ADVERTISEMENT

Marist

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
For anyone who has seen them play, do they deserve to be ranked so high?

Not sure on their ranking, but they are very good. For comparison's sake, I can say they're the best TEAM we - Carmel Catholic- have faced so far this season, however, Nazareth has the best collection of players/talent.

Marist is a disciplined team. They didn't have to do anything fancy against the Corsairs. They probably have a lot of 'different' schemes/looks in their back pocket, when needed.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Do not know how good they are but they supposedly have 7 possible D1 players on roster. (Teague, McCabe, Ivy, Harrell to name a few).

Marist looked bad versus Rice, but has looked much better in the following weeks. Starters haven't seemed to be asked to do much if anything in second half of games as they have had great leads. May not have played the greatest schedule as it includes MCC when they were banged up as well as a 1-3 Rice team so it seems difficult to determine there ranking . They have NAZ and Benet coming up which could tell us a lot. For having new coach one month before start of season they are impressive.

They didn't look good against BR, but it was week 1, rivalry game, emotions high with Dunn gone, Dawzak 1st game....they have been rolling since. My fear for Marist is that they are headed for the same fate as last year. They are going to be victims of another overall down year in the ESCC. They will be 9-0 I'm sure, probably win week 1, but once they start playing tougher teams from bigger conferences, they may be in trouble. Hand to God, check the archives, I called NT beating them last year in week one for the same reason.

Reactions: MS4EVER
It will be interesting to see if the new coach can continue Dunne's success at Marist. It's a competitive "recruiting" area. If he can't acquire the same level of talent, no matter how good a coach he is, Marist will decline in a few years.

It will be interesting to see if the new coach can continue Dunne's success at Marist. It's a competitive "recruiting" area. If he can't acquire the same level of talent, no matter how good a coach he is, Marist will decline in a few years.

Don't buy the Marist will decline no matter how good a coach he is and they don't get the talent part.

Marist was a mediocre-at-best program before Dunne arrived on the scene. In the six years of the Sean Mele era at Marist, the RedHawks had one winning season (when they went 6-5 in 2005). Dunne arrived in 2008 and he turned the program around immediately with the kids he inherited, not with the ones he helped attract to Marist. Marist literally went from 3-6 and 4-5 in Mele's last two years to 9-3 and 11-3 in Dunne's first two years.

i'm late to the party……when did Dunne leave and where is he now ??

Holy heck - have you been marooned on Gilligians Island or something? No phones no motor cars... not a single luxury?

It was announced a few months back during the early summer I think that he took a job in the private sector.

They didn't look good against BR, but it was week 1, rivalry game, emotions high with Dunn gone, Dawzak 1st game....they have been rolling since. My fear for Marist is that they are headed for the same fate as last year. They are going to be victims of another overall down year in the ESCC. They will be 9-0 I'm sure, probably win week 1, but once they start playing tougher teams from bigger conferences, they may be in trouble. Hand to God, check the archives, I called NT beating them last year in week one for the same reason.
agree with all of this. week 1 I take with a grain of salt with the coaching change, throw the records out type game. Def see them 9-0 then depends on matchups but could see an early exit.

Marist has a good football team. But after this season they are going to be really small on the defensive line and the offensive line. Going into halftime last Friday night against MCC the score was 42-0. The only reason MCC scored 20 was because all of the defensive starters from Marist didn't play after halftime. And all of the skill position players on offense didn't play after halftime as well. At that point MCC started to score.

They are going to be victims of another overall down year in the ESCC.

Down year??? I was told in another thread the 8th place team in the ESCC would have won most conferences last season.

Marist has a good football team. But after this season they are going to be really small on the defensive line and the offensive line. Going into halftime last Friday night against MCC the score was 42-0. The only reason MCC scored 20 was because all of the defensive starters from Marist didn't play after halftime. And all of the skill position players on offense didn't play after halftime as well. At that point MCC started to score.

The other team tends to score when you put in the backups. Of course Marist will have a challenge next season trying to replace 2 Big 10 defensive lineman, not many schools can just plug in the next guys and not miss a beat. But overall Dunne left the program in great shape and they have lots of talent in the building at all levels. If the new guy is a good coach he is set up to continue their success, if he proves not to be a good coach you will obviously see them take a step back.

Don't buy the Marist will decline no matter how good a coach he is and they don't get the talent part.

Marist was a mediocre-at-best program before Dunne arrived on the scene. In the six years of the Sean Mele era at Marist, the RedHawks had one winning season (when they went 6-5 in 2005). Dunne arrived in 2008 and he turned the program around immediately with the kids he inherited, not with the ones he helped attract to Marist. Marist literally went from 3-6 and 4-5 in Mele's last two years to 9-3 and 11-3 in Dunne's first two years.
He will still need football players. Some traditional powers have learned that lesson recently. Quality coaching is part of the equation, not the only consideration.

Reactions: Gene K.
He will still need football players.

Can't have a team without football players, so I will readily concede your point.

My point is more along the lines of some coaches are able to get more out of average players than others. They are the ones who help coach and motivate average players to become good players and good players to become great players.

Reactions: Gene K.
I thought Dunn was as good a coach as there was and probably the best young coach in the game.

Marist lost a lot of coaching the last couple of years.

A few times Marian Central Catholic has been tabbed as a middle-to-bottom tier ESCC team that can both make the playoffs and create some noise in 5A. Possibly challenge Phillips.

Just restating what has been written here. Don't kill me.

MCC did not impress me last Friday at all. I did like their QB. Even if MCC would have had all of their football players for that game. They would not have beaten Marist. Minnesota recruit Teague didn't even play Friday for Marist.

MCC did not impress me last Friday at all. I did like their QB. Even if MCC would have had all of their football players for that game. They would not have beaten Marist. Minnesota recruit Teague didn't even play Friday for Marist.
Not bad for the 3rd string QB!:)

Starting tailback, starting QB, starting wide receiver who was QB2, starting wr who became QB3. Starting left tackle. Left guard. Forced a lot of kids to play new spots. Total mash unit for a 5A team. Marist is really good! How will they do against other 8A programs is the question.

Reactions: MR. "T"
My nephew is Thompson the receiver from Marist number 1. I like some of the things Marist does offensively. I can't wait for the Naz game in a couple of weeks. Naz has a lot of young talent. Some of their skill position players play with my nephew on the Midwest Boom. The only challenge they have had so far was Brother Rice. But I thought They had the game in hand.

Starting tailback, starting QB, starting wide receiver who was QB2, starting wr who became QB3. Starting left tackle. Left guard. Forced a lot of kids to play new spots. Total mash unit for a 5A team. Marist is really good! How will they do against other 8A programs is the question.
When are those players expected back for MCC?

My nephew is Thompson the receiver from Marist number 1. I like some of the things Marist does offensively. I can't wait for the Naz game in a couple of weeks. Naz has a lot of young talent. Some of their skill position players play with my nephew on the Midwest Boom. The only challenge they have had so far was Brother Rice. But I thought They had the game in hand.
Your nephew is a pretty talented young man. That should be a fun matchup for him as Naz's skills can match Marist's in talent, if Naz can keep up with Marist in the trenches this could be a classic.

Holy heck - have you been marooned on Gilligians Island or something? No phones no motor cars... not a single luxury?

It was announced a few months back during the early summer I think that he took a job in the private sector.

Well let's see……have quite a bit going on in my life other than high school football. That time of year i'm usually renovating a house, watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and fishing smallie streams whenever time permits. But thanks for the info. :D

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT