ADVERTISEMENT

MC Fans: Brown and White Scrimmage

They threw more times today then they did in 3 games last year! I really liked it, lot of talent and speed, Defense is strong. 7 Sophomores playing up and a few of them really did well. Future is bright. I’ll stand by my 7-2 prediction and if it all comes together by the playoffs, they’ll make some noise

Dean gave me a great synopsis of the Rice Maroon and Orange game the nite before so I am assuming he's going to have a spot on analysis of the MC Scrimmage.

Reactions: caravan8
Dean can confirm but overall - Smyth better arm than Bean but Bean with better mobility at QB. Plunkett starting RB but Gladney and Jackson will get reps. Summers is the go to WR but he liked what Arquilla, Hall and Pettis bring to table (said Pettis is very fast). O'Keefe very solid as a TE threat. OL looked good - decent size but nothing more than anyone else in Blue will have. DL is where he said was greatest improvement. Said the Jr (Jefferson) is going to be a beast and that some others like Myles Jones, McCoy, Rheems and Waryko looked good. LBs looked good too. DBs as always will be the ? for Rice but he said Means looked good and so did Iraci. Special Teams is going to be a concern this year. But overall he felt they looked more disciplined and solid than last year

The Frosh QB Jack Lausch from Barnabas will most likely play Varsity next year. However the Soph QB out of Christina isn't too shabby either. Rice has 5 Sophs up on Varsity this year and many of them are in the 2 deep. So I give the Sophs some slack

Rice will have 2 sophs up that play consistently and unlike Lynch, Badke wont pull up his kin. Freshman looked real good but its freshman. Lausch is definitely a dude and comes from very good stock. He will be a 3yr starter, the now spoh QB is a football player so switching position wont be an issue.
Leadership which was lacking on last year squad is at an all time high with this senior class. Should be fun to watch.

Dean can confirm but overall - Smyth better arm than Bean but Bean with better mobility at QB. Plunkett starting RB but Gladney and Jackson will get reps. Summers is the go to WR but he liked what Arquilla, Hall and Pettis bring to table (said Pettis is very fast). O'Keefe very solid as a TE threat. OL looked good - decent size but nothing more than anyone else in Blue will have. DL is where he said was greatest improvement. Said the Jr (Jefferson) is going to be a beast and that some others like Myles Jones, McCoy, Rheems and Waryko looked good. LBs looked good too. DBs as always will be the ? for Rice but he said Means looked good and so did Iraci. Special Teams is going to be a concern this year. But overall he felt they looked more disciplined and solid than last year
Gladney had nice runs. I was unfamiliar with him until Fri. Summers O'Keefe probly the go-to guys on O. Pettis stretches the D and Hall had the catch of the day off a heave by Smythe. Bean will be the starter.I don't recall any turnovers. Definitely not the Nintendo offense of '15-'16. But OL solid and just a methodical approach. D it looked like one of their ones in a while. #30 really impressed me.

God I love this board. A topic of the MC scrimmage gets flipped into a discussion of the Rice scrimmage!

Ok back to MC - who is handling punting and kicking this year? The MC transfer to Rice I believe was punting at the scrimmage

Ok back to MC - who is handling punting and kicking this year? The MC transfer to Rice I believe was punting at the scrimmage
Their kicker and punter from last year both returned and they brought a Soph up with a huge leg to do kick offs and Long FG.

Justin looked outstanding in the scrimmage, he grew a lot.....have you seen Badke’s kin play? There’s good reason he’s not on varsity.....
Hmmm, so now we are trashing individual sophomore players? Noted. Classy!

Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the scrimmage but heard some good things about both the offense and the defense. MC is always a more dangerous team when the front 7 on defense is playing well (great in ‘12 & ‘13; not so much since).

How did they use the RB’s at the scrimmage? Were there a lot of 2 back sets? Seems like they have 4 pretty good RB’s (Davis, Rias, Odeluga & Moore), hopefully they don’t get too pass happy or at the very least use them in the passing game.

Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the scrimmage but heard some good things about both the offense and the defense. MC is always a more dangerous team when the front 7 on defense is playing well (great in ‘12 & ‘13; not so much since).

How did they use the RB’s at the scrimmage? Were there a lot of 2 back sets? Seems like they have 4 pretty good RB’s (Davis, Rias, Odeluga & Moore), hopefully they don’t get too pass happy or at the very least use them in the passing game.
only 1 back sets

Mostly one back sets. Very few with 2. Davis, Rias and Odeluga got most of the carries. All looked good. Odeluga started at MLB. Moore was at SS and OLB

When was the last year BR & MC didnt play? CMC years? Early 2000's? Im gonna miss it. How many do Caravan have on freshman team? Any chance we meet on freshmen level one of the weeks we play Leo or someone that doesnt have a freshman squad?

When was the last year BR & MC didnt play? CMC years? Early 2000's? Im gonna miss it. How many do Caravan have on freshman team? Any chance we meet on freshmen level one of the weeks we play Leo or someone that doesnt have a freshman squad?
last time did not play was 2002. I counted 46 frosh.

Mostly one back sets. Very few with 2. Davis, Rias and Odeluga got most of the carries. All looked good. Odeluga started at MLB. Moore was at SS and OLB
Thanks for the info. Thanks to you as well Dean.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like running 1 back sets takes a playmaker off the field? Especially for a team like MC that hasn’t passed a bunch in the past, the WR’s seem like unknowns. But you know you have good RB’s right now. I’m sure they will be good and the coaches will put them in a position to succeed, maybe I’m just nervous because of the change in offense and the unknown it brings with it.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Yeah, I would be surprised if they didn’t use the entire playbook in an intrasquad scrimmage.

Justin looked outstanding in the scrimmage, he grew a lot.....have you seen Badke’s kin play? There’s good reason he’s not on varsity.....
Hold on now. I didn't start anything, I think both badke and Lynch are good players as sophomores. I mean they are sophs, a soph on the varsity level is a big deal is all I'm saying. Good luck to both players and schools

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT