ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Talk: EDGYTIM 2024 Preliminary Class 4A Top 10 poll

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
This is still a work in progress....I hope to have this completed Thursday evening and I will remove this when the story is finished and edited. Thanks

Please note.....I'm using Steve Soucie's Preseason Playoff Projections with his permission. Please DO NOT share this anywhere on social media including Steve's projections along with my thoughts. Any violation of this simple rule will immediately void your subscription status with no questions asked. Any questions please refer to the Message Board rules and Yahoo Terms and Conditions pinned at the top of this board or email me edgytim@edgytim.com I will re-release this for free a little bit down the road and again this is NOT a final poll.

Thanks

2024 EDGYTIM Preliminary Class 4A Top 10 poll

1. Rochester-
The defending Class 4A state champions and easily one of the top overall football programs in Illinois over the past two decades will simply reload this summer. The Rockets and head coach Derek Leonard (198-36 in 19 seasons) will be seeking the programs 10th state title in 2024. Rochester welcomes back just 5 returning starters (3 offense 2 defense) including senior QB Bryan Zulauf and no one has reloaded as well as Derek Leonard and the Rockets.

2. IC Catholic Prep The Knights and head coach Bill Krefft have built a small school enrollment dynasty over the last several seasons, but can this team and program reload after graduating an amazing senior class this past spring? A lot of new but very talented faces will step up this summer and beyond.

3. Mt. Zion The Braves will no question be very capable of scoring points in bunches this fall. The Mt. Zion offense looks strong this summer and keep an eye on junior 4 star ranked TE JC Anderson along with senior 3 star ranked WR Brayden Trimble (Illinois) plus senior WR/DB Jacob Harvey. Also Mt. Zion junior QB Keller Stocks looked really impressive in 7on7 and has the look for a quarterback capable of some big things in 2024.

4. Morris The Morris Football Club and head coach Alan Thorson will look to reload after making it to the Class 4A state quarterfinals losing to JCA to end the season. Morris welcomes back 10 starters (5 offense 5 defense) and the offense will lean on three starters back at receiver led by senior WR Jack Wheeler (6-foot-5, 190 pounds). Morris will again reload as well as any program in 4A this summer.

5. Richmond Burton The Rockets and Hall of Fame head coach Mike Noll are coming off a 7-3 season in 2023, the first time in Noll's tenure that the Rockets won just single digit games in a season. Richmond Burton welcomes back 11 returning starters (5 offense 6 defense) and I'm expecting a much more motivated RB team this summer and also in 2024 and a Rockets team that will play as physical as anyone in the state.

6. St. Viator Do Not overlook the Lions here. St Viator and head coach Dave Archibald welcomes back an impressive 16 returning starters including 9 on offense. Senior QB Cooper Kmet (yes Cole's younger brother) has a cannon and plenty of quality skills surrounding him this summer.

7. Murphysboro The Red Devils and head coach Gary Carter has gotten the program to 6 straight IHSA state playoff appearances and are coming off an 11-2 record in 2023. Look for Murphysboro to again challenge to win the Southern Illinois River to River (Ohio) conference and beyond in 2024.

8. Wheaton Academy The Warriors and head coach Jim Johanik are also coming off a solid 11-2 season in 223 and welcome back 15 returning starters including 8 starters back on offense. A big question this summer is can the Warriors reload at quarterback? Gone is standout QB Belay Brummel from a season ago and if the WA offense can show anything close to the last handful of seasons...this is a dangerous team here in 4A in 2024.

9. St. Laurence The Vikings and head coach Adam Nissen also had a fantastic 2023 season making it to the Class 4A state title game before losing to Rochester. No question the Vikings will need top reload this summer especially on offense with just two starters back....but this program no question has continued to climb higher and if they can find a way to make the IHSA playoffs and survive a rugged regular season slate...the Vikings could be a very hard team to matchup against in the post-season.

10. DePaul Prep Shhhh. The Rams are another program that has been somewhat quietly climbing out and up going 2-7, 3-6 and then 4-5 last season for head coach Mike Passarella. DePaul Prep is a growing school and football program and welcomes back 16 returning starters (8 offense 8 defense) this fall. The regular season schedule is no joke here but if the Rams can get to 5 wins? Look out 4A.

My 5 Class 4A Teams Who Just Missed:

Boylan
Anna Jonesboro
Chicago Phillips
Coal City
Cahokia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.