying by the seat of his pants this guy is doing.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure you will, but wasn't the decision to move football to the spring the IHSA's and the IHSA's alone? I realize it is popular for the right to criticize Pritzker, but I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree when you are calling on the governor to reinstate football this fall. Either that, or you are taking any opportunity you can, however tenuous, to slam him.
Do you really think the IHSA made the decision they wanted to make verses the one that was imposed upon them by the (king) governor?

This protest however fruitless is directed exactly where it should be.

He hasn’t made a lot of the decisions but he has set the frame work so there can only be only one outcome.
100 percent this. IHSA made the decision because there was no possible way to play any sport besides tennis, golf, or XC this fall under the current guidelines. They were simply responding to the draconian measures forced on them by state government.

Meanwhile, on ESPNU, life is pretty much back to normal in many states and despite the hopes and dreams of many of the chicken little crowd, their health care systems are no more “overrun” than ours in Illinois.

Last edited:
Sorry if this was asked and answered I didn’t have time to read all the responses but didn’t JB make some announcement about the risk levels literally right before the IHSA made their announcement? He definitely had a big hand in this

Sorry if this was asked and answered I didn’t have time to read all the responses but didn’t JB make some announcement about the risk levels literally right before the IHSA made their announcement? He definitely had a big hand in this
Same day I believe

"Right now Illinois is the only state in the Midwest that doesn't have all fall sports going."

Last night on facebook ABC 7 Chicago

Do you really think the IHSA made the decision they wanted to make verses the one that was imposed upon them by the (king) governor?

This protest however fruitless is directed exactly where it should be.

What decision do you think they wanted to make? If it was to have football in the fall, then why wait so long to make a different decision? Why not just make the "let's play football in the fall" decision in June, let the governor overrule it, and then the IHSA does not look like the bad guy.

FWIW, the IHSA press release about the decision makes ZERO mention of the governor's guidelines that came out that same day. In fact, it says that the IHSA decisions would be presented to the IDPH for final approval.

And another thing...the governor has established "guidelines" for youth sports. Guidelines are different from executive orders. What consequences are there if the guidelines are not followed? Seems to me if the IHSA wanted to play football in the fall, they could. In that case, they would not be following "guidelines." BFD

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT