ADVERTISEMENT

Mercy Rule Etiquette

TigerforFlyers

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2018
In yesterday’s contest, ESL took a knee to end the half at Normal West’s 1-yard line with a score of 54-0. ESL then starts the 2nd half with the JV squad while Normal West continued to play with their starters. Normal West took advantage to add 7 points on the board.

Not a big deal, or course, but just wondering if folks feel that this is proper or improper.

Yes, Lincoln Tigers. Great times were had!
You're gonna make me cry reminiscing.My Grandpa took me down to see all 3 ESL teams play at Parsons Field at one time or another & I'm from South Burbs.My parents made a kick butt antenna for my stereo & I would listen to all your area teams on a Saturday night.WIBB out of Belleville i think was the call letters.Years ago where i lived we had Tiger Great Coach Martin here coaching the Vols.He was shocked i was a ESL/Lincoln/Assumption fan & we would talk about them all!!! Tigers & Pioneers had a few bad breaks costing them from winning state a few times

In yesterday’s contest, ESL took a knee to end the half at Normal West’s 1-yard line with a score of 54-0. ESL then starts the 2nd half with the JV squad while Normal West continued to play with their starters. Normal West took advantage to add 7 points on the board.

Not a big deal, or course, but just wondering if folks feel that this is proper or improper.
Not to mention the 2 on side kicks they attemtped.

You're gonna make me cry reminiscing.My Grandpa took me down to see all 3 ESL teams play at Parsons Field at one time or another & I'm from South Burbs.My parents made a kick butt antenna for my stereo & I would listen to all your area teams on a Saturday night.WIBB out of Belleville i think was the call letters.Years ago where i lived we had Tiger Great Coach Martin here coaching the Vols.He was shocked i was a ESL/Lincoln/Assumption fan & we would talk about them all!!! Tigers & Pioneers had a few bad breaks costing them from winning state a few times
Loads of talent in the area in those days. The city rivalries were great!! Martin gave us a lot to celebrate during his era.

Wibb was the station back then. Great broadcaster forget his name use to listen a lot when I couldn’t make the games . Now I remember his name Joe Mays

Last edited:
Don't see an issue with the team losing continuing to fight, however, it might cause the other team to put the starters back in. That's what happened in 2012 with Palatine and Niles west. Final score was 69 to 42. At one point a Niles West coach yelled across the field that it was poor sportsmanship the Palatine was taking a knee

Not sure if you've ever had this, but I've had (a now retired) coach ask my crew to make up penalties and call TDs back on his team when they were up and had a running clock.
ken leonard did this quite often.

I see nothing wrong with this. Most of those Normal West kids, at lest the seniors, were playing their last half of football.
Are you suggesting that no team remove their top players and play to the end?
ESL JV is 85% Freshman. As a team, you had an entire half to play with some enthusiasm and strong effort which should have prevented a running clock vs giving up 60 plus points (ESL took a knee on the goal line to end the half).

Are you suggesting that no team remove their top players and play to the end?
ESL JV is 85% Freshman. As a team, you had an entire half to play with some enthusiasm and strong effort which should have prevented a running clock vs giving up 60 plus points (ESL took a knee on the goal line to end the half).
I have no issue with them coming out of half with their starters. I would assume at some point to empty the bench. But I think the SR deserve to at least come out at half to play.

I have no issue with them coming out of half with their starters. I would assume at some point to empty the bench. But I think the SR deserve to at least come out at half to play.
With the ESL v Normal game specifically i thought the normal coach would have approached it differently. ESL had their fr running backs in the game and were at the 1yd line before half and took a knee. Normal then proceeded to come out of half time with two onside kicks and their starting qb still going tempo and throwing the ball downfield on the fr DBs from ESL. It didnt bother me, just something to consider the next time someone questions why ESL has their starters in late in the game up 50.

With the ESL v Normal game specifically i thought the normal coach would have approached it differently. ESL had their fr running backs in the game and were at the 1yd line before half and took a knee. Normal then proceeded to come out of half time with two onside kicks and their starting qb still going tempo and throwing the ball downfield on the fr DBs from ESL. It didnt bother me, just something to consider the next time someone questions why ESL has their starters in late in the game up 50.
I understand the game was over but it as a playoff game. I wouldn't expect a coach to not come out with starters and try coming right out of the gate in the 2nd half.

Proper. The ESL coach was classy to take a knee, but he doesn't get to dictate when the opponent must give up. That decision belongs to the vanquished HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT