ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Way North student will go to....

Illini, I have heard for years that some alumni of a popular south side private school would like the school to move to the suburbs. Now is the time to put up. The opportunity is there.
You are right that now would be the time to put up. Interesting to see what happens.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey. If they closed west, it would create more of a busing problem. If west closes, where do they send the Manhattan kids? Could Central handle all of New Lenox and plus Manhattan? By closing North, it creates an easier option on where the kids eventually go to. Plus the board has that jr high district boundary that they insist on keeping. . With 6 jr high districts how else would they split it up with 2 in each district.

Correct, I would be surprised to see any institution got into North. The board for some strange reason think that they just might need it in the future.

Ref, sorry don't mean to come off to aggressively, but what I was saying is the Manhattan kids already go to Central, nothing would change for them if LWW had closed. Actually, LWW only has approximately 1,250 and LWC has 1,850, if they were both combined into LWC it would still be under the functional and architectural capacity.
But LWC was really the one to close due to the financial costs involved to operate the old building.

That is why they didn't close central. They think they will need a fourth school in the future, If they shut down Central, it would cost them too much to reopen it. Many things are not up to code and are grandfathered in. The sprinkling system for one. Millions to upgrade it. East is in the same boat, just not nearly as bad as central

They want to maintain north so they can reopen it in the future. The school board believes they will need 4 schools in the future, they just might, but it will be longer then they think

So if a school like Central is in SUCH bad shape structurally shouldn't they have closed that school because of just basic safety for students? I think using the argument of it would cost too much to reopen should tell you right there that's the school that should have closed. Again North was at the highest capacity of any Lincoln-Way school, costs less to maintain than East and Central so I'm still struggling to figure out on why that's the school they closed.

I get that projected growth in New Lenox will be X-times more than Frankfort in the future but projections are what got the district in this mess in the first place. As an alum of LWN I'm disgusted with how this whole process has played out

The reason that they didn't close Central is that the state wanted them to close two schools and that may still happen. If it does only Central and East are large enough to house all the kids.

LWEDad, I too have heard that rumor repeated many times, but, so far no one has ever been able to produce any proof that was recommended by the ISBE.

Bwm, it was stated at a board meeting by a board member and was noted by a local paper. It was not a rumor.

Exactly, LWEDad, it was stated by a board member and repeated in the local paper.
That was the same board member who said at a board meeting "if anything appeared on social media it didn't come from him".
Only to find out later he has three, count'em, three, Facebook accounts in his own name where he regularly posts.

The state still has to approve the closing of North, This just might not be over with yet

Reactions: Bwm57
I will believe it when I see it if someone comes to rent LWN. That's recent smokescreen to justify the closing.
No, they didn't need to close LWN to prevent long bus rides from Manhattan as the Manhattan students are already going to Central and ride past LWW now.
LWN was operating at the highest capacity, 76%, of any of the 4 schools and 63% of the tax revenue for the district comes from the Frankfort township. Plus, the two newest schools each cost over a million dollars less to operate per year, using district reports, than the oldest school, LWC, due to modern construction standards as well as minimal repair costs.
As far as the maybe two schools emergency fallback plan, even based on the boards worst case decreasing enrollment "projections" the two schools would be over capacity until the mid 2020's.
Sorry, Edgy, I will be quiet now.

I bet the "boards worst case decreasing enrollment "projections" " a decade ago never saw them closing a school in 2016 either. But it is going to happen. Maybe even a second school, also. That is the problem with projections. They only have so much value.

Exactly, Doppelganger, projections can change either way.
That's why it was silly to not close the school with the smallest current attendance percentage compared to capacity now or the one that costs the most to run each year. Those two items are not based upon projections or speculation.
Instead they closed the one that has the highest occupancy percentage, 76%, and the one that cost the least to run, using the numbers supplied by the district.

The board knows it will be closing LWW in the future because once the enrollment drops to the point where the enrollment can fit into two high schools, LW 210 becomes a two-building district. Only Central and East are large enough to handle the enrollment when it drops to around 6,100-6,000 which should be in the next 6-8 years. If the board had any sense, it would have closed one of the new high schools now and begun the phase out of the other one in the next 3-4 years.

Actually Hillrock using the current enrollment numbers from the Illinois Syate Board of Education website,
www.isbe.net, the district doesn't go under 6,200 enrolled until 2023.
And since those are using today's current enrollment numbers that assumes no new construction between now and 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT