ADVERTISEMENT

MC 20 - 9

I was not at the game. However I heard some of those pass interference calls were legit? Apples and Oranges I suppose…But like someone previously stated, MC won because Marty Furlong zig-zagged through the entire Batavia defense!

This next games going to be fun!
No doubt, spectacular play. If you get the chance... watch the last five minutes of the game and focus on each penalty. If just one isn't called... Batavia prevails. And MC is a much better team this year so I expect them to win.

Reactions: PowerI66
Congrats to the Caravan and their hard-fought victory against a determined Cascia team.

The fact Rita led this dominant MC team in the 4th quarter is all I could ask for.

And it didn't work out, but it is what it is. Rita should be proud of her season and congrats to Coach Kuska on a great career. Thanks for bringing the program back and maintaining it! Hopkins has some big shoes to fill.
Welcome to Marty Hopkins. He knows the culture he was part of some of the best of it. Marty has a lot of kids graduating on him, but he has a nice core coming back. The top two running backs are juniors. The JV and freshmen teams both had very good seasons.

That OL for Rita is a special group of young men. I'm sure we will be hearing their names again at the college level.
For sure! I hope next year's OL can get "somewhat close" to this year's group because there is returning talent (especially at the skilled positions) coming back next year.

Reactions: NNFAN
Dowling, Furlong, Arrington, Novickas, et alii bested Kingsbury, Stewart, Farrell, Strelczyk. That was an epic Catholic League battle. My Fenwick and Mt. Carmel guests enjoyed the game too. We all agree that we will be cheering for all the Catholic schools in the finals. Go LA, MC, NAZ, PC, IC and anyone lower that we don’t know. I can’t wait to see the finals next week.
I respect that but you know 😊. East has a date with LA! 🤣

Welcome to Marty Hopkins. He knows the culture he was part of some of the best of it. Marty has a lot of kids graduation on him. But he has a nice core coming back. The top two running backs are juniors. The JV and freshmen teams both had very good seasons.
I know next year's OL will not be as dominant as this years. However, if the OL can produce, the offense has a chance to be very good. I also think the Sophomore QB will challenge for the starting spot--just my observation. Jett has done a great job as a Junior, has grown since Week 1 and has a lot of potential, but the Sophomore QB is a very good player.

Batavia lost last year because Denny Furlong sliced through five defenders on his way into the end zone.
They were afraid to touch him along the sideline lest the officials call a personal foul and give Mt. Carmel a fourth chance to win the game. They were hoping he would either step out of bounds inadvertently or that another Batavia player would make the tackle and risk the flag for a late hit as Furlong's little toe might have been on the chalk. It only takes a moment's hesitation for the opportunity for a tackle to be lost and the opposing player score a touchdown. Numerous phantom flags can have that effect.

That’s going to be a great final.
Not impressed by MC. As talented as they are they should have won by 2/3 tds. Too many penalties, MC is a poorly coached team. Mc is in a perfect storm this year. Very talented team, weak opponents! But you play who is on your schedule so

I thought it could blow out for MC before the game tonight. SR has maybe the best front 7 in the area if not the state. The good news is they stopped the run. The bad news is they forced MC to pass. MC’s QB handle the pressure well but SR’s DB’s gave too big of a cushion.

Marty Hopkins 1st move is to get someone else to coach SR’s DB’s. They have the talent but they are coaches to play too passive in the coverage. 2nd move reexamine the offensive play calling from the booth. When SR intercepted the ball deep in MC territory they brought in a cold player and gave him the ball on his 1st snap. MC immediately stripped the ball. That’s good coaching on MC’s part.

This was Jordan Lynch’s first group of seniors who he could call his own. He has done a great job. I was never against his hire only the way the Lenti thing was handled on both sides. I really want MC to win next week and I think they will. In the next week the coaches have to drum it to the player heads about penalties. I’ll be ecstatic if MC can go penalty free and lay the wood to Batavia. Kind of what to prove last year was not a fluke.
Bingo, that strip was a KILLER!

Reactions: Gene K. and Jenny27
Marty Hopkins 1st move is to get someone else to coach SR’s DB’s. They have the talent but they are coaches to play too passive in the coverage. 2nd move reexamine the offensive play calling from the booth. When SR intercepted the ball deep in MC territory they brought in a cold player and gave him the ball on his 1st snap. MC immediately stripped the ball.
Rita leading 9-7 in the 4th quarter, MC with the ball at their own 10 yard line. Interception Rita! SR with the ball at MC's 20 yard line. Does SR hand the ball off to bruising 225 LB RB Stewart? No! Next play the ball is stripped from another Rita ball carrier and MC recovers. No field goal by the best kicker in the state, no TD to extend the Rita lead to 9 points
We were watching the game in in Orland Park and my brother in law was yelling so loud at that play call they should have heard it at the Croin field pressbox.

Welcome to Marty Hopkins. He knows the culture he was part of some of the best of it. Marty has a lot of kids graduating on him, but he has a nice core coming back. The top two running backs are juniors. The JV and freshmen teams both had very good seasons.
Priority #1 needs to be offensive creativity & unpredictability. A starting QB, RBs return plus Soph receiving talent who some say possess Speed. I don't know, maybe someone can fill us in about the Sophs

Weak opponents, such as Loyola and Rita, who played a very good game
Maybe some of us need to take a chill pill. Remember several of the kids we are talking about are only 16 years old and are playing on a big stage. This is an adult site but make no mistake the kids are looking at it.
Sorry make sure they all get a participation trophy so no one’s feelings are hurt.

It's hard to believe MC doesn't have a downhill running back to sub in and just fall forward as Rita uses with success. Seems like #30 is a bit all-or-nothing momentum-wise in high-leverage running situations. Sometimes you just need some meat with some extra churn to eat up some cheap yards. I really like Turbo in the screen game though, when he catches it. That is MC's single most underutilized play, Turbo on PA/RPO then a Screen in the flat. You could run that play 5-6 times per game like the bears used to do and it will gut teams who rush Dowling too hard... holding aside of course...
Dupree was that guy. Even with him, SR's front 7 is amazing. We Three Kingsbury's, Farrell, Carmody....they are hard to run up the middle on. MC's current offense is not geared towards the power back as it was with the veer. Stewart is amazing but you won't see bruising backs like him very often anymore, most are swiss army knife RB's. Stewart is like Mike Alstott!

Very obvious. I’m sure if he could have it back he’d do it differently.
It's hard to believe MC doesn't have a downhill running back to sub in and just fall forward as Rita uses with success. Seems like #30 is a bit all-or-nothing momentum-wise in high-leverage running situations. Sometimes you just need some meat with some extra churn to eat up some cheap yards. I really like Turbo in the screen game though, when he catches it. That is MC's single most underutilized play, Turbo on PA/RPO then a Screen in the flat. You could run that play 5-6 times per game like the bears used to do and it will gut teams who rush Dowling too hard... holding aside of course...
Turning point in the game... Rita leading 9-7 in the 4th quarter, MC with the ball at their own 10 yard line. Interception Rita! SR with the ball at MC's 20 yard line. Does SR hand the ball off to bruising 225 LB RB Stewart? No! Next play the ball is stripped from another Rita ball carrier and MC recovers. No field goal by the best kicker in the state, no TD to extend the Rita lead to 9 points (making it a two possession game). Instead, MC takes advantage- moving the ball quickly down field and scoring. Now it's 14-9 MC. With time becoming an issue, SR has to throw (going away from their strength). Pick 6. Game over. MC's ability to hold Rita to three field goals, despite being near the 10 yard line each time, was also a big factor. Congrats MC, you closed the game like a champion does.
you have MC exactly where you want them and i have to console a kid asking me as to why they take him out and put someone else in who has not carried the ball all damn nite in freezing temps and you want to give him the ball? Really? Not even Middleton? Chew the clock up down there and kick another FG or we punch it in with whom got you here offensively to this point . Im highly pissed as we had MC beat. The kids did not lose this game

Last edited:
Dupree was that guy. Even with him, SR's front 7 is amazing. We Three Kingsbury's, Farrell, Carmody....they are hard to run up the middle on. MC's current offense is not geared towards the power back as it was with the veer. Stewart is amazing but you won't see bruising backs like him very often anymore, most are swiss army knife RB's. Stewart is like Mike Alstott!
I’d be at a loss to remember a high school football game recently that there was that much talent on the field on both teams. I’m willing to listen. There was some great players going at it. Some will be D3, D2 but there was a lot of legit D1 talent out there this evening.

SR, and all your numerous posters that have always been class acts, great game. I thought is was over after that pick near the endzone...I was preparing my year end post....then the fumble happened and Dowing did what a leader does, he came back in after a bad INT and took charge and led them down the field. Not every game is perfect, not every pass is going to go your way, he had a short memory and led his team. A year ago he may have rushed something, but this year, he knew he had time and he made the plays. Great job.

MC though, these penalties started in the LA game and they haven't stopped and it's out of hand. Too many emotions are getting the better of you early in games. You get a reputation of being a highly penalized teams refs start looking for it. Although the taunting one was kinda pimpy, I've seen a lot worse and the refs let them play. They are teens. I know the coaches know this and I'm sure they will have a great week of practice. Two Conference rivial rematches two weeks in a row is a lot of emotions. You are playing against your friends....your grade school classmates and former teammates.....emotions were at a high. That's done though. Play your game and make teams beat you on the field and earn their yards, not because you gave them yards!

Great game all around for February conditions, keep it going MC!

If Bret Bielma is not at SR every day he should be. DJ is his kinda guy.

SR, and all your numerous posters that have always been class acts, great game. I thought is was over after that pick near the endzone...I was preparing my year end post....then the fumble happened and Dowing did what a leader does, he came back in after a bad INT and took charge and led them down the field. Not every game is perfect, not every pass is going to go your way, he had a short memory and led his team. A year ago he may have rushed something, but this year, he knew he had time and he made the plays. Great job.

MC though, these penalties started in the LA game and they haven't stopped and it's out of hand. Too many emotions are getting the better of you early in games. You get a reputation of being a highly penalized teams refs start looking for it. Although the taunting one was kinda pimpy, I've seen a lot worse and the refs let them play. They are teens. I know the coaches know this and I'm sure they will have a great week of practice. Two Conference rivial rematches two weeks in a row is a lot of emotions. You are playing against your friends....your grade school classmates and former teammates.....emotions were at a high. That's done though. Play your game and make teams beat you on the field and earn their yards, not because you gave them yards!

Great game all around for February conditions, keep it going MC!

Yes, the weather was a factor today, disrupting the passing game. Dowling threw two interceptions, matching his total for the year. The temps next week will be in the 40s, and the winds will be moderate.

DJ is a load, and Rita's O-line is stout. But MC's defense did its job, holding them to three field goals. In the Loyola game, MC turned it around by scoring two touchdowns in 21 seconds. They did the same thing in the Rita game, scoring twice in 49 seconds.

Reactions: TheWizardofWoodlawn
The game was a little closer than I thought it was going to be.

the good: MC’s QB, MC’s passing game, SR’s running game, SR kicker, SR’s run defense.

the bad: SR’s QB, MC’s run defense, SR’s passing game, SR’s DB’s, SR’s play calling in 4th Qrt.

The very bad: MC penalties - taunting and personal fouls after the tackle?

I guess Rock was might have right about who SR’s QB should have been all season. You have to pass well enough to keep the defense honest. Three field goals don’t cut it in a semi final. SR’s running back is a bear but you can’t give it to the kid every play.

I know a lot of people were mad that SR bet SCN, Prospect, and Geneva. But MC handled SR tonight. They are the #1 team this year.

Batavia MC rematch. Batavia will have a chip on their shoulder after the last game.
Run defense that didn’t give up a TD was “the very bad”???

I’d be at a loss to remember a high school football game recently that there was that much talent on the field on both teams. I’m willing to listen. There was some great players going at it. Some will be D3, D2 but there was a lot of legit D1 talent out there this evening.
Legit D1 talent where, many will be D3? Combined maybe 5 or 6 will be mid major D1 (great school paid for)

All the chatter on the board about point spreads and how MC would score a ton of points. As a lifelong SR fan / supporter I was hoping that SR would be competitive and keep it close. I couldn’t ask for a better game from them. They came out hitting hard and the defense and special teams had been outstanding this playoff run. They played MC even for 3 of the 4 quarters and had the lead with 9 mins left in the game. The weather conditions played into Rita’s favor last night. Early on passes were high and fingers were cold. These kids left it all on the field last night. That was an old school smash mouth football game. Sure we can question play calling like we are watching the Bears play the packers but these are 16-17 yr old kids who are trying to make plays. Both teams forced turnovers that could have turned the game and MC was able to capitalize. Hats off to MC. They Have so much talent on that team. Congratulations to Todd Kuska for a great career. He has been nothing but class on the field and in the classroom.

I don’t have the exact quote (u can look it up), however he more or less blamed the loss to MC on the refs. I’ve never seen a coach on any level do that?
You’ve never seen a coach on any level blame the refs?

Run defense that didn’t give up a TD was “the very bad”???
Well maybe not very bad but less than their best. When the other teams QB is 3-23 you get to load up the box. MC still gave up 4.5 per run. Take away the pick six, and if the other guy is 15-23 some of those FGs are TDs. Different game.

Last edited:
They were afraid to touch him along the sideline lest the officials call a personal foul and give Mt. Carmel a fourth chance to win the game. They were hoping he would either step out of bounds inadvertently or that another Batavia player would make the tackle and risk the flag for a late hit as Furlong's little toe might have been on the chalk. It only takes a moment's hesitation for the opportunity for a tackle to be lost and the opposing player score a touchdown. Numerous phantom flags can have that effect.
Good god talk about rewriting history.

Reactions: Silver Rain

Never even came close to the sideline so why would Batavia players be expecting Furlong to step out of bounds? Just a great player making a great play end of story.

That's what your fans told me after the BR game. It's in that game thread. If you are saying the calls weren't lopsided, I invite you to watch the last 5 min of the game again. You can also just look at the penalty stats for the game

That's what your fans told me after the BR game. It's in that game thread. If you are saying the calls weren't lopsided, I invite you to watch the last 5 min of the game again. You can also just look at the penalty stats for the game
First of all, MC did not wrack up penalties all season long last year especially leading into the Batavia game. Second, crying about a loss last season on the Eve of this seasons State Championship game is pretty much pathetic. Start a separate thread and cry away. Let us CCL fans relish in an epic battle from 2 of our best and most respected programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT