ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk CCL/ESCC - Anyone know the relegation tie breakers?

CCLorBUST

Sep 21, 2017
So now that football season sadness has totally set in and signing day does nothing for me, I caught myself wandering to the current CCL/ESCC standings. Since we've reached the halfway point of this dual-conference experiment, we're shaping up to have not only shootouts for division titles but also inter-divisional survival at the end of the season. I can't seem to find any potential tie-breaker rules on the websites but it looks like we're in for quite a treat with 3 teams tied at the bottom of the blue and 3 teams tied for top of the green. Plus Naz is hanging around a top the orange who will surely move up to the green for '21 just outrunning JCA bumping up as well.

With a lot of teams bringing back a ton of talent for next year, who seems to be the favorites to move up or move down?? Or what team is hoping to move down a division...

Cant argue MC isn't the heavy favorite to repeat the blue with basically a state championship team returning but as always, all teams in the blue will reload. The green will be up for grabs again but with SR having the best player in the conference returning for 2 more years, hard to say they don't have a slight advantage. Sayles is back for ND but Schurr was that teams engine. Montini gotta rebound from losing the division OPOY in Bell. The orange is obviously JJ's world, go get him. JCA scrums their way ahead the white which I don't see them losing a division game again in '20. Wish I knew more about the Purple besides seeing them lose crossover games but any one of them can go on a 5-4/6-3 run to win the division. Marian Catholic seems to be the best talented and coached team in the red division so they'll have to get the nod for the repeat.

What's the "too early to tell" predictions??

CCL-ESCC Blue
W L PF PA W L
MOUNT CARMEL
3 0 66 41 14 0
Brother Rice 1 2 44 77 8 5
Loyola Academy 1 2 55 45 8 4
Marist 1 2 42 44 8 5

CCL-ESCC Green W L PF PA W L
MONTINI CATHOLIC
2 1 93 84 8 3
NOTRE DAME 2 1 56 21 8 3
ST. RITA 2 1 64 45 10 4
Providence Catholic 0 3 28 91 8 4

CCL-ESCC Orange
W L PF PA W L
NAZARETH ACADEMY
3 0 125 42 13 1
Benet 2 1 64 51 6 4
St. Laurence 1 2 88 84 8 5
De La Salle 0 3 13 120 4 8

CCL-ESCC White
W L PF PA W L
JOLIET CATHOLIC
3 0 138 35 8 4
Fenwick 1 2 59 96 6 5
Marmion Academy 1 2 71 94 7 4
Saint Ignatius 1 2 49 92 5 6

CCL-ESCC Purple
W L PF PA W L
SAINT PATRICK
2 1 78 66 5 7
SAINT VIATOR 2 1 82 75 4 5
Carmel Catholic 1 2 79 93 2 8
Marian Central 1 2 63 68 4 5

CCL-ESCC Red
W L PF PA W L
MARIAN CATHOLIC
3 0 154 38 5 6
Leo Catholic 2 1 66 79 3 7
DePaul Prep 1 2 70 82 3 6
St. Joseph 0 3 18 109 1 8

I believe you are underestimating LA this coming year. They have 17 - 18 starters returning. Last year’s team was the youngest in the holecek era by far.

Reactions: Gene K.
I've not seen anything on tiebreakers either. Maybe something will come out this year. Tiebreakers aside, here are my predictions on the movement after Year 2 of conference play:

Blue
Marist down to Green

Green
Rita up to Blue
Provi down to Orange

Orange
Naz up to Green
De La Salle down to White

White
JCA up to Orange
Marmion down to Purple

Purple
Viator up to White
Carmel down to Red

Red
Marian Catholic up to Purple

I've not seen anything on tiebreakers either. Maybe something will come out this year. Tiebreakers aside, here are my predictions on the movement after Year 2 of conference play:

Blue
Marist down to Green

Green
Rita up to Blue
Provi down to Orange

Orange
Naz up to Green
De La Salle down to White

White
JCA up to Orange
Marmion down to Purple

Purple
Viator up to White
Carmel down to Red

Red
Marian Catholic up to Purple
If this holds up, we would get Naz Montini and JCA PC. Give me that at ATI Memorial in a twilight twinbill

So now that football season sadness has totally set in and signing day does nothing for me, I caught myself wandering to the current CCL/ESCC standings. Since we've reached the halfway point of this dual-conference experiment, we're shaping up to have not only shootouts for division titles but also inter-divisional survival at the end of the season. I can't seem to find any potential tie-breaker rules on the websites but it looks like we're in for quite a treat with 3 teams tied at the bottom of the blue and 3 teams tied for top of the green. Plus Naz is hanging around a top the orange who will surely move up to the green for '21 just outrunning JCA bumping up as well.

With a lot of teams bringing back a ton of talent for next year, who seems to be the favorites to move up or move down?? Or what team is hoping to move down a division...

Cant argue MC isn't the heavy favorite to repeat the blue with basically a state championship team returning but as always, all teams in the blue will reload. The green will be up for grabs again but with SR having the best player in the conference returning for 2 more years, hard to say they don't have a slight advantage. Sayles is back for ND but Schurr was that teams engine. Montini gotta rebound from losing the division OPOY in Bell. The orange is obviously JJ's world, go get him. JCA scrums their way ahead the white which I don't see them losing a division game again in '20. Wish I knew more about the Purple besides seeing them lose crossover games but any one of them can go on a 5-4/6-3 run to win the division. Marian Catholic seems to be the best talented and coached team in the red division so they'll have to get the nod for the repeat.

What's the "too early to tell" predictions??

CCL-ESCC Blue
W L PF PA W L
MOUNT CARMEL
3 0 66 41 14 0
Brother Rice 1 2 44 77 8 5
Loyola Academy 1 2 55 45 8 4
Marist 1 2 42 44 8 5

CCL-ESCC Green W L PF PA W L
MONTINI CATHOLIC
2 1 93 84 8 3
NOTRE DAME 2 1 56 21 8 3
ST. RITA 2 1 64 45 10 4
Providence Catholic 0 3 28 91 8 4

CCL-ESCC Orange
W L PF PA W L
NAZARETH ACADEMY
3 0 125 42 13 1
Benet 2 1 64 51 6 4
St. Laurence 1 2 88 84 8 5
De La Salle 0 3 13 120 4 8

CCL-ESCC White
W L PF PA W L
JOLIET CATHOLIC
3 0 138 35 8 4
Fenwick 1 2 59 96 6 5
Marmion Academy 1 2 71 94 7 4
Saint Ignatius 1 2 49 92 5 6

CCL-ESCC Purple
W L PF PA W L
SAINT PATRICK
2 1 78 66 5 7
SAINT VIATOR 2 1 82 75 4 5
Carmel Catholic 1 2 79 93 2 8
Marian Central 1 2 63 68 4 5

CCL-ESCC Red
W L PF PA W L
MARIAN CATHOLIC
3 0 154 38 5 6
Leo Catholic 2 1 66 79 3 7
DePaul Prep 1 2 70 82 3 6
St. Joseph 0 3 18 109 1 8
Wasn’t the original breakdown some hybrid format utilizing 80 percent record and 20 percent enrollment? If so that gives some wiggle room for it to not be a straight up relegation model and the conference to group teams how they want.

I am all in favor of JC and PC being together.

Ironic to think if SR rises, Marist falls, Naz rises and Provi falls as predicted, the Blue division in '21 will be back to the CCL blue of old with MC, LA, BR and SR and the Green will be the ESCC's best of Naz, Marist and Notre Dame with the lone CCL-Montini

Ironic to think if SR rises, Marist falls, Naz rises and Provi falls as predicted, the Blue division in '21 will be back to the CCL blue of old with MC, LA, BR and SR and the Green will be the ESCC's best of Naz, Marist and Notre Dame with the lone CCL-Montini

See what you're implying and it ain't gonna happen. I'll bet my user name on it. Everyone is where they belong competitively, except Naz who should be way higher.

IMO - Marist is going to be the sleeper especially if Jackson stays and doesn't follow his old man. That Tate WR is really good and they have some others that are good possession receivers. I think their FS moves back to RB and they have 3 OLs returning. On D I think they have 4-5 starters back too. The rest of the CCL Blue will be tough - Rice returns 5 on on O and 5 on D (I think Rice has the best MLB in the league in Jones), LA and MC return a ton too.

I'm suggesting, when this happens each team will be a shell of their better selves.

In JCA's case, I completely disagree. Their next three teams should be really strong. The current soph class at JCA is the best class they have had in a long time.

Reactions: pjjp
In JCA's case, I completely disagree. Their next three teams should be really strong. The current soph class at JCA is the best class they have had in a long time.
I'm not saying they won't be good. But I don't think they are the team they were 5-10 years ago with some of those epic battles against MCHS.

See what you're implying and it ain't gonna happen. I'll bet my user name on it. Everyone is where they belong competitively, except Naz who should be way higher.

Wasn't trying to knock anybody with an implication. Although I thought Naz should've been in the green to begin with, I've enjoyed the crossover matchups. MC v. Marist, Rita v. Notre Dame/JCA are a fun change of pace and if a couple bounces go the other way and the blue easily wouldnt be the traditional teams. Just pointed out how after two years, the grand CCL/ESCC plan might've shaken itself back into the past.

Reactions: CCLGUY1964
I'm not saying they won't be good. But I don't think they are the team they were 5-10 years ago with some of those epic battles against MCHS.

Again, i will disagree. This group has the potential to be the best team JCA has had since 2007.

Reactions: RockSoup
Again, i will disagree. This group has the potential to be the best team JCA has had since 2007.
Then that will be a good thing. IL HS FB loves a good JCA team. Most state titles in history . (even though none really count ;)). I've really missed playing the Hilltoppers the last couple years.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Wasn't trying to knock anybody with an implication. Although I thought Naz should've been in the green to begin with, I've enjoyed the crossover matchups. MC v. Marist, Rita v. Notre Dame/JCA are a fun change of pace and if a couple bounces go the other way and the blue easily wouldnt be the traditional teams. Just pointed out how after two years, the grand CCL/ESCC plan might've shaken itself back into the past.
I agree with enjoying the games with non traditional opponents. ND had a heck of team last year. Great game start to finish.

But remember the time and effort that was put into the merger. Why did they go with only four teams in each division when an automatic playoff berth would go to the winner of a 5-team division? As explained to me it was to try to qualify as many teams as possible for the playoffs. Division winners with five wins should have more than enough playoff points to qualify.

Yes some of the crossovers are tough but everyone does have two free weeks to start the season to hunt for wins. And with the smaller schools having their own division they still have opportunities. If we went to a closed conference of ten teams with nine conference games, I think it death of football at some smaller schools. With this set up they do not have to hunt for games weeks 3-9.

If we went back to the old model of the CCL of SR, MC, LA, Fenwick, STL, BR, and PC the possibility of a good team not making the playoffs could be very high.

It’s not perfect but I don’t see another model that meets the needs of most of the schools.

Unfortunately SR and JCA are not renewing for next year. I've heard SR is struggling to find games as many ADs/Coaches have declined. Potential for an out of state game coming for the Mustangs? Teams are wary now looking for a one game commitment since the conference is set to re-align next year and home and aways changing. MC going the CPS route once again...

Unfortunately SR and JCA are not renewing for next year. I've heard SR is struggling to find games as many ADs/Coaches have declined. Potential for an out of state game coming for the Mustangs? Teams are wary now looking for a one game commitment since the conference is set to re-align next year and home and aways changing. MC going the CPS route once again...
SR wanted to renew and even with re-alignment the first two weeks will not be league games. But everyone is looking for five wins. SR went big and missed the playoff two years ago. But I think they are a better team today because of it. Just my opinion.

Knowing the talent returning for the next year or two, I think SR is better off downgrading the first two weeks knowing they're home for loyola and montini in week 3 and 4. No need to get into a fist fight with JCA to open the year. Keep Brown, Henry Wilson and Kyle James healthy for your divisional run knowing JCA will be looming in the playoffs. This is a battle tested team returning for Kuska, take advantage of it early. I believe the basketball world calls it "load management".

Knowing the talent returning for the next year or two, I think SR is better off downgrading the first two weeks knowing they're home for loyola and montini in week 3 and 4. No need to get into a fist fight with JCA to open the year. Keep Brown, Henry Wilson and Kyle James healthy for your divisional run knowing JCA will be looming in the playoffs. This is a battle tested team returning for Kuska, take advantage of it early. I believe the basketball world calls it "load management".
And don’t sleep on Isaiah Bragg, who did great being an offensive option after Wilson went down for the season. He was at NIUs junior day this offseason.

Reactions: tomloner
I would have loved to see what could've been with a healthy Schurr. The game at SR was a defensive clinic of how talented "undersized" defenses could be. I don't remember how many were seniors. Will ND be returning alot next year?

I would have loved to see what could've been with a healthy Schurr. The game at SR was a defensive clinic of how talented "undersized" defenses could be. I don't remember how many were seniors. Will ND be returning alot next year?

Schurr's injury issues at the end of the season were a shame. As were Ty Gavin's in 2018.

Dons lose quite a bit of talent, especially on the defensive side. Not sure exact numbers, but I know their defensive all-conference selections were all seniors. However, their rising senior class went 9-0 as freshmen and 9-0 as sophomores. Should hopefully be more of a reloading than rebuilding.

As previously mentioned, SR still finalizing their week 2 but expect them to open up with two out of state opponents. MC going CPS route with a popular/familiar face...

As previously mentioned, SR still finalizing their week 2 but expect them to open up with two out of state opponents. MC going CPS route with a popular/familiar face...
Looks like they will play out of state week one. It's easy to find games when the team is rebuilding. When you start winning most teams never return calls or emails even to say no. YouTube and Hudl videos of Kaleb Brown are killing scheduling.

Off season workouts have been solid. As good as the workouts were last year with the new fitness center, that's the base line this year. I think they should be very competitive next year. 2-3 juniors starting on the OL will have good size. While Kaleb Brown will be on everyone's scouting report there are several seniors on both sides of the ball that will on a lot of college radars.

I think the season ticket package with pregame food and reserved parking will be up big time this year.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.

Looks like they will play out of state week one. It's easy to find games when the team is rebuilding. When you start winning most teams never return calls or emails even to say no. YouTube and Hudl videos of Kaleb Brown are killing scheduling.

Off season workouts have been solid. As good as the workouts were last year with the new fitness center, that's the base line this year. I think they should be very competitive next year. 2-3 juniors starting on the OL will have good size. While Kaleb Brown will be on everyone's scouting report there are several seniors on both sides of the ball that will on a lot of college radars.

I think the season ticket package with pregame food and reserved parking will be up big time this year.

Home v Chesterton (IN)

Home v Cardinal Ritter (MO)

Reactions: Bowie50
What type of team will they field after the debacle last year? Any idea if many kids transferred out?

They had some kids transfer out and a couple transfer in. Their biggest concern will be replacing the QB that threw for 8,000 yards. The top WR is returning assuming they can get a QB to throw to him. Right now I would say they are about two notches below last year. The RB has an 8 game suspension right now so Rita won't see him.

They could've stayed in state to play Naz. Now both are going OOS.

Home v Chesterton (IN)

Home v Cardinal Ritter (MO)
I was at the alumni luncheon yesterday. Should gave worded it play out of state team week one. The coach said he'd announced it next week. I was deferring to him. But I guess the cat was already out the bag. One year contract for the first week. Chesterton, Cardinal Ritter, Loyola, and Montini all at home first four weeks. Wear out that season pass early. Finish on road with Benet and ND. Tight schedule.

What type of team will they field after the debacle last year? Any idea if many kids transferred out?
I misunderstood who the poster was talking about my apologies. It's Valentine's Day I'm trying to get all of my apologizing for the last 365 days done today.

Last edited:
I was at the alumni luncheon yesterday. Should gave worded it play out of state team week one. The coach said he'd announced it next week. I was deferring to him. But I guess the cat was already out the bag. One year contract for the first week. Chesterton, Cardinal Ritter, Loyola, and Montini all at home first four weeks. Wear out that season pass early. Finish on road with Benet and ND. Tight schedule.
Four games at home to start the season? Anyone ever play all their games at home?

Now I know why I’m not invited to those important luncheons. He told the team. What’s a teenager to do

Tough sched. 5 wins?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT