-Varsity
-JV - which is basically the sophomore squad
-Freshman A & B - pretty self explanatory

Looking at Palatine's Schedule online, this year I see:
-Varsity
-JV
-Frosh/Soph
-Freshman A & B

They're carving out one more level this year - I know the numbers are plentiful at Palatine, but we all know the discussions of numbers being down. Given that I'm surprised they've added another level.
What's your favorite team/conference doing this season?

Last edited:
SHG generally puts out a poor product in the JV and freshmen levels and then recruits kids from the handshake line after dropping a running clock beat down. A lot of talented athletes find Jesus after those games.

Reactions: k1867
In a 4A-6A conference, around 1/2 of the CS8 schools no longer have Freshman teams and a few will struggle to play a full JV schedule due to low numbers of combined Frosh/Soph's.

As recently as 2017, every conference member was able to field both Freshman and JV teams.

The last few years I've become accustomed to:
-Varsity
-Freshaman A & B - pretty self explanatory

-Varsity
-JV
-Frosh/Soph
-Freshman A & B

They're carving out one more level this year - I know the numbers are plentiful at Palatine, but we all know the discussions of numbers being down. Given that I'm surprised they've added another level.

Some times it is semantics. Does the Soph Schedule have missing games that are labeled JV?

-Varsity

-Varsity
-JV
-Frosh/Soph
-Freshman A & B

For many of the 7A/8A schools, it used to be Varsity-Sophomore-Frosh A-Frosh B. Over time, "Sophomore" became "JV" to allow teams some more flexibility with rosters to have some "backup" juniors give their sophomore team more depth. A similar change has been made at the freshmen level - "Frosh A" has become "Frosh/Soph" to allow some schools the flexibility to play some sophomores on their Frosh A team to give them more depth/numbers. My understanding is that this is pretty uniform across at least the CSL and MSL schools at this point.

Schools like Palatine, New Trier, Barrington, Maine South, etc. that have big numbers still play the four levels as:
- "Varsity" = varsity squad of juniors/seniors and talented underclassmen
- "JV" = sophomore-only squad (maybe a talented freshman plays here)
- "Frosh/Soph" = Freshman A team with only freshmen
- "Freshman" = Freshman B team with only freshmen

Schools like Wheeling, Niles North & West, Maine East, etc. will sometimes play some juniors on "JV" and play some sophomores on "Frosh/Soph." This naming/rule change has allowed for schools with lower numbers to be able to field teams (and maybe slightly more competitive teams) for all four of the levels that the conferences have always traditionally wanted to be scheduled. This has actually happened in multiple sports (girls basketball, baseball, and so on) to allow for that flexibility in creating full rosters and being able to schedule games on all levels. Again, the big schools with big numbers still roster the teams in the way that was traditionally done (Varsity-Sophomore-Frosh A/B), just with different names now.

Sidenote: The "Junior Varsity" games of old (that I remember from my playing days) - games played on Saturday mornings with the backup juniors/seniors on the varsity roster who did not play in the varsity game on Friday night - have greatly diminished in number or been eliminated altogether at many of these schools. So when you see "JV" at a CSL/MSL school, it usually means what I always thought of as the "sophomore team." Though there may still be a few of those Saturday morning games for varsity backups... they are still also, somewhat confusingly, called "JV" games (some sports, like girls basketball, differentiate these games on the schedule as "JV2" games and sophomore games as "JV1" games, but I'm not aware of that naming convention being very widespread in football).

-Varsity

-Varsity
-JV
-Frosh/Soph
-Freshman A & B

May just be that way posted in error. Or, they may be playing a team that makes that designation and they agreed to their conference rules. Thus designating it that way on their conference schedule.

I miss the good ole days sigh. Friday Nights 5 pm Soph game & 7 pm Varsity. Saturday 11 am Soph & 1 pm Varsity. Saturday 9 AM Frosh A Main Field & B game alternate field. Thursday 4:30/5 pm Frosh A main field B game alternate field. First 3 or 4 weeks of season JV game Monday 4:30
And the Sunday Catholic games & occasional CPS games

Reactions: Panthers1211
SHG generally puts out a poor product in the JV and freshmen levels and then recruits kids from the handshake line after dropping a running clock beat down. A lot of talented athletes find Jesus after those games.
Poor product, but clocking teams? You're pathetic at this... Just give it up dude. We know you aren't the OG Mr. Simmons.

For many of the 7A/8A schools, it used to be Varsity-Sophomore-Frosh A-Frosh B. Over time, "Sophomore" became "JV" to allow teams some more flexibility with rosters to have some "backup" juniors give their sophomore team more depth. A similar change has been made at the freshmen level - "Frosh A" has become "Frosh/Soph" to allow some schools the flexibility to play some sophomores on their Frosh A team to give them more depth/numbers. My understanding is that this is pretty uniform across at least the CSL and MSL schools at this point.

Schools like Palatine, New Trier, Barrington, Maine South, etc. that have big numbers still play the four levels as:
- "Varsity" = varsity squad of juniors/seniors and talented underclassmen
- "JV" = sophomore-only squad (maybe a talented freshman plays here)
- "Frosh/Soph" = Freshman A team with only freshmen
- "Freshman" = Freshman B team with only freshmen

Schools like Wheeling, Niles North & West, Maine East, etc. will sometimes play some juniors on "JV" and play some sophomores on "Frosh/Soph." This naming/rule change has allowed for schools with lower numbers to be able to field teams (and maybe slightly more competitive teams) for all four of the levels that the conferences have always traditionally wanted to be scheduled. This has actually happened in multiple sports (girls basketball, baseball, and so on) to allow for that flexibility in creating full rosters and being able to schedule games on all levels. Again, the big schools with big numbers still roster the teams in the way that was traditionally done (Varsity-Sophomore-Frosh A/B), just with different names now.

Sidenote: The "Junior Varsity" games of old (that I remember from my playing days) - games played on Saturday mornings with the backup juniors/seniors on the varsity roster who did not play in the varsity game on Friday night - have greatly diminished in number or been eliminated altogether at many of these schools. So when you see "JV" at a CSL/MSL school, it usually means what I always thought of as the "sophomore team." Though there may still be a few of those Saturday morning games for varsity backups... they are still also, somewhat confusingly, called "JV" games (some sports, like girls basketball, differentiate these games on the schedule as "JV2" games and sophomore games as "JV1" games, but I'm not aware of that naming convention being very widespread in football).
Thanks for the insights! The Frosh/Soph game time were very aligned to what the Freshman "A" used to be, so that totally makes sense. BTW, the " what used to be called JV" squad is referred to as Varsity B in the MSL - And yeah, they play maybe 4 or 5 times in a season

There seems to be a lot of logical arguments for shrinking the number classes with football

The IHSA would never apply the same logic of classes towards basketball as they do football

There seems to be a lot of logical arguments for shrinking the number classes with football

The IHSA would never apply the same logic of classes towards basketball as they do football

Yeah, more states are creating more divisions which seems to be more revenue driven than anything. The quality of football in Illinois is pretty low from 4A down. Combining those levels into 2 classes would go a long way in making the playoffs more prestigious.

I understand this will upset all the white people with 5’7 170 pound kids running 5.0 40’s, but not everybody deserves to be a state champ. Let’s be real, schools like Murphysboro don’t belong anywhere near a meaningful football game.

Yeah, more states are creating more divisions which seems to be more revenue driven than anything. The quality of football in Illinois is pretty low from 4A down. Combining those levels into 2 classes would go a long way in making the playoffs more prestigious.

I understand this will upset all the white people with 5’7 170 pound kids running 5.0 40’s, but not everybody deserves to be a state champ. Let’s be real, schools like Murphysboro don’t belong anywhere near a meaningful football game.
Maybe, but at some point isn't it about kids getting opportunities to play football? You know, the "they need football more than football needs them" kids? Using this logic, there wouldn't be a whole lot of CPS teams. If that was the case, what would I do on Thursday afternoons at 3:30?

Maybe, but at some point isn't it about kids getting opportunities to play football? You know, the "they need football more than football needs them" kids? Using this logic, there wouldn't be a whole lot of CPS teams. If that was the case, what would I do on Thursday afternoons at 3:30?
They still get their 9 games in? Unless you are advocating for everyone to get 14 games in and be state champions so they aren’t bored at 3:30? What a dumb take.

Take your 5-9 losses and then get to losing on the hardwood, pool or mat all winter. I hear other sports practice at 3:30.

It's GrossNoises, and you're still terrible at this. Go be other-than-straight with anyone else.

I love how you can’t resist crawling out of the sewer to make DisgustingSounds with me. Anywhere I go you follow.

How is QND’s lower level teams looking? I am sure they are pathetic. You guys will fit right in with Lanphier and Southeast. The CS8 West makes the Sangamo look like the SEC.

What the heck, I was a 5'8 170 pound white kid running a 5.0 40 and won a state championship in the second highest division.

Disgusting sounds disgusting noise? Same dude making the same disgusting smells on Edgy. Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t this guy get the royal flush a few times. Carry on.

They still get their 9 games in? Unless you are advocating for everyone to get 14 games in and be state champions so they aren’t bored at 3:30? What a dumb take.

Take your 5-9 losses and then get to losing on the hardwood, pool or mat all winter. I hear other sports practice at 3:30.
Never said they should get 14 games in. Tons of these schools don't have the resources/horses to play deep into the playoffs. Just saying that kids want the opportunity to play for a championship, even if that opportunity is small. Eliminating classes will eliminate those small opportunities. Eliminating those small opportunities will cause even more kids not to play football. I simply think there is more to high school football than state championships. If you don't see the value in that, that's cool. I just don't agree.

I simply think there is more to high school football than state championships.

I agree. So combine 1A and 2A, 3A and 4A. Most kids don’t play high school football for the state championships. The ones that do transfer to better schools. Kids that are cool with losing seasons go to schools like Quincy Notre Dame or U High.

Never said they should get 14 games in. Tons of these schools don't have the resources/horses to play deep into the playoffs. Just saying that kids want the opportunity to play for a championship, even if that opportunity is small. Eliminating classes will eliminate those small opportunities. Eliminating those small opportunities will cause even more kids not to play football. I simply think there is more to high school football than state championships. If you don't see the value in that, that's cool. I just don't agree.
The thing you're responding to is just an ogre that, nah that's offensive to ogre's...

I'll start over...

That thing you're responding to is simply a load that should have been discarded before it found an egg. It's poor mother must have spent her final days regretting that night she was standing on the corner outside of the Lighthouse in Rochester and met that stranger who offered her $50 for her company. Don't take anything it types with any percentage of validity. It's only doing what those who live in the sub 40 IQ level world do... attempting to garner your attention by making little sense and ruffling your feathers. And that may be offensive to those with sub 40 IQs... bc this thing may possess a sub 10. It's best we all do as we did around playoff time with the actual Mr. Simmons, and ignore it. Advice I shall be taking for myself as well. Bc this current thing, whatever it calls itself... is a copycat. A big fat phony. Unoriginal. A wannabe. A never gonna be. And a bum of the highest order from Bum Land. Let the bum live in bliss.

The thing you're responding to is just an ogre that, nah that's offensive to ogre's...

I'll start over...

That thing you're responding to is simply a load that should have been discarded before it found an egg. It's poor mother must have spent her final days regretting that night she was standing on the corner outside of the Lighthouse in Rochester and met that stranger who offered her $50 for her company. Don't take anything it types with any percentage of validity. It's only doing what those who live in the sub 40 IQ level world do... attempting to garner your attention by making little sense and ruffling your feathers. And that may be offensive to those with sub 40 IQs... bc this thing may possess a sub 10. It's best we all do as we did around playoff time with the actual Mr. Simmons, and ignore it. Advice I shall be taking for myself as well. Bc this current thing, whatever it calls itself... is a copycat. A big fat phony. Unoriginal. A wannabe. A never gonna be. And a bum of the highest order from Bum Land. Let the bum live in bliss.

You’re obsessed with me. You are DisgustingNoises. Look at that wall of text you dedicated out of hate and anger. Not an original thought to be found.

How are QND’s numbers in the lower level? I’m sure they are not great. You guys should have joined the Sangamo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT