ADVERTISEMENT

LWC @ WV

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
interesting game this week. WV is trying to get into the post season; LWC is trying to not be Rodney Dangerfield and a win here would help. What do you all think?

Reactions: polkhighhero
Love LWC but need a v for WV to avoid the bracket of death.

Maybe I should be more like Chuck and want 8A. So maybe if LWC pulls this off, that will be the ray of sunshine.

Where is Voodoo's head on this?

Dang - ive been CrossBoned! Nothing so see here - move along, move along.;) I was hoping to lie in the weeds all week like one of those big Anacondas in South America.

LWC - no need to even practice this week! You are 5-1 and your only loss is to the Beast after being up 14-0 at half!!

Reactions: Gene K.
I have now seen WV. As I said in another post, that DVC....Damn!! It is so hard to tell. LWC seems athletic enough to hang with the big boys. That WV offense looks like it can be a big boy. I think both teams have a lot riding but WV is in a better spot as the underdog. If LWC wants any respect, short of winning the state title, they have to have this game. WV, in order to say "just a tough year in the DVC" has to win this game to keep playoff hopes alive. In all honesty at this point in the season, this is the game I am looking forward to the most. I hope LWC handles them with ease and get a little respect (as much as you can beating a 3-3 team) I need this win and a deep run into the 7A for LWC so I can tell Edgy I told you so. If not, I will be on the receiving end. Love this game. Does anyone know if WV games are on the high school cube or anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I have now seen WV. As I said in another post, that MVC....Damn!! It is so hard to tell. LWC seems athletic enough to hang with the big boys. That WV offense looks like it can be a big boy. I think both teams have a lot riding but WV is in a better spot as the underdog. If LWC wants any respect, short of winning the state title, they have to have this game. WV, in order to say "just a tough year in the MVC" has to win this game to keep playoff hopes alive. In all honesty at this point in the season, this is the game I am looking forward to the most. I hope LWC handles them with ease and get a little respect (as much as you can beating a 3-3 team) I need this win and a deep run into the 7A for LWC so I can tell Edgy I told you so. If not, I will be on the receiving end. Love this game. Does anyone know if WV games are on the high school cube or anything?

Hi Polk!

You said you had now seen WV or was it auto correct and "I have not seen" WV?

Not sure if they have been on the Cube - but WVTV streams the home games and they have been on local TV several times "WCIU or UToo" cNt remember the specific local chicago station aired the NV/WV game. Also Naperville Community TV (NCTV) aired the WV/MV game.

The only one you want to watch is the Neuqua game ;) Hopefully that is the film swap game for all remaining teams.

It's homecoming for WV this week. WV has a good O except when it's read option :) QB is talented and they have playmakers on that side of the ball. WV will put up 28 points. Question is can the D hold LWC to under 30 ?

O line is getting better each week
Running back in space is good.

D - argh don't get me started. Kids (DL) are cooked in the 4th quarter due to playing all game and no subbing.

WV pulls homecoming upset
28-27

WV too inconsistent, and this is probably the best LWC team since 2005.

I hate it when NN fan is right!

WV two turnovers and muffed punt (so basically 3) plus 4 personal foul penalities. LWC Turnover free.

WV had their chances to win this game but our playmakers have to make plays. Tough weather but lots of catchable balls dropped (one for a TD dropped)

WV has to win two straight against the Norths if they want to make it to the playoffs. Tall order now that naperville north seems to have found their offense again:(

Last edited:
Wow..glad LWC won. It was sloppy conditions for sure. That being said, one of the worst high school games I have seen. Poor refs and poor coaching. They gave WV a ton more chances than they should have. The conditions hurt WV offense for sure. I think it hurt LWC too. Couldn't get the fast guys around the end. What I have seen from WV on their tv station and what I know of LWC, in good weather, I see both offenses doing better. The final would have been 42 to 21. WV has a lot of 2 way players and they were gassed. I don't think the WV defense is all that good. Still a lot of respect for the DVC and WV.

Wow..glad LWC won. It was sloppy conditions for sure. That being said, one of the worst high school games I have seen. Poor refs and poor coaching. They gave WV a ton more chances than they should have. The conditions hurt WV offense for sure. I think it hurt LWC too. Couldn't get the fast guys around the end. What I have seen from WV on their tv station and what I know of LWC, in good weather, I see both offenses doing better. The final would have been 42 to 21. WV has a lot of 2 way players and they were gassed. I don't think the WV defense is all that good. Still a lot of respect for the DVC and WV.

WV only has two guys playing both ways -#8 and also #64 comes in on a rotation on the DL at tOnes - but today mainly in short yardage or goal line.

I dunno - I thought the WV D played fairly well considering the offense turned the ball over 3 times for short fields (the muffed punt was really bad). I think the WV offense stunk it up tonite. The kid catches the ball in the endzone for a TD to make it 14-12 and I think it's a different game.

Agree - I'd like to see both teams playing on a good field. and also agree I think the score is much higher!

LWC is solid - but I wouldn't say they wowed me. Would probably be 6-3 or 5-4 in the DVC.

Fair...I hope LWC learns from some of their mistakes, and goes deep into the playoffs. It amazes me that WV is having such a tough season. They are better than their record...no doubt. Good luck and hope they win out and make the playoffs. There is no doubt they are better than many of the teams that will make it in.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Fair...I hope LWC learns from some of their mistakes, and goes deep into the playoffs. It amazes me that WV is having such a tough season. They are better than their record...no doubt. Good luck and hope they win out and make the playoffs. There is no doubt they are better than many of the teams that will make it in.

Good luck to LWC the rest of the way. I will be rooting for them now that this game is over. I think they could Do some damage in 7A playoff bracket.

Thanks - yeah tough season can be equated to the turnovers and the penalities. When they limit that stuff - they do fine. NNFan called it perfectly - too inconsistent.

If they did make the 8A playoffs - I don't think whoever got them would love the round 1 draw,.. what happens if they have a game of zero turnovers and no personal foul penalities? 9-0 Edwardsville from 2015 and 9-0 Hindsdale Central last year caught the bad roll of the dice when a "good WV" showed up lol!!

WV only has two guys playing both ways -#8 and also #64 comes in on a rotation on the DL at tOnes - but today mainly in short yardage or goal line.

I dunno - I thought the WV D played fairly well considering the offense turned the ball over 3 times for short fields (the muffed punt was really bad). I think the WV offense stunk it up tonite. The kid catches the ball in the endzone for a TD to make it 14-12 and I think it's a different game.

Agree - I'd like to see both teams playing on a good field. and also agree I think the score is much higher!

LWC is solid - but I wouldn't say they wowed me. Would probably be 6-3 or 5-4 in the DVC.

Agreed , kids were gassed the last quarter but the D was out there a lot. I have been saying most of the games I see the D gets tired in the 4th - NO ROTATION. Happened again tonight. Oh and D has no discipline. First TD had 30 yards of flags. The dad next to me said this is our 6th unsportsmanlike conduct this year.

When you act like a star player and talk like a star player you need to Play like a star player, catch 2 of the 4 passes it's a whole new game. The last one in the endzone was a killer. Big MO would've changed right there.

LWC played hard never quit and I take my hat off to the kids. Talked to a few after the game walking to my car - wished them luck and each one said " thank you sir, we wish you well also" classy kids at LWC. I liked that.

Need to beat the Norths. Will be tough climb, will the kids quit?

Reactions: polkhighhero
That makes sense, the gassed part is what I saw. Taking like 10 to 15 seconds to roll off the pile...that sort of stuff. I did notice at the anthem, they did seem to have alot of numbers.

Agreed , kids were gassed the last quarter but the D was out there a lot. I have been saying most of the games I see the D gets tired in the 4th - NO ROTATION. Happened again tonight. Oh and D has no discipline. First TD had 30 yards of flags. The dad next to me said this is our 6th unsportsmanlike conduct this year.

When you act like a star player and talk like a star player you need to Play like a star player, catch 2 of the 4 passes it's a whole new game. The last one in the endzone was a killer. Big MO would've changed right there.

LWC played hard never quit and I take my hat off to the kids. Talked to a few after the game walking to my car - wished them luck and each one said " thank you sir, we wish you well also" classy kids at LWC. I liked that.

Need to beat the Norths. Will be tough climb, will the kids quit?

Agree.

Also - it's Easy to get gassed when you give the other team 3 extra possessions a game. (Or more if you count all the 15 yard penalities.).

Reactions: Gene K.
Agree.

Also - it's Easy to get gassed when you give the other team 3 extra possessions a game. (Or more if you count all the 15 yard penalities.).

You are 100% correct.

I understand the ball was wet, but I saw 4 maybe 5 passes that should've been caught. Not an excuse just pointing out a fact.

VD21 you seem close, is this team splitting apart, what is the problem? There is major talent on both sides of the ball. I don't understand what's happening .

You are 100% correct.

I understand the ball was wet, but I saw 4 maybe 5 passes that should've been caught. Not an excuse just pointing out a fact.

VD21 you seem close, is this team splitting apart, what is the problem? There is major talent on both sides of the ball. I don't understand what's happening .

I'm not close enough to be able to answer and even if I was - probably not good to put it out on the forum but here are my thoughts:

* let's see how they (coaches and players) respond next week at NN. I think that will be most telling and would answer those questions.

* LWC was a very winnable game (and there aren't a ton of those in the DVC or the schedule so that's why it hurt so much is my opinion).

* Oline (which was a question mark of mine at the beginning of the season) for the most part has been playing very well as a unit. Very Cohesive unit and They have one kid that can dominate (In my opinion anyway and per the games I have watched.) That's not to say they don't miss blocking schemes and make errors - just for the most part I think they doing a very good job as playing as a unit.

Offensive skills -yes WV has talent there, but up and down all season. In my opinion there seems to be a lot of "I/me" and not enough "the team" in certain areas in that group. Lots of unsportsmanlike penalities to go with a lot of missed plays. I like your quote which I will kinda paraphrase - your big time players have to step up and make plays when they are there and open for the taking. If not - it's going to be tough sledding.

Turnovers - way way too many. See above point. Your not going to consistently win while turning the ball over 3 times a game.

Penalities - way way too many and very big ones that take away huge plays and several TDs this year. Yes there have been some in other areas - but I'm talking about the dumb ones and it's not just on the offensive. Last nite the defense was called for 3 unsportsmanlike like I believe. And that has been the case in many other games on the defensive side.

Defense - with the exception of the penalities I think they have done a pretty decent job this year especially considering all the extra series the other team gets with the turnovers. #35 has played lights out all year Hopefully he is all over the guys making the dumb 15 yard penalities every other play. That said - they have struggled to generate a pass rush from the edge and along with that have been carved up via pass more than a few times this year. When they have their heavy package in - they are pretty tough to run on, so the strength of the D appears to be between the tackles and at LB.

Coaching: this is tricky as Self critique does not seem to be a well honed valued skill with some folks so i will tread lightly but I would be fine saying any of the below live and in person with anyone.
* offense - some brilliant game situation play calls that were just not executed (example last nite the screen that would have gone for 40 yards and maybe a TD but was dropped). You can be the best coach in the world and put the kids and team in the right spot - but if they don't execute - not much you can do
* that said - Also some head scratchers for example - the inside run was getting effective against LWC in the 2nd half but when they went to a classic 4 man DLine to try and stem the bleeding - we didn't attempt to run against it Even though that's what the kids know how to Run block the best and instead stayed airiel attack. Don't get me started on the Neuqua game where WV was guttIng them between the tackles but moved to focus on the air attack and the long sideline throws and wide outside pitches which were intercepted and fumbled.
*defense - I really don't know the calls - but I would like to see some disguised corner/satefy blitzes from the edge. The main blitz I have seen is a variation of one inside AGap blitz and has been run for years so every team is prepared for it with the TE or WR slanting down to sit in the vacated middle (if you run it too many times). Rotation has been beaten like a dead horse - maybe the coaches feel they don't have the guys needed to rotate in and get pressure from the edge? I just don't know. I think if they did Feel they had the personnel, we would have seen that against NC or WWS in the second half. But didn't. So back to blitzs off the edge and DLine stunts?

Bottom line - they need to regroup for next weeks game and I think that will answer our questions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT