ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Way North student will go to....

The boundries go by junior high school.
Summit hill and Frankfort go to LWE
Mokena, and new Lenox -Martino go to LWC
Manhattan and new Lenox-Liberty and Union go to LWW

Also interesting is the fact that East and Central are the two biggest schools in the district and that's why Central wasn't targeted for closing. I've said for months that depending upon state funding etc LW West is also far from safe here. If they make another cut LWE and LWC can handle 7000 kids combined. Enrollments right now are in the 6800 range.

Also interesting is the fact that East and Central are the two biggest schools in the district and that's why Central wasn't targeted for closing. I've said for months that depending upon state funding etc LW West is also far from safe here. If they make another cut LWE and LWC can handle 7000 kids combined. Enrollments right now are in the 6800 range.
That is what I was kinda of driving at. They close one of the two smaller schools but then are still left with one not even close to capacity and the overall can still be handled by the 2 big ones. Bad situation all the way around.

Find it odd that a school of 1500 or whatever is closing to save money... but we have several hundred schools of under 300 that remain open across the state..

Find it odd that a school of 1500 or whatever is closing to save money... but we have several hundred schools of under 300 that remain open across the state..

Only if that school of 300 was in a multiple school district with each school being able to hold 2000 kids.

Montini is right at the 30 mile limit from Mokena...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard PC coaches have descended on LWN like vultures like SMU after Death Penalty

Last edited:
Reactions: chief1968
LWE,

Just to be clear its direct line mileage so distance from the geographical center of Mokena to Montini is 23.4 miles, to Naz is 20.4 miles, to Mt. Carmel is 23.2 miles, and to Loyola Academy 39.1. So really the only Privates out of play are those up north like LA, CoM, Marian Central, and St V.

Month I is right at the 30 mile limit from Mokena...:)

His do transfers work when a school closes? If the kids go to a private school, do they have to sit a year?

USD,

The kids do not(should not, but who knows for sure without a ruling request) get penalized for a districts decision to close a school. As long as the player was eligible to play, ie no issues with discipline or Grades, they are(at least should be) immediately eligible at the school they chose to go to.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with kids, parents, and coaches from the privates as well as the schools they'd be transferred to.

I would also like to hear from the IHSA committee poster on the board The Official position IHSA would take on this issue. I just don't see why the student wouldn't have an open choice to go to the newly assigned district school or a private school instead. Should be handled just as if they are starting their choice all over again in 9th grade with no restriction on choice for the student.

His do transfers work when a school closes? If the kids go to a private school, do they have to sit a year?

Well with LWN now going to East and
Consolidate like mad men... almost every small district in the state has lost enrollment

Well pretty much every other place in the country is also unit districts but that horse left the barn a hundred years ago.

Lincoln Way East per board president Kevin Molloy this AM on WJOL in Joliet

I'm assuming LWE will be 8A. Every year, out of the Big Three (H-F, 'Brook and LWE), that conference will be well represented in being in that 8A title game. Wouldn't be surprised if two out of those three teams face each other now with 1 - 32 seeding. Gonna be exciting to watch.

Reactions: chief1968
A beautiful school closing.A sad situation.Yet in Chicago new schools going up in poor neighborhoods are NOT closing.Why is this and who is paying the freight?

A beautiful school closing.A sad situation.Yet in Chicago new schools going up in poor neighborhoods are NOT closing.Why is this and who is paying the freight?

CPS has closed over a 50 of their schools in last few years.

How did they come to the decision for this specific school, especially since it was almost new?

How did they come to the decision for this specific school, especially since it was almost new?

People have interest in renting that one out andCentral and East are the biggest schools.

Obama High School in 2017,Sarah Goode High School,Solario Academy,Hancock High School are just a few

Obama High School in 2017,Sarah Goode High School,Solario Academy,Hancock High School are just a few

Hancock has been open for 20 years.

The other two have been built in areas of high under reported populations.

Here is a link to about 50 schools that were closed two years ago. This doesn't include all the schools Rahm has sold off to charter organizations.

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/school_utilization/

North was the most logical to close. It is easier to send the north Kids to East, Mokena to Central and Manhattan to west. One of the big questions was where to send the Manhattan kids. Sending them to anyplace but central and west was one of the deciding factors. Close West and then long bus rides for the kids on the west and south of the district. Close North and then the bus rides are closer in line for the whole district

Who buys/rents LWN building? A junior college, satellite college campus for a bigger university, a change of building for a local private school?

Who buys/rents LWN building? A junior college, satellite college campus for a bigger university, a change of building for a local private school?
Would have to think it would be a JUCO or a satellite campus for a university, could a local private school foot the bill to pay for a new building like that?

Would have to think it would be a JUCO or a satellite campus for a university, could a local private school foot the bill to pay for a new building like that?

Illini, I have heard for years that some alumni of a popular south side private school would like the school to move to the suburbs. Now is the time to put up. The opportunity is there.

I will believe it when I see it if someone comes to rent LWN. That's recent smokescreen to justify the closing.
No, they didn't need to close LWN to prevent long bus rides from Manhattan as the Manhattan students are already going to Central and ride past LWW now.
LWN was operating at the highest capacity, 76%, of any of the 4 schools and 63% of the tax revenue for the district comes from the Frankfort township. Plus, the two newest schools each cost over a million dollars less to operate per year, using district reports, than the oldest school, LWC, due to modern construction standards as well as minimal repair costs.
As far as the maybe two schools emergency fallback plan, even based on the boards worst case decreasing enrollment "projections" the two schools would be over capacity until the mid 2020's.
Sorry, Edgy, I will be quiet now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT