ADVERTISEMENT

MC 20 - 9

Rita has done all it can to give this one away. And is this the same QB who played in the 7A game last year?

I think jack mcinerney and his little announcer buddy may take the entrance exam at St Rita next yr
McInerney needs to call it a career. It's the same ol cliche junk every single year.

Jackisms: Anytime a player makes a great play, "He's well coached" Anytime a replay shows the ref made the right call, "These referees do an outstanding job". Anytime conference comes up, "That's what makes the CCL the best in the state" and then he goes on to say how outstanding they all are in academics. Puke!

The game was a little closer than I thought it was going to be.

the good: MC’s QB, MC’s passing game, SR’s running game, SR kicker, SR’s run defense.

the bad: SR’s QB, MC’s run defense, SR’s passing game, SR’s DB’s, SR’s play calling in 4th Qrt.

The very bad: MC penalties - taunting and personal fouls after the tackle?

I guess Rock was might have right about who SR’s QB should have been all season. You have to pass well enough to keep the defense honest. Three field goals don’t cut it in a semi final. SR’s running back is a bear but you can’t give it to the kid every play.

I know a lot of people were mad that SR bet SCN, Prospect, and Geneva. But MC handled SR tonight. They are the #1 team this year.

Batavia MC rematch. Batavia will have a chip on their shoulder after the last game.

the good: MC’s QB, MC’s passing game, SR’s running game, SR kicker, SR’s run defense.

the bad: SR’s QB, MC’s run defense, SR’s passing game, SR’s DB’s, SR’s play calling in 4th Qrt.

I guess Rock was might have right about who SR’s QB should have been all season. You have to pass well enough to keep the defense honest. Three field goals don’t cut it in a semi final. SR’s running back is a bear but you can’t give it to the kid every play.

I know a lot of people were mad that SR bet SCN, Prospect, and Geneva. But MC handled SR tonight. They are the #1 team this year.

Batavia MC rematch. Batavia will have a chip on their shoulder after the last game.
After the comments Batavia’s head coach made to the media, MC may have a chip on their shoulder as well

I don’t have the exact quote (u can look it up), however he more or less blamed the loss to MC on the refs. I’ve never seen a coach on any level do that?
“What was worse was: Any play that we had in the second half that was substantial on runs, we got called holding calls," Piron said. "I don't know what the [penalty] numbers were; they were bad. They were bad ... I just felt like we were playing against two teams. I think that's what I'll use. It [was] like we were playing against two teams ... I never seen that in my life."”

“What was worse was: Any play that we had in the second half that was substantial on runs, we got called holding calls," Piron said. "I don't know what the [penalty] numbers were; they were bad. They were bad ... I just felt like we were playing against two teams. I think that's what I'll use. It [was] like we were playing against two teams ... I never seen that in my life."”
Wow

Well it was extremely lopsided...unless you are an MC fan. They seem to have racked up penalties every game except for that one

Dowling, Furlong, Arrington, Novickas, et alii bested Kingsbury, Stewart, Farrell, Strelczyk. That was an epic Catholic League battle. My Fenwick and Mt. Carmel guests enjoyed the game too. We all agree that we will be cheering for all the Catholic schools in the finals. Go LA, MC, NAZ, PC, IC and anyone lower that we don’t know. I can’t wait to see the finals next week.

You’ve never heard a coach blame the refs? Have you ever heard a coach speak?
I was always taught you train and play never to put it in the refs hands. And besides Jimmie Johnson in 1988 against Notre Dame, no…I’ve never seen a coach openly blame referees for a loss. Just a little unprofessional IMO.

Reactions: McCaravan

I thought it could blow out for MC before the game tonight. SR has maybe the best front 7 in the area if not the state. The good news is they stopped the run. The bad news is they forced MC to pass. MC’s QB handle the pressure well but SR’s DB’s gave too big of a cushion.

Marty Hopkins 1st move is to get someone else to coach SR’s DB’s. They have the talent but they are coached to play too passive in the coverage. 2nd move reexamine the offensive play calling from the booth. When SR intercepted the ball deep in MC territory they brought in a cold player and gave him the ball on his 1st snap. MC immediately stripped the ball. That’s good coaching on MC’s part.

This was Jordan Lynch’s first group of seniors who he could call his own. He has done a great job. I was never against his hire only the way the Lenti thing was handled on both sides. I really want MC to win next week and I think they will. In the next week the coaches have to drum it to the player heads about penalties. I’ll be ecstatic if MC can go penalty free and lay the wood to Batavia. Kind of what to prove last year was not a fluke.

Last edited:
You’ve never heard a coach blame the refs? Have you ever heard a coach speak?
I thought it could blow out for MC before the game tonight. SR has maybe the best front 7 in the area if not the state. The good news is they stopped the run. The bad news is they forced MC to pass. MC’s QB handle the pressure well but SR’s DB’s gave too big of a cushion.

Marty Hopkins 1st move is to get someone else to coach SR’s DB’s. They have the talent but they are coaches to play too passive in the coverage. 2nd move reexamine the offensive play calling from the booth. When SR intercepted the ball deep in MC territory they brought in a cold player and gave him the ball on his 1st snap. MC immediately stripped the ball. That’s good coaching on MC’s part.

This was Jordan Lynch’s first group of seniors who he could call his own. He has done a great job. I was never against his hire only the way the Lenti thing was handled on both sides. I really want MC to win next week and I think they will. In the next week the coaches have to drum it to the player heads about penalties. I’ll be ecstatic if MC can go penalty free and lay the wood to Batavia. Kind of what to prove last year was not a fluke.
I really miss Lenti-isms!

Reactions: Jenny27
Turning point in the game... Rita leading 9-7 in the 4th quarter, MC with the ball at their own 10 yard line. Interception Rita! SR with the ball at MC's 20 yard line. Does SR hand the ball off to bruising 225 LB RB Stewart? No! Next play the ball is stripped from another Rita ball carrier and MC recovers. No field goal by the best kicker in the state, no TD to extend the Rita lead to 9 points (making it a two possession game). Instead, MC takes advantage- moving the ball quickly down field and scoring. Now it's 14-9 MC. With time becoming an issue, SR has to throw (going away from their strength). Pick 6. Game over. MC's ability to hold Rita to three field goals, despite being near the 10 yard line each time, was also a big factor. Congrats MC, you closed the game like a champion does.

Turning point in the game... Rita leading 9-7 in the 4th quarter, MC with the ball at their own 10 yard line. Interception Rita! SR with the ball at MC's 20 yard line. Does SR hand the ball off to bruising 225 LB RB Stewart? No! Next play the ball is stripped from another Rita ball carrier and MC recovers. No field goal by the best kicker in the state, no TD to extend the Rita lead to 9 points (making it a two possession game). Instead, MC takes advantage- moving the ball quickly down field and scoring. Now it's 14-9 MC. With time becoming an issue, SR has to throw (going away from their strength). Pick 6. Game over. MC's ability to hold Rita to three field goals, despite being near the 10 yard line each time, was also a big factor. Congrats MC, you closed the game like a champion does.
Very obvious. I’m sure if he could have it back he’d do it differently.

I don’t have the exact quote (u can look it up), however he more or less blamed the loss to MC on the refs. I’ve never seen a coach on any level do that?
He was right. I was there and also watched the replay. The last few minutes of that game was a disgrace. Batavia had the game won twice. And I don't have a dog in the fight. No disrespect to the MC kids, they fought their butts off, but the refs played way too big of a role in the outcome. Batavia was robbed IMHO.

Congrats to the Caravan and their hard-fought victory against a determined Cascia team.

The fact Rita led this dominant MC team in the 4th quarter is all I could ask for.

And it didn't work out, but it is what it is. Rita should be proud of her season and congrats to Coach Kuska on a great career. Thanks for bringing the program back and maintaining it! Hopkins has some big shoes to fill.

He was right. I was there and also watched the replay. The last few minutes of that game was a disgrace. Batavia had the game won twice. And I don't have a dog in the fight. No disrespect to the MC kids, they fought their butts off, but the refs played way too big of a role in the outcome. Batavia was robbed IMHO.
I was not at the game. However I heard some of those pass interference calls were legit? Apples and Oranges I suppose…But like someone previously stated, MC won because Marty Furlong zig-zagged through the entire Batavia defense!

This next games going to be fun!

Congrats to the Caravan and their hard-fought victory against a determined Cascia team.

The fact Rita led this dominant MC team in the 4th quarter is all I could ask for.

And it didn't work out, but it is what it is. Rita should be proud of her season and congrats to Coach Kuska on a great career. Thanks for bringing the program back and maintaining it! Hopkins has some big shoes to fill.
That OL for Rita is a special group of young men. I'm sure we will be hearing their names again at the college level.

It's hard to believe MC doesn't have a downhill running back to sub in and just fall forward as Rita uses with success. Seems like #30 is a bit all-or-nothing momentum-wise in high-leverage running situations. Sometimes you just need some meat with some extra churn to eat up some cheap yards. I really like Turbo in the screen game though, when he catches it. That is MC's single most underutilized play, Turbo on PA/RPO then a Screen in the flat. You could run that play 5-6 times per game like the bears used to do and it will gut teams who rush Dowling too hard... holding aside of course...

Reactions: Silver Rain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT